• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita Extras

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keitarou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hi. New here.

It kinda sux that I just bought two more of the old Gn style but I will certainly buy the new setup to match the last order GN's. When it comes down to it I would much perfer the manga size to a graphic novel but in America I will live with what I can find. Finding the manga style so long from when they were released if very hard.

Viz has been taking many steps for the better recently. I do not know if this is from increased popularity/ marketability/ or competition or what not, but I don't care. They are printing the last order within a month of their release in Jump. Very Happy
I would assume that the format would be in the eastern style since the "smaller" Last order gn's are that way. I believe Tempest is correct, that these extras were not avalable to viz durring the origonal printing. Kishiro has writen lots of extras as far as side stories, notes, and plots for the game. I cant'e wait to see what is included.
If anyone knows where I kind find any of these or has Mission to Mars, I would gladly buy them, even untranslated.

The only thing I am dissapointed in is viz still using those stupid, butcher names. What the #@&* kind of a name is Alita anyway!!! I was hoping that in this day of accuracy and correctness that the new releases it would be called "Gun Dream" Gunnm, and that the main character would still be Gally. Kishiro himself commented on this in book 9.

Anyway I am happy to see renewed intrest in Gunnm. In America you get what you can or learn canji.
resorT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
hey keitarou welcome, I'm new myself so that makes us two.

I decided I'm gonna buy the new books. I haven't seen them yet so I'm curious about the extras.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Yes, it's annoying, but the only thing Viz can be faulted for is the way the seperated the volumes (they are however in the proper order, don't know where you got the idea that they were out of order).

Oh, that and changing Gally's name to Alita.

There's nothing wrong with "Alita," but there was nothing wrong with "Gally" either, there was no point in the change.

But they (Viz) haven't done anything like that in years, and hopefully they won't do it again...
FlimJam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I missed something about this, but I'd like to know about the anime release. ADV released the Gunnm two part OVA but the license expired and they no longer produce it. Are there any plans to re-release this at some point? Better yet, are there any plans to create a new one that follows the manga more closely?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I think no one can really do anything more because of some deal with James Cameron since he has the rights to certian stuff with Battle Angel Alita. Not sure of all the details.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:02 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised about all the controversy.

Okay, the re-releases have become a standard at Viz and my guess is that they are probably going to do it for most their titles.

Reason is, that back when these older titles were released, the standard was for a larger, flipped manga. Now the standard has changed, and they're re-issuing the manga for two purposes. First to introduce new readers, and second to make them available in what is the new standard format.

As for the extras, two notes. First, I've seen them, and I don't particularly think they are worth re-buying the series for, except for huge GUNM fans (like myself <sigh>). Secondly, as far as I am aware, these extras were not available when Viz frist released Alita. This is to say, that the Japanese release of these extras occurred after Viz licensed & released Alita, they were part of a Japanese re-release in a larger, "phone-book" format.

Yes, it's annoying, but the only thing Viz can be faulted for is the way the seperated the volumes (they are however in the proper order, don't know where you got the idea that they were out of order).
Well a good example of what the controversy is about is Dark Horse's Oh My Goddess manga. How long did they sell Vol -1 "555-Goddess" before they re-released the series complete with the original stories that took up 3 additional volumes? I agree that things are improving, and all the better for it. But it is highlighting just how bad it has been which is none the less lamentable.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:17 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Well a good example of what the controversy is about is Dark Horse's Oh My Goddess manga. How long did they sell Vol -1 "555-Goddess" before they re-released the series complete with the original stories that took up 3 additional volumes? I agree that things are improving, and all the better for it. But it is highlighting just how bad it has been which is none the less lamentable.

Umm, this isn't about DH, it's about Viz's release of Alita.

Other than the name change & the chapter breaks, what is there to complain abotu with Viz?

As I explained above, I don't see much to complain about.
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:06 pm Reply with quote
anyone with the time, could you please enlighten this lost soul, what was edited from the original GUNNM to the first Westernized release by Viz? I was not aware edits were made to the storyline, I personally take great offense to that, if it altered the chronology and presentation of the story as it was originally meant to be presented by creator. At the time of purchase I highly doubt many consumers or dealers were remotely aware "Alita" was edited beyond panel-flipping and linguistic translations. I for one did not know, if I did, yes it would have -greatly- impacted my decision to ultimately purchase Viz's Westernized versions. I fear and am extremely wary of edits, Evil or Very Mad to the original manga contents which detract from the original storyline and/or intentions of the creator(s). These are some of the exact reasons why I purchased: City Hunter, Ranma, Rayearth, Kimagure Orange Road, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Riki-Oh, Sanctuary, Guyver, Crying Freeman, and Slam Dunk, in their original Japanese format.

Does anyone have any definitive references and/or information they can cite for changes that have been made in GUNNM? Also, asides from change of Gally's name to Alita, I am looking for specific events, characters and chapters that occurred in the entire GUNNM series. I understand that artwork may not have been available for the previous release, I do not take issue with that, only the content alternations. And yes, I do own the complete Viz Westernized editions and I realize there are bound to be spoilers. So please feel free not to pull your punches and tell it like it is and in vivid details. Thank you!

On a sidenote, I have personally been advocating the enjoyment of un-Westernized manga translations for over a decade. Pity it has taken this long for companies like Viz to finally understand what many fans really want and what they will actually pay for. Anime dazed
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:21 pm Reply with quote
mahoro wrote:
anyone with the time, could you please enlighten this lost soul, what was edited from the original GUNNM to the first Westernized release by Viz?

The title was changed.

A few names were changed.

It was flipped.

The volume breaks were changed.

Art was touched up to to translate the sound effects.

That's it

-t
Woo Jae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:14 am Reply with quote
Well, IMHO, the as long as material isn't cut or edited to oblivion, viz's releases were decent. And Alita (or Gunnm) was one of the better translated manga, IMHO. I also believe that the content of this manga is less prone to "mistranslation"...

And I have the original 9 volumes of Alita, and still read them about once/twice a year. Fun stuff, though very violent, and Alita makes a great heroine. Prolly won't collect the new releases, as I am collecting Last order in both Japanese and English...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks 'Alita' is a much better name than 'Gally' (which sounds like the girl who drops the checkered flag at a tractor pull)?

-Z
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2