• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Fall 2k3 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I guess I might as well add some of my thoughts on the new season since I've watched the first two or three episodes of almost everything on the list. Although I would like to add first that Tsukihime and Yami are both looking to be pretty good shows despite not being reviewed here. Yami, however, doesn't make a whole lot of sense until episode 3 (events in episode 3 take place before the events in episode 2 and parts of 1). Still I think it is one of the most creative and unique shows of the new season which alone is enough for me to keep watching. Also according to the fansub the story in Yami is different from the game (but it still has yuri elements and other things that may not still well with some people in it so its not for everyone).

Cromatic high: found some of it funny but not that funny (excel was funnier to me). But humor is a subjective thing so if you like parodies check it out.

Bottle fairy: I think its good if you like cute stuff and not looking for something deep. I also found episode 3 funny, almost as funny as Cromatic with the parodies on the romance genre. I also do wonder who the target audience is since some of the jokes may not be understood by children.

Peacermaker Kurogune: I don’t see why some people like it so much. So far in two episodes it doesn't seem to stand out from any of the other Kenshin wannabes. Although I did just see the Kenshin ova's before this so maybe that impacted my judgment. Still 2 minutes of action that reminded me of the just mentioned ova and 40 minutes of generic ness is not interesting enough to keep me watching this kind of anime.

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi: I thought the first one was average and it looks like this one is more of the same, which is annoying by the way because you would think it would be somewhat different two years later. Especially when you take into account how the first season ended it’s almost as if episode one was taking place during the middle of the first season.

Avenger: The first episode had potential but the second annoyed me greatly. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Gunslinger Girls: I'm not a fan of Noir and it does look similar to Noir is some ways but I think it has a chance to become really good and I heard good things about the manga so I'll keep watching.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien: first episode was so boring and generic but the second episode looks a little better so I guess I'll keep watching a little longer because I keep hearing how good this is going to be.

I pretty much agree with all the other reviews more or less except Gungrave, RoD, Saiyuki, and Gilgamesh which I haven't watched.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, how weird, I somehow didn't notice the obvious Montreal connection with Charge! Cromartie High, until I asked myself "Why 'Cromartie'?". Warren Cromartie was one of the Montreal Expos legendary players from 1974 to 1983, after which he played for the Yomiuri Giants, though he closed out his baseball career with the Kansas City Royals in 1991. That's neat that he got an anime named after him, unless there's some other "Cromartie" popular in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
ookami wrote:
Peacermaker Kurogune: I don’t see why some people like it so much. So far in two episodes it doesn't seem to stand out from any of the other Kenshin wannabes. Although I did just see the Kenshin ova's before this so maybe that impacted my judgment. Still 2 minutes of action that reminded me of the just mentioned ova and 40 minutes of generic ness is not interesting enough to keep me watching this kind of anime.

I'll admit that it does seem a bit like Kenshin, but that's mainly because it takes place in the same time period. I think your watching the OVA did impact your judgement. Peace Maker *I'm pointing out here it's two seperate words* in my opinion is more of a Naruto type show then Kenshin. I guess you could say that it's a mix of the two, but that's a mix of two very different shows. This series is not about an ex-assassin trying to live a normal life, it's about a kid trying to get into a bloody life for revenge.

People could also argue that Kenshin is a knock off of other samurai manga. :roll:
Lawn Dart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:53 am Reply with quote
I'll admit to being a large fan of Planetes after only two episodes. There was a thread here in the anime section lately about "mature anime" (no, not *that* kind of "mature") - and Planetes fits the bill. It's nice to have a series where the protaganist isn't a young, cool kid with an attitude or a youg brooding kid. The series doesn't lack action & drama - but it is missing fighting, which is way too prevalent in anime these days. People are right in that it's more about people just trying to do an unpopular job and dreaming of better things than any grand sci-fi theme - but that doesn't make it boring, and makes it more accesible to people who aren't neccesarily fans of science fiction. I just wonder how they will sustain it for a whole season.
ookami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
ookami wrote:

I'll admit that it does seem a bit like Kenshin, but that's mainly because it takes place in the same time period. I think your watching the OVA did impact your judgement. Peace Maker *I'm pointing out here it's two seperate words* in my opinion is more of a Naruto type show then Kenshin. I guess you could say that it's a mix of the two, but that's a mix of two very different shows. This series is not about an ex-assassin trying to live a normal life, it's about a kid trying to get into a bloody life for revenge.

