• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Story of Saiunkoku (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moobkrad

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - (The) Story of Saiunkoku (TV)
Season 2 - (The) Story of Saiunkoku Second Series (TV2)

Genres: drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: bishounen, feminism, historical, male harem, politics

Plot Summary: Saiunkoku is a world of eight provinces or houses, each named after a different colour. The new Emperor, Shi Ryuuki, has gained for a reputation for being uninterested in courtly matters and for flaunting his love for men. Shuurei, although born of the important Kou family, has difficulty making ends meet. She easily accepts an invitation to be the Emperor's concubine in order to turn him into a good ruler.

The mysterious Seiran, a young man who was adopted by her father, goes with her as Ryuuki's bodyguard. Entering the imperial palace revives Shuurei's dream of being a court official, and, together with the many companions she meets along the way, continues moving bravely forward while trying to fend off the Emperor's advances.
----------------------------------

I got this recently. I have to say, this is one of the best I have seen in a while. I think this is how 12 Kingdoms could have been.

Saiunkoku Monogatari has great music, not really good as a stand alone, but it covers the ambiance and the mood really good. The first thing I saw was the intro, the opening song just pull me into it. There are many series I have, which I look at the intro and I end up putting the anime aside for later.

Each episode is named after either a Chinese proverb or Japanese saying, which in a way you learn something from each. I like while they are introducing characters into the series, they explain how the government works and what each position does. So in essence, with this understanding, you can get more into the plot.

There are 39 Episodes for the first season and they are out up to 9 or so for the second season.

Just because I don't want it to end, I haven't watched the last 5 episodes (of the first season) yet.

What do you guys think of it?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally, it seemed like a strictly inferior version to Twelve Kingdoms if you ask me. I was genuinely into the first arc of the show, but after that, as I had all my hopes dashed by the increasingly cliche and cheesy shoujo romance plot I lost all interest to follow it. Interestingly enough, I also have only seen through episode 34, and I don't want to finish it because I have so many other things I'd rather be doing, like poking needles into my eyes.

Ok, so it's not that bad, but considering that if I had to rate it right now I would give it a medium 6 (and it's only that high because of the first arc), I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Although I enjoyed the fact that the older politicians treated her in a way that they probably would have in real life, the ever increasing array of uber bishounen guys who follow her around and try to protect her, combined with the amount of emphasis placed on just how pretty and perfect and strong the guys were, and then watching all of these silly shoujo-y characteristics from the guys, I could barely watch the show. It was sweet and all with how the emperor felt about her, and to watch some of the things he did during the first arc as he was a genuinely interesting character... but when they cut back to him every episode, even when he wasn't doing anything aside from worrying about Shuhei, sending her some stupid gift, or like the time when he leaves the palace for NO reason and chases after Shuhei without even sleeping only to turn around without even talking to her immediately following him help to save their lives. She was clearly in a dangerous situation, and she needed his help in that circumstance to escape, what about the next time that happened? Obviously he doesn't think that that was the one and only time that she would ever be put into such a situation, why on earth would he turn around if the danger to her life is proven?! Because he's the king? Clearly that wasn't an issue to him when he just up and left the palace to catch up with his girl who had been traveling non-stop every day for like 2 months at that point. Ugh, so much unneeded romantic drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The first 20 episodes were really nice, with the introductions and development of many interesting characters. However, the final arc was very unoriginal and failed to generate interest.

The first season left us with a lot of questions and "if"s. Instead of answering those questions, we were given lots and lots of Shuurei and Ryuuki and Sakujun, none of which are what I would consider to be solid and interesting characters.

Comparing to Twelve Kingdoms, Saiunkoku Monogatari lacked some realism, but most importantly lacked a strong base for a story to develop. The story only touched on the few characters that revolved around Shuurei, which failed to fill in the big picture of the world and politics, resulting in a very strong shoujo feel being oozed out.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked Saiunkoku Monogatari but it's not one of my favorites. It has a nice story and it's actually kinda funny. I thought it was gonna be boring and serious since on the surface, it looked like it was boring and serious.

People seem to compare it to Fushigi Yuugi as well because of the ancient china setting and the reverse harem, but that's all they have in common.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
While it's not in my top ten or anything, I'd still say that Saiunkoku Monogatari was pretty good. Yes, the bishies were all ridiculously good-looking and they all had a special place in their hearts for Shuurei, but that's unusual...how exactly? In that regard, no, I don't think it broke any new ground, but not every aspect of every series out there is going to, either.

