• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - So, Is Sound Euphonium Queerbaiting or Not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, but I always think back to Bakemonogtari where Kanbaru just comes out and says "I'm a lesbian." It's that simple and it sure didn't hurt Bakemonogatari's mainstream appeal any. More like that, please.
Isn't Bakemonogatari also the show where the same lesbian ends up falling in love with the straight cis male MC because he was nice to her during her arc? I love Bakemonogatari as much as the next weeb but if we're slamming shows like YOI and Sound Euphonioum for not being explicit enough, Bakemonogatari isn't better when the lesbian falls for the male MC and said male MC is always obnoxious about her being a lesbian.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
No, but I always think back to Bakemonogtari where Kanbaru just comes out and says "I'm a lesbian." It's that simple and it sure didn't hurt Bakemonogatari's mainstream appeal any. More like that, please.
Isn't Bakemonogatari also the show where the same lesbian ends up falling in love with the straight cis male MC because he was nice to her during her arc? I love Bakemonogatari as much as the next weeb but if we're slamming shows like YOI and Sound Euphonioum for not being explicit enough, Bakemonogatari isn't better when the lesbian falls for the male MC and said male MC is always obnoxious about her being a lesbian.

That does not, in fact, happen. Kanbaru never expresses romantic feelings for Araragi and her sequel series is about her relationship with another girl.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 am Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:

That does not, in fact, happen. Kanbaru never expresses romantic feelings for Araragi and her sequel series is about her relationship with another girl.
I watched all of the original series and she definitely shown to flirt with Araragi throughout her arc and she's portrayed as obsessed with yaoi. I enjoyed the Monogatari franchise but it's very much a late night otaku male fantasy fetish show and written to appeal to their fantasies and is most certainly not a mainstream show. If you wanted to pick an example of explicit lesbian rep in anime and manga, there's hundreds of yuri tiles you could have picked one before turning to Monogatari as the ideal mainstream rep.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I watched all of the original series and she definitely shown to flirt with Araragi throughout her arc and she's portrayed as obsessed with yaoi. I enjoyed the Monogatari franchise but it's very much a late night otaku male fantasy fetish show and written to appeal to their fantasies and is most certainly not a mainstream show. If you wanted to pick an example of explicit lesbian rep in anime and manga, there's hundreds of yuri tiles you could have picked one before turning to Monogatari as the ideal mainstream rep.

Shockingly, a gay character liking gay stories does not make them less gay. And if Kanbaru ever showed actual interest in Araragi beyond screwing with him for fun, you'll have to point it out because that's as far as I remember it going.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Monogatari 100% utilizes the male gaze to over-sexualize the lesbian, and her teasing Araragi is definitely part of that, but in the novels, it is repeatedly made clear that both characters are aware that it is teasing and she doesn't have romantic feelings for him, so her commitment as a lesbian is never actually questioned, which is something. I agree it's a bad example of a show doing a lesbian character for the sake of a lesbian audience (it's definitely for the male audience), but as an aside, you would be shocked at just how many lesbians read and draw BL like it's an obsession. A lot of us are attracted more to the equal social standing of the characters (no gendered coupling status), and don't really care about what gender the characters are. It's hard to find that with het romance in manga, and while yuri is cute and heartwarming sometimes, it's also rare to find yuri drawn by actual lesbians telling lesbian stories for other lesbians (they're all drawing BL manga, go figure). Just more food for thought. ^^
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Nev999 wrote:
...Do girls have to have sex onscreen for you to think "that's gay"?)

Less like that please. That's just bad writing. If you need exposition to explain everything, you're not doing it correctly.

"Having a character explicitly confirm they're LGBT is bad writing" is... not a take I ever expected to hear.

I know it's not a common one. I actually really liked this show and I wonder why not just leave it to the story itself? Do the 2 people actually in love need to state their preference? Maybe if you treat the romance as natural as it unfolds in the story, it truly won't matter if its explicitly stated (probably far more powerful actually). Then again, I enjoy ambiguity and the ability to interpret the complexity of the tale. Spelling everything out is boring, and I find terribly uninspired. It's like reading a series of webtoons where the main character immediately declares to the reader something like, "I'm gay". Okay. You probably didn't have to tell me that. I could figure it out from the story itself and the author can do better (perhaps they feel the need to rush the point?). Again, I feel like that's a horrible method of representing sexuality in media. I mean, if it's a webtoon, I'm not expecting much. But if you're going to spend time crafting an animated story, I just think it can be better.

