• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Un-Go (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person here who thought that episode 7 was kind of a masterpiece?

You could say that Un-Go's been building to this moment the entire time, actually. The first episode is your standard parlor-room mystery. Each successive episode uses that standard parlor-room mystery as context to investigate deeper and deeper into the society of the show, asking questions like "what is artificial intellegence?" or "is Shinjuro always right?"

Then the seventh episode drops the charade entirely, and instead of a parlor room mystery you're given a psychological puzzle, in which the main character has no idea that he is even
in a parlor-room mystery. The viewer knows, because the show has been training him and her to use that lens. But it doesn't do any good! Or does it? There are enough clues to know that the episode conforms to the standard, but everything else is so transitory and illusory that the episode is horrifyingly disorienting. On purpose!

So yeah, that might have been one of the best Lotus Eater episodes I've seen. Excited to see how it wraps up next week.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I think you're right, yamata no orochi, but being disoriented isn't exactly pleasant. The next episode is carrying a huge burden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't justify it that way as an episode and personally don't believe it had adequate build-up. There is a chance that seen as part of the entire series it might work out very well.

What makes a set-up like this good is the audience's knowledge of the real world and of the character, in a story that has yet to reveal the details of the real world and the character it becomes completely frustrating.

If it's a psychological puzzle it's a 1000 piece puzzle with no box in which you only have 100 pieces, barely anything connects and the ones that do don't form anything close to a complete picture. All you know is that it has something do with this over puzzle, Meiji Kaika Ango Torimono-chō, but chances are you've never put that one together so that knowledge is practically useless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

If it's a psychological puzzle it's a 1000 piece puzzle with no box in which you only have 100 pieces, barely anything connects and the ones that do don't form anything close to a complete picture. All you know is that it has something do with this over puzzle, Meiji Kaika Ango Torimono-chō, but chances are you've never put that one together so that knowledge is practically useless.

For now it is more like a 1000 piece puzzle of a black panther's butt in a dark cave at night time.

I think the next episode will actually reveal a lot. I just hope we won't find out that the whole thing was spoiler[a dream]. The show is too smart for that, but I rewatched the episode and still did not really enjoy the weirdness here, although I usually tend to like this sort of stuff. Un-Go is not very coherent, is it...
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 7.

What is this I don’t even Shocked
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
To be fair, episode 0 of Un-Go was recently released in Japanese theaters. Supposedly it confirmed a number of things, like:

-who the hell is the guy with the bandages in the OP?
-what happened to Shinjuro's girlfriend? what about the "car accident?"
-how did Shinjuro and Inga meet?
-how are Inga and the white-haired girl related?

Of course, none of us will probably be able to see it until it is released on DVD. So since the most recent episode probably assumes at least some knowledge of episode 0...well, it's really no wonder that it's confusing. Probably not much of an excuse, but there you have it.

On another note, I read a theory on the internet that struck me as pretty interesting: if Inga's ability is to force people to answer one question truthfully, than could the ability of the white-haired girl be to make somebody believe exactly one lie? That would make episode 7 not so much a dream as an experiment in which all the participants are brainwashed--a "mechanical" mystery story, in a sense. Shinjuro does have a prison barcode on the back of his neck, after all.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
SoloDolo wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:

Who cares music still good.

Haha i agree the music is still quite good ^^. I actually liked this episode as it has me pondering the many situations that could result from spoiler[ any one of the 3 girls being behind that door with the director, as they all 3 seem to have different views towards life and the "war" or even if that had anything to do with the directors death or was just used to throw in another possible conclusion to throw us all off the trail of whats really going on?!] I'm very confused Confused But i like it !

Its very sporadic, and can be nicely rapped up with an intricate 1-2 episode discovery on just who spoiler[ the woman behind the "novelist" is, what she and others like Inga can all do (besides whats known),] and how or if this whole situation even fits into the main idea of the show. I've been on a week to week basis with this anime, and its survived one more week... for now Smile

After watching it, I think that ep 7 was just a flashback.
Anime needed more episodes though. Most so so serious detective animes need more than 12 episodes to tell a story.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episode eight:

spoiler[Bettneou turns people's words into reality.

Inga turns people's realities into words.

Dualism! (Judging from all the yin-yang imagery being thrown about I don't think that's much of a stretch)]
SoloDolo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, i might have missed it but can we confirm how many episodes there is going to be? 12? Is that a fact? Because if thats the case i don't see where this is going Surprised (this is prior to episode 8, which im going to watch now:D)
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
SoloDolo wrote:
Ok, i might have missed it but can we confirm how many episodes there is going to be? 12? Is that a fact? Because if thats the case i don't see where this is going Surprised (this is prior to episode 8, which im going to watch now:D)

UN-GO is eleven episodes, plus a double-length "episode 0" that was released in theaters.

As for where it's going, for the first time watching a Bones show in the past five years or so, I think that the creators of UN-GO might know exactly what they're doing. Fingers crossed!
SoloDolo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Just got around to watching episode 8, and i was somewhat pleased. spoiler[it wrapped up episode 7 pretty nicely, but with 3 episodes left im still kind of confused on where this whole series has me going. Like i get the just of it, but im wondering if episodes 9,10,11 are going to pick up the pace drastically and totally entertain all of us??]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
I think yamata no orochi has it pretty right - this is a pomo exercise in the relationship between reality and words, though I think it's more than dualism: the central team consists of a spirit, a machine and a human. It's sophisticated but not altogether emotionally engaging. Sort of reminds of the way they judge some events at the Olympics: degree of difficulty high; execution mediocre. Episode 8 was moderately successful in sorting out the weirdness of the previous episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Bettenou is quite a sinister villain. The series would have been far better if she / he had been introduced much earlier... Perhaps she / he was. I made this comment about episode 5:

errinundra wrote:
..I was thrown for a while how the policewoman Koyama Izumi could be simultaneously with Kaishou and at the scene of the crime until I figured out that Kaishou must have been looking at events afterwards...

Has Bettenou has been around all along? What is the relationship between Bettenou and Inga? Is this show worth a re-watch to find out? I'm not sure - I really can't engage with any of the characters. Shame.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
I am only watching the series now because I have seen 9 episodes and do not want to drop it towards the end. I do not care about the characters (Kazamori is entertaining, but that is about it)- they are a bland bunch of people with no personalities, the plot is muddled and all in all, despite me thinking before the series was smart, it turned out to be a facade. Shame, because there was a potential there.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
This and Future Diary are the only shows that I actively look forward to now. There is something about Un-go that really works for me even though I am well aware of its issues in the character development department.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6