• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hisaya Nakajo's Hana-Kimi Shōjo Manga Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this that manga with a ton of pretty boys? This is some classic stuff. Kinda surprised this hasn't made into anime yet.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga but I'll for sure check out the anime!
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 am Reply with quote
OMG WHAT???? AFTER ALL THESE YEARS Anime hyper I remember reading this in highschool, it was one of the first shoujos I read. Good memories. I don't know if it will click with today's audienece but still good news I guess.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:36 am Reply with quote
I totally forgot the anime for this was announced way back then. Not a fan of this series, but happy for a lot of my old school anime friends who were.

I remember someone saying its live action adaptations were surprisingly good.
Sahpile

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm beyond happy to see Hana-kimi come back in 2024 as an anime!! The manga is such a comfort read for me, I must've read it at least over 10 times.

I cannot wait for the anime, I hope they are going to cover the entire manga (considering it's been done for 20 years, I really hope they do) like they did with the Fruits Basket reboot.

So excited for this, I can't wait!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, that's a real blast from the past.

I remember this being one of the first shoujo manga I ever read... and it really left a lasting impression on me. I particularly remember Mizuki's legitimate anxiety about her "big secret" being discovered throughout the series.

Reason for that... despite "being a boy" when I was growing up, I felt extremely similar to Mizuki around "other" boys in middle and high school - locker rooms were absolutely the worst. Yeesh... I get shivers running up my spine just thinking about it even 15-20 years later.

Funnily enough... turns out I was never a boy to begin with. Just a girl with the incredible inconvenience of the wrong body... I still hate locker rooms though, regardless of gender. Like, why can't we all just have dedicated changing stalls? Wouldn't that be so much nicer for everyone?

Edit: fixing formatting
tailor31415

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:05 pm Reply with quote
wow!! I never would have imagined this getting an anime after all this time. such a sweet series. it could be paced pretty quickly and be done in 2 seasons if they really want.

begging for Tokyo Crazy Paradise to get an adaptation now!!!
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I remember someone saying its live action adaptations were surprisingly good.

The 2007 Japanese television drama was really popular (ikenai taiyooooo) and I've heard people say that the 2011 version wasn't that iconic in comparison. I've also heard that the South Korean one was really good.
MyrmidonMamori

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Really?! Wouldn't have expected it would be on showrunner's radars after all this time! I haven't read the manga, to be honest, but the J-drama is really funny! Shame about the mangaka, though, I didn't know she passed.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
Whoa this was unexpected! I could have sworn this had an anime already but I’m shocked to find out it does not! I watched one of the live action series when I was a kid and loved it.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:19 am Reply with quote
Mindblowing. I don't think I've caught whiff of any news of this getting an anime before this one... But damn, who knew one of the first shojos I've ever read as a teenager hungry for anything that looked like anime has a shot at getting an adaptation after such a loong time (but I guess there's always Banana Fish to point at as well). This retro boom/shojo revival of sorts coming from out of the blue always makes me think the industry is running out of ideas, but I'm all for it. Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
FINALLY. This is gonna be fun.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting She's the Man vibes!
I'll watch it.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaaaah! Smile Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! Very Happy AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!Exclamation

Like others here, Hana-kimi is one of the first series that got me into manga and shoujo. It was the first series that I started buying the volumes and I still have them all. I've watched the drama and am PSYCHED BEYOND REASON to hear this.

This is my warning to everyone I know, I will talk about this nonstop for the foreseeable future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1