First you're saying that that a girl confessing her love to another girl is not enough to convince you she's gay/queer or even in love, that she has to get an anime nosebleed and somehow express that she's having sex/ experiencing specifically sexual attraction, despite the fact there are plenty of gay people that don't have high libidos or any at all (I'm one of them) and feel romantic attraction first and foremost. Despite the fact there are plenty of chaste het romances that don't do this, Now you're saying them confirming they're gay is bad writing and instead they should just say they're in love (which you won't accept as evidence they're gay or in love). Which is it? Do characters have to jump through hoops and blatantly state things het couples don't have to before you accept that they're queer or do you hate it when they actually express they're queer? I think at this point you have to admit you want to interpret them as a straight and you don't like it when they talk about their identities because then you can't do that. That's why you like "ambiguity". If you're honest about it, I can at least respect that.

Plenty of young girls in a relationship are aware they're gay before they get in a relationship. Actually, I'd say most of them are.

And as has been pointed out, real gay people say "I'm gay" all the time, especially if they've had an epiphany about their sexuality, are coming out or broaching the idea of a romantic relationship. I and my partner talk about being lesbians all the time and have a litany of jokes based on our experiences as a lesbian. Those webtoons you hate are likely queer people reflecting their own experiences. But you've made it clear that's something you don't like.

I also notice that no one has argued my statement that if a het couple had a scene like Reina and Kumiko's you'd expect this to be followed up on and become a romantic plotline and it would be baffling if the story dropped it with zero explanation. Probably because you know this is right, but don't want to admit it to either yourselves or me.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
First you're saying that that a girl confessing her love to another girl is not enough to convince you she's gay/queer or even in love, that she has to get an anime nosebleed and somehow express that she's having sex/ experiencing specifically sexual attraction, despite the fact there are plenty of gay people that don't have high libidos or any at all (I'm one of them) and feel romantic attraction first and foremost. Despite the fact there are plenty of chaste het romances that don't do this, Now you're saying them confirming they're gay is bad writing and instead they should just say they're in love (which you won't accept as evidence they're gay or in love). Which is it? Do characters have to jump through hoops and blatantly state things het couples don't have to before you accept that they're queer or do you hate it when they actually express they're queer? I think at this point you have to admit you want to interpret them as a straight and you don't like it when they talk about their identities because then you can't do that. That's why you like "ambiguity". If you're honest about it, I can at least respect that.

I think you're misinterpreting what the poster you're responding to said. That poster seemed to be indicating that they prefer interpreting sexual preference and romance from context rather than forthright declarations. I can't say I agree with that (I prefer more straightforward declarations myself), but the poster isn't denying the veracity of such declarations.

Quote:
I also notice that no one has argued my statement that if a het couple had a scene like Reina and Kumiko's you'd expect this to be followed up on and become a romantic plotline and it would be baffling if the story dropped it with zero explanation.

But this does happen with het couples, too, and (unfortunately) not all that infrequently in anime.

In general, you're getting rather aggressive here, so please tone down any future responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oilers2007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 pm Reply with quote
"Having a character explicitly confirm they're LGBT is bad writing" is... not a take I ever expected to hear.

I think it's a simple case of if nothing is ever confirmed then there's plausible deniability and wiggle room for people's head-canons to still exist. Because 9 times out of 10 when it comes to stuff like this any hard confirmation in an anime or manga is one that goes against what certain people want. See when the director of this series explicitly saying it's platonic friendship. If they never said that then yuri fans could still insist this was a yuri series and anyone who didn't see it as such were wrong and clearly not understanding the series. It comes down to which side of the argument a series being ambiguous will help.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
...I actually really liked this show and I wonder why not just leave it to the story itself? Do the 2 people actually in love need to state their preference?...

Yes, because clearly stating things would avoid these pointless Internet shipping discussions. Maybe we need to bring over the on-screen stat sheets from contemporary isekai and have them include gender and relationship preferences.

oilers2007 wrote:

I think it's a simple case of if nothing is ever confirmed then there's plausible deniability and wiggle room for people's head-canons to still exist. Because 9 times out of 10 when it comes to stuff like this any hard confirmation in an anime or manga is one that goes against what certain people want.

Why is this considered a good outcome as opposed to eliminating ambiguity - increased audience/commercial success?

oilers2007 wrote:
See when the director of this series explicitly saying it's platonic friendship. If they never said that then yuri fans could still insist this was a yuri series and anyone who didn't see it as such were wrong and clearly not understanding the series. It comes down to which side of the argument a series being ambiguous will help.

I will always take the side of authorial intent over what I want to see (otherwise I should write my own story).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm coming like two weeks late, but the queerbaiting in Euphonium really annoyed me. Specially since that relationship became the only thing I was actually enjoying of that series other than the beautiful animation since I'm not big on neither sports anime or group drama. The Taki-sensei stuff, coming after that seduction scene, felt like a punch to the teeth. I gave it another chance with S2 but... yeah, no. All that beautiful rendition was being used on a base I had absolutely no interest on, so I've stayed off UFO there on.
I didn't even give a chance to the Liz and the Blue Bird film no matter how much people insisted on how beautiful it is, and how gay. From Euphonium? And with those two characters in particular knowing them from S2? Nah, pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6