• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Windy Tales

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darknight55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I'd have to say this one took me by suprise. The animation at first looked a little fugly but by the end of the series I'd say it sort of blossomed into a very unique feel, kind of like a moving painting...

The series itself was very good, it was sort of imbued with an innocence I found devoid in some other series but was overall very grounded in the real world. With kids texting and the like. Wink Some of the episodes such as the spoiler[kick the can] one seemed so full of pure, happy nostalgia for my younger days... I mean who wouldn't want to spoiler[play kick the can in an abandoned factory late at night?] That would be so cool.... Very Happy

Yeah... I really like the whole way the balanced it between being rooted in the present and pure innocence and yet focusing on pretty interesting larger cultural concepts I had never really heard of in an anime before...spoiler[That talk of Malaysia in that one episode in the nurse's office made me feel like I was right there amd hanami and those quotes from famous Japanese literature in the sakura episode... those were very interesting...]

So... anyone else seen it? What do you guys think...?
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
I finished Windy Tales fairly recently and it instantly became one of my favourites. In fact it was probably Windy Tales that put an end to my enjoyment of a lot of loli anime, and since finishing it I've pretty much vowed to never even begin watching an anime that looks like it could be moe.
I don't know what it is about me but my favourite anime is almost all about high school girls, I'm kinda ashamed to say that but I'm proud to admit that none of it is moe or loli (I don't consider Azumanga loli). I'm always attracted to anime titles that look like they could have something interesting to say whether it be moral or philsophical as opposed to series that just exist so they can have a shot of an 8-year old high school student licking an ice-cream. Windy Tales doesn't fit into either category yet I love it so much.

First of all I love the animation style in Windy Tales - mainly because it's not all glossy. The character designs are excellent. They look so cute and innocent without giving off any sort of "loli-associated cute and innocence". And they blend into the background and the wind perfectly.

Second of all the series has two of my favourite episodes of all time. Episode 5 and 10 are incredible. Episode 5 is the one you mentioned and I love it for the reasons you stated. In their discussions it feels like I'm actually contributing and as if I'm there nodding in agreement. I almost feel like I'm experiencing the memories and hallucinations which was such an amazing experience for me as a viewer! Episode 10 is where I raised the series up a notch to 10 out of 10 Razz .

Third of all is the music. The OP and ED songs are a bit corny for my liking and I don't think they even suit the series. In my opinion they sounded too melancholy-pop for Windy Tales. But the music during the episodes was excellent and so nostalgic. The sound of the wind with that tune in the background made me want to fall asleep but stay awake in case I missed anything.

Fourth of all the series is one of those rare treats that are good just because they are. Windy Tales doesn't need to rely on the viewer's capacity to read between the lines or understand any allusions to important texts or ideas. The series made a universe of it's own and in all honesty it's something I'd expect to dream of, what with a normal school life then one day I see a flying cat and then learn to fly myself. Of course some knowledge of Japan would help, I think part of the reason why I liked it so much because I watched during my year of exchange in a Japanese high school so everything seems so... real but dreamy at the same time - like one of my daydreams as I sit and stare out the classroom window. It's actually scary how much the school in the series looks like the one I go to and how I sit in the exact same seat as Nao did when she saw the cat. I don't expect everyone to like the series as much as me for that reason but still I'm sure everyone can appreciate it anyway.

I'm glad that there's someone else out there who watched it and liked it. I could go through and talk about it episode by episode if I felt like it, but I don't think there's enough people out there who like it as much as me.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
I also like Windy Tales. The animation is a bit strange but I quickly used to that. Besides i don't care about animation in anime so much I think the most important are characters and the plot.

The episode with kick the can was nostalgic for me, as well. This recalled my memories about game that was very similar to kick the can and the only difference is that I with my friends instead of the can we used a ball.

The dreamy character of this series reminiscing me about cartoons that I watched when I was small. I agree with Amasa that music during episodes was better. The OP and ED was too sleepy IMO
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
If it wasn't licensed by one of the most notorious licensors I would have bought it already. Sad

Amasa wrote:
In fact it was probably Windy Tales that put an end to my enjoyment of a lot of loli anime, and since finishing it I've pretty much vowed to never even begin watching an anime that looks like it could be moe.
I don't know what it is about me but my favourite anime is almost all about high school girls, I'm kinda ashamed to say that but I'm proud to admit that none of it is moe or loli (I don't consider Azumanga loli).

What's the matter dude? Why can't you love them both like I do? Wink

Aylinn wrote:
The episode with kick the can was nostalgic for me, as well.

For me, the best episode was the one with spoiler[Nao and Miki trying to submit a photo of their athlete classmate for competition. Their photo won the second prize, and the moment they saw who's in the first prize picture was] one of the most emotional memories in my life as an anime fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Darknight55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't think the OP or ED were that... sleepy... Laughing the ED had a nice hook...

And yeah thats what I was trying to say Amasa about a sort of innocence about the series yet it acknowledges there's a bigger world about it... spoiler[i.e. with Jun's impressions that Nao was trying to commit suicide, that crazy story about Malaysia, and all the technology of the modern world (Cell phones is what I'm mainly thinking of here but there might be others) ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1