But, one thing that I did appreciate, and consider to be a welcome change from the norm, was that Shuurei didn't act like a typical shoujo herione at the end (because I've actually watched the end of the first season Wink ). Her choice spoiler[to acknowledge the Emperor's feelings, while remaining true to her goal, set her apart from other heriones because she didn't throw away her own identity and goals to become some guy's love interest. I liked the overall message that she sent -- that she didn't need a man to complete her or coddle her, and that her own goals were important, too. Yes, many of the male characters in the show wanted to protect her and care for her, but I think she made it pretty clear that that wasn't what she wanted. Mutual support for the good of the kingdom, yes; unwarranted testosterone-laden cosseting, no. ]

As for the comparisons to Fushigi Yuugi and Twelve Kingdoms, I can see why they're made, but the biggest problem I can see with that association is that Shuurei isn't from another world; she lives there, and has a deep-seated interest in the well-being of the kingdom, which is pretty much the impetus for all of her actions, really.

I'm not saying that Saiunkoku Monogatari is entirely without flaws, but I don't think it merits needles in the eyeballs, either. Wink Some story arcs were more interesting than others, some interesting characters weren't fully utilized or fleshed out (spoiler[I have to say that I really liked Saa Sakujun, and hope he'll be back Sad ]), but Shuurei's character made up for a lot of it, in my opinion.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:

spoiler[unwarranted testosterone-laden cosseting, no. ]

Aw, come on! Every girl needs a little of that every now and then!

I really think that I'm going to get this one. The positive comments are beating the negatives...so far!
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
As for the comparisons to Fushigi Yuugi and Twelve Kingdoms, I can see why they're made, but the biggest problem I can see with that association is that Shuurei isn't from another world; she lives there, and has a deep-seated interest in the well-being of the kingdom, which is pretty much the impetus for all of her actions, really.

I haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms yet (My brother said it's boring, so I'm putting it off for awhile) but I have watched FushigI Yuugi (It's one of my faves) and I can say that I like Shuurei much better than Miaka. First of all, Shuurei knows what she's doing. She doesn't really need to make mistakes to realize what's right. She's levelheaded and she's really smart. Plus she focuses more on her work and not boys. Plus she doesn't scream "Tamahome!" or something like that helplessly.

I still like FY more though Laughing
Moobkrad

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watch Fushigi Yuugi.

I have to agree with some of the posts about Twelve Kingdoms. It was great, however, what I didn't like was that they didn't explain much how the government work at the beginning. So during several parts of the plot I was completely lost. In Sauinkoku Monogatari, was totally the opposite. They concentrated on that aspect of the show in comparison.

spoiler[Then the anime finished in a point were another story started and they left so many stories open.] And what do the developers have to say about it.... "We ran out of ideas." I was looking forward to get the novels, I read somewhere they would be available in English around 2007. But i haven't heard anything since

I really liked Saiunkoku Monogatari, however still is not one of my favorites. For some reason I really got into it compared to others. I'm aware of it's flaws, and there are certain parts which I dislike. But overall I do recommend it.

Saa Sakujun reminds me of Albedo in Xenosaga (the video game).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Moobkrad wrote:

spoiler[Then the anime finished in a point were another story started and they left so many stories open.] And what do the developers have to say about it.... "We ran out of ideas." I was looking forward to get the novels, I read somewhere they would be available in English around 2007. But i haven't heard anything since

The Twelve Kingdoms novels are out. I recently got the first one and enjoyed the heck out of it. I did have to order it from Barnes & Nobel since they didn't have it in my local store but I got it in about 1 week. I'm looking forward to the rest!

TRSI is having a Tokyo Pop sale going on right now so this would be a good time for you to get it from them.
imrhien

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I haven't seen either Twelve Kingdoms or Fushigi Yuugi to compare it to, but I quite liked this show. I loved the setting and the design, even if the idea wasn't the most original ever. Some of it was slightly ridiculous, yes, and the boys were significantly outnumbering the girls, but I became very fond of this show. I liked a lot of the characters in it. Primarily, actually, I found the men who very clearly weren't possible love interests for Shuurei more interesting (I mean, as good looking as Seiran was, he had about as much personality as a blank piece of paper.)

frouella wrote:

But, one thing that I did appreciate, and consider to be a welcome change from the norm, was that Shuurei didn't act like a typical shoujo herione at the end (because I've actually watched the end of the first season Wink ). Her choice spoiler[to acknowledge the Emperor's feelings, while remaining true to her goal, set her apart from other heriones because she didn't throw away her own identity and goals to become some guy's love interest. I liked the overall message that she sent -- that she didn't need a man to complete her or coddle her, and that her own goals were important, too.]

I agree with you 100% there. It mightn't have been the most groundbreaking show ever, but it sent a good message. I especially loved that this 'feminist' message was coming from an anime set in ancient China. Wink I'm really looking forward to being able to buy the DVDs. Although, not living in America, that's probably a long way away *sigh*.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
imrhien wrote:
I'm really looking forward to being able to buy the DVDs. Although, not living in America, that's probably a long way away *sigh*.

No it's not!

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Fi2MSmjoGwVqmYjKFH/browse/item/74560/4/0/0

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1