People could also argue that Kenshin is a knock off of other samurai manga. Rolling Eyes

Yeah when I was watching it I was thinking "wow that kid is exactly like Naruto in a real world setting." I don't think the show is horrible just the story didn't look all that interesting to me. Also I know Kenshin isn't original either but it is the most popular show of its genre which usually means other shows want the same type of fame, hence the Kenshin wannabe statement (although it might be more accurately a naruto + kenshin wannabe in this case). I might give the show another chance if I drop one of the other 12 shows I'm watching but I still don't agree it's the best of the new season.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ookami wrote:
I might give the show another chance if I drop one of the other 12 shows I'm watching but I still don't agree it's the best of the new season.

Nah, it's not one of the best season. My best this season so far would have to be Full Metal Alchemist, Planetes, Tsukihime, and possibly Gilgamesh.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
So you people complain about the hero in Peace Maker being a "spunky kid who wants to be the best _____ in the world" but you say Full Metal Alchemist is one of the best shows of the new season? Are you joking me? Peace Maker at least has serious drama behind it (also, keep watching it; if it follows the manga, then the story becomes very serious and very dark pretty quick, as with most revenge stories), Alchemist is the ultimate generic "I'm going to be the best _____ in the world!" story with 12830183 episodes and neverending fights. They have an initial order of 52 episodes for Alchemist. That screams "generic neverending shonen action" to me. So far, littlegreenwolf, I think you're one of two people who I've heard actually liked Tsukihime.

-Z
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So far, littlegreenwolf, I think you're one of two people who I've heard actually liked Tsukihime.

-Z

I wonder if it's just the type of people I hang out with. All my friends are crazy for it too.
ookami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So you people complain about the hero in Peace Maker being a "spunky kid who wants to be the best _____ in the world" but you say Full Metal Alchemist is one of the best shows of the new season? Are you joking me? Peace Maker at least has serious drama behind it (also, keep watching it; if it follows the manga, then the story becomes very serious and very dark pretty quick, as with most revenge stories), Alchemist is the ultimate generic "I'm going to be the best _____ in the world!" story with 12830183 episodes and neverending fights. They have an initial order of 52 episodes for Alchemist. That screams "generic neverending shonen action" to me. So far, littlegreenwolf, I think you're one of two people who I've heard actually liked Tsukihime.

-Z

I don't know if that was partically directed at me but I agreed with you about full metal alchemist. As for Tsukihime you're one of the few that I have heard bad things about it from. Almost everyone I've heard from who has actually watched it has said positive things and I agree it does look promising based on the first two episodes but I really need to see more before saying anything more then that.

Last edited by ookami on Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pythos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Peace Maker at least has serious drama behind it (also, keep watching it; if it follows the manga, then the story becomes very serious and very dark pretty quick, as with most revenge stories)...
-Z

Drama, humor, good pacing......Peace Maker is at the top of my watch list, along with Plantes.

ookami wrote:
As for Tsukihime you're one of the few that I have heard bad things about it from. Almost everyone I've heard from who has actually watched it has said positive things and I agree it does look promising based on the first two episodes but I really need to see more before saying anything more then that. Maybe you should at least watch the 3 minute preview (unless you already know more about it then just some negative comments) before completely dismissing it as trash.

Hey, count me as one of those who doesn't think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not impressed after the preview and 2 episodes. And I LIKE vampires! In fact, that's the only reason I watched through episode 2. But I've got too much to do to waste my time on something that "might" get better.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ookami wrote:
Zac wrote:

-Z

I don't know if that was partically directed at me but I agreed with you about full metal alchemist. As for Tsukihime you're one of the few that I have heard bad things about it from. Almost everyone I've heard from who has actually watched it has said positive things and I agree it does look promising based on the first two episodes but I really need to see more before saying anything more then that. Maybe you should at least watch the 3 minute preview (unless you already know more about it then just some negative comments) before completely dismissing it as trash.

