• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball GT

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Spiegel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone had mentioned this, or if anyone else has seen this. I was at the FUNimation website a few minutes ago to see when Dragonball GT was going to start on Cartoon Network. And the site mentioned that DBGT is going to start on CN Friday, November 7th.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't skip to the "action" like the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I've heard they are...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ricbrist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:50 am Reply with quote
what do you mean by skip the "action". and i wonder if there gonna start from the begiining.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:31 am Reply with quote
No, they're gonna start in the same place the DVD's did, around ep 18. They decided that there wasn't enough action in the first 17 eps, darn background crap. So in order to try and hook all those ADHD kiddies quickly so they wouldn't lose interest, they decided to jump right in to the action part, then when all these kids are sufficiently hooked, will go back and release the first 17 or so eps.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quote
I fail to see why people complain, because as it is those episodes were boring, dry, and obnoxious. Perhpas it would of been better if they had a DVD of the first three episodes, then skipped to a later part, but it wouldn't of mattered anyway. Also, barring the first few episodes, the other 12 or so serve as poor fillers for an already bad series.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:00 am Reply with quote
Aww man, I liked those episodes. they may not have been action packed like DBZ, but they were more of a throwback to the original series. If they bothered keeping all the school stuff at the beginning of Buu saga, why not keep those?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Part of the reason they kept all those school eps at the beginning of the Buu saga is because they were actually the Great Saiyaman saga, and were used to show how much everyone had grown and where they were now to set everything up for the World Tournament saga and then the Babidi and Majin Buu sagas. They were also put in to introduce the fans to Videl, Mr. Satan's daughter and later on spoiler[Gohan's wife and mother to Pan.]

I will agree though that there really wasn't any need to leave out the opening eps for GT though in both the DVD release and the upcoming airing. From everything I've seen, it truly is subpar to the original and Z, and was only done as a last ditch effort to milk more money out of a fading franchise, even though a still liked one. That fact alone is evident since the series creator basically wanted nothing to do with GT, and for those who don't know, nope it wasn't done by Toriyama.[/spoiler]
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I fail to see why people complain, because as it is those episodes were boring, dry, and obnoxious. Perhpas it would of been better if they had a DVD of the first three episodes, then skipped to a later part, but it wouldn't of mattered anyway. Also, barring the first few episodes, the other 12 or so serve as poor fillers for an already bad series.

If that is the case, why don't CN just skip the first half of Kenshin and jump in the Kyoto Arc. Ahhh, story maybe. People always complain about cenorship ruins the art, will Fun ruined a series (Yes, I know it wasn't that good, but still.) And that is why I have yet to buy a GT DVD or planning on watching the series, until they fix the error, if there going to be one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see how those 12 or so epiosdes, bar the ones where they go into space, as decent storyline episodes. Yes, they could of done the same with kenshin, but unlike Kenshin, GT is targetted towards a hyperactive childhood stereotype of OMFG TEH POWA LEVELZZ !!111EWONE!

Not to say all DB fans are like that. I'd know for sure Smile

Also it could be debated that unlike GT, all of Kenshin would of already been done. And Kenshin also has more of an anime-related fanbase, as opposed to a lot of DB fans, where DB was actually their first. Though I doubt any of this made sense
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:40 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I fail to see how those 12 or so epiosdes, bar the ones where they go into space, as decent storyline episodes. Yes, they could of done the same with kenshin, but unlike Kenshin, GT is targetted towards a hyperactive childhood stereotype of OMFG TEH POWA LEVELZZ !!111EWONE!

Dude, you missed the point. Compare to the Kyoto Sage, the first half of the series, there was less action, but more story. What Fun has done is drop the part of series with the less action, they also drop some of the story. I really don't think a 30 minute short will cover it. I could care less about the action (Which is way I'm more of DB fan then DBZ and DB GT fan.) Sure, the first couple were boring part of series where they just started they rather short trip in to space, but it's like cutting the Fake Namek Saga out of Z. Sure the hardcore fans won't miss it, (Because it was a fillier.) but they'll wonder why it was drop since it was in the TV Series. To get the action maybe, but then they will screaming and belly aching like I am. Razz I rather see the series as a whole or none at all.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:17 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, they fully intend to relaese the first set of episodes they skipped. They just wanted to jump right into the action on TV without having a bunch of people wondering why they didn't start at the beginning, like they would if they had started the DVD release at the beginning. This way they can start at the same place they released on DVD, and the majority of the fans out there won't know any better, then in say a year they can pull out those first set of eps and release them without too much of a hassle. From what I've seen of the DVD's, no where on them does it say what volume it is, I may be wrong there, so when they release the other eps, what's now Vol. 1 can easily turn into vol. 5 without any problems.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
From what I understand, they fully intend to relaese the first set of episodes they skipped. They just wanted to jump right into the action on TV without having a bunch of people wondering why they didn't start at the beginning, like they would if they had started the DVD release at the beginning. This way they can start at the same place they released on DVD, and the majority of the fans out there won't know any better, then in say a year they can pull out those first set of eps and release them without too much of a hassle.

That is the probelm. Sure they won't know until Fun releases the "Lost Epiodes", but for the people that know, it just shows how stupid Fun is. Sure a rep can on and say "The reason why did this is becasue the first couple of epiodes are like watching paint dry in winter.", but they still don't understand the fans that have watched the fansubs and get upset that they cut the a good chunk of the series to keep the people that only see Goku can kick everyone butt from getting bored out their little minds. I much rather CN told Fun to hold what they got, dub the part of the series they jump before they will air it. Sure it might be a extra couple of weeks, but it's smarter to do that then upsetting the other half of the fans that want to see the series a whole then a part.

Tiresias wrote:
From what I've seen of the DVD's, no where on them does it say what volume it is, I may be wrong there, so when they release the other eps, what's now Vol. 1 can easily turn into vol. 5 without any problems.

Yeah, they didn't do that to the Dragonball and Dragonball Z, but the thing is that they have Ep 1 on the first DVD. There will be confusion that will come when they jump back the epiodes they skipped.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Is it the actual episode 1, or is it something they can just call a filler episode at a later time? Cause if it is ep 1, I can definitly agree on their stupidity in this matter and the difficulties of just adding in the first set of eps.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
I rather see the series as a whole or none at all.

Considering it's DBGT, the "none at all" option seems very, very nice compared to having it stink up Toonami any more than it's already been stunk up, thus far.

Hmm...but on the other hand...if they cancelled their pathetic excuse for "Kenshin" and ran DBGT instead of it...they might have something there. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2