You are taking Zac out of context there.... he said:

Quote:
Didn't have a raw when I did the guide. I heard it was bad anyway.

and
Quote:
I'll watch Tsukihime, but I heard it was pretty bad from multiple sources. Too late to add it to the guide, but ah well.

as well as
Quote:
So far, littlegreenwolf, I think you're one of two people who I've heard actually liked Tsukihime.

To summarize, he said... Hey, I heard it's bad, and I don't know of too many people that like it. I'm not optomistic about the series, but I'll check it out.

He didn't go over why it was bad and didn't dismiss it as trash. If you don't learn to read what he's saying, and instead, take him out of context, you will make an ass out of yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Lawn Dart wrote:
I'll admit to being a large fan of Planetes after only two episodes. There was a thread here in the anime section lately about "mature anime" (no, not *that* kind of "mature") - and Planetes fits the bill. It's nice to have a series where the protaganist isn't a young, cool kid with an attitude or a youg brooding kid. The series doesn't lack action & drama - but it is missing fighting, which is way too prevalent in anime these days. People are right in that it's more about people just trying to do an unpopular job and dreaming of better things than any grand sci-fi theme - but that doesn't make it boring, and makes it more accesible to people who aren't neccesarily fans of science fiction. I just wonder how they will sustain it for a whole season.

I wouldn't say that I wouldn't give any other series on Zac's list a fair shake should I ever get an opportunity to watch them, but, to be perfectly honest, Planetes is the only one out of the fifteen series which I'd go out of my way to watch, since it looks to be more of a "slice-of-life" sci-fi with an ensemble cast and a good dose of comic relief just like Patlabor. I hope it's a "sleeper" hit, since it doesn't look like the sort of show that would get much hype, at least within the North American fandom community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To summarize, he said... Hey, I heard it's bad, and I don't know of too many people that like it. I'm not optomistic about the series, but I'll check it out.

He didn't go over why it was bad and didn't dismiss it as trash. If you don't learn to read what he's saying, and instead, take him out of context, you will make an ass out of yourself.

Actually I did read that but I forgot and was thinking of this comment when I wrote that.

Quote:
I skipped Yami because I already had 15 shows to do inside of a day and a half (watching, writing both the synopsis and the review, doing all 15 images and captions, and also doing the HTML). Some stuff had to go, and I figured yet another show based on a hentai game could probably be left aside.

Which was way off sorry. But I never did say he said why it was bad, "dismissing it as trash" is my way of saying not giving it a chance and not watching it, not telling others its bad if thats what you think I meant. I was just trying to say that there are some that like and some that don't (more that like it from my experiences) so see for yourself (which I forget he said he would). I guess I'll just remove that sentence to avoid any further misunderstandings.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I've played the game for Yami to Boushi, though not too much, due to lack of time.

As far as anime is concerned, because of other things on my plate, I've been on the busy end there as well -_-

Because of that, I wanted to get opinions on the anime Since it hadn't been in the fall guide, I had been curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So you people complain about the hero in Peace Maker being a "spunky kid who wants to be the best _____ in the world" but you say Full Metal Alchemist is one of the best shows of the new season? Are you joking me? Peace Maker at least has serious drama behind it (also, keep watching it; if it follows the manga, then the story becomes very serious and very dark pretty quick, as with most revenge stories), Alchemist is the ultimate generic "I'm going to be the best _____ in the world!"

I'm well aware of the manga. I've been a fan of it for about half a year now. Mainly I'm just not letting myself become too attached to the anime. Over the past year I've seen several of my favorite manga *DNAngel for example* be turned into an anime, and have completely shunned the anime. Call me picky, but when it starts vering off the manga's plot, or goes past where I am in the manga, I'll just stop watching it. Personal thing for me. Course it's not really a reason I suppose why it's not on my list of fave anime so far. I just know I'll hate the show at some point. The manga though will continue to be on my top favorite list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5