• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well a rocking anime series would soon fix that.
Mass hysteria, shared hallucinations, demons...
It'd be like Ghost Hound with buckle hats.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
In the second arc of the first season of Spice & Wolf, spoiler[Holo gets surrounded by wolves in the forest. She tries to negotiate but the leader is young and stubborn. Then, it skips ahead and we don't see what happened to her or how she got out of it. But from her reactions afterwards as well as several lines of dialogue at the end of the arc and in the second season, I get the feeling she offered her body to the alpha-wolf in exchange for her freedom.] Did anyone get the same impression, or am I way off base?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
In the second arc of the first season of Spice & Wolf, spoiler[Holo gets surrounded by wolves in the forest. She tries to negotiate but the leader is young and stubborn. Then, it skips ahead and we don't see what happened to her or how she got out of it. But from her reactions afterwards as well as several lines of dialogue at the end of the arc and in the second season, I get the feeling she offered her body to the alpha-wolf in exchange for her freedom.] Did anyone get the same impression, or am I way off base?

You're not, although I also thought it was possible that spoiler[Holo merely had to kneel before and/or defer to the other wolf, which consider her wolfly pride would have been nearly as bad.]

There's also the consideration that spoiler[there was no indication that she changed form, and that would have then been rather physically awkward, if not impossible.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit hazy on the details, but if I remember correctly spoiler[Holo was clothed when talking to the wolf and naked when she returned to Lawrence. Additionally, in the couple of times she's talked about the incident she has mentioned her "sacrifice". That combined with the clothing aspect really raises my eyebrows.]

I neither own the first season nor have it on my computer, so I can't check if I was right about spoiler[her being naked.] I'm just going on what I remember my reactions were at the time of watching it.
Yupa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
This is quite a confusing scene in the anime indeed, this is not the first time I see someone asking about it.

The light novel explains it a bit better. spoiler[Lawrence notices mud on Holo's knees and knows she is not one who would trip over. Therefore he knows what she did to end things peacefully.
So I agree on Key's interpretation.]

spoiler[Holo is not naked when she returns to Lawrence. However, she undresses before she changes into her wolf form, so she won't rip her clothes like the first time]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Yupa, that really helped.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Up to episode #5 of season one: there are three serious issues, one concept/setting-related and two plot-related (seams of authors' poor, viewers-insulting work to patch the story together are glaring), and six minor ones:

spoiler[1) I am not buying the reason why one of the trading companies wants to help the grey-haired man to save the werewolf-girl;
2) when I saw werewolf-woman openly using her real name when talking to random people, I thought it was strange and incautious. But in this episode, it is became obvious why authors did this -- it was a lame way to create a plot event;
3) if such things as magical werewolves exist in this world versus god who never indicates it exists, then I am not sure how the church could become this prominent as shown;
4) werewolf-woman's fur is not grey so she looks more like fox than a wolf -- strange choice of hue;
5) werewolf-woman is shown to have habits of a wolf -- like trying to swallow food as a whole, without chewing, but somehow not the habit of eating meat rather than vegetables and fruits;
6) werewolf-woman is shown to be only partially transformed -- somehow ears and tail still that of a wolf;
7) the grey-haired man talks to himself aloud, what is not psychologically sound;
8) characters are shown to nod at each other too often (even when it is excessive);
9) the idea to name the two competing trading organizations similarly is not the best one for viewers to track.]

But, of course, this is not to say the anime is bad; lets see how it will unfold.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 am; edited 5 times in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
nodding too much is a problem? I find that hilarious, but I'd also appreciate it if you would expand upon that, as I'm genuinely curious as you why you think that's a problem
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Saying it has "poor, viewer insulting writing" (in BOLD no less) and yet also saying the show is "not necessarily bad" is also extremely confusing.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nodding too much is a problem? I find that hilarious, but I'd also appreciate it if you would expand upon that, as I'm genuinely curious as you why you think that's a problem

The problem is that it makes no sense, not realistic. But, as I wrote, it is a minor issue.

Shenl742 wrote:
Saying it has "poor, viewer insulting writing" (in BOLD no less) and yet also saying the show is "not necessarily bad" is also extremely confusing.

Why it is confusing? There is more to an anime than just few issues it may have. Overall, still it could be very well a good anime (whether just "good" or "very good", it is another question) -- this does not happen often, but this project has high marks, so there is chance that the positives are going to greatly overweight those listed drawbacks.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Why it is confusing? There is more to an anime that just few issues it may have. Overall, still it could be very well a great anime.

Maybe, but saying the writing is "viewer insulting" sounds like a very strong criticism to me, and not the kind of words you would use for something with minor issues.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
The insulting part was not about minor issues (bottom six), but about one of more serious issues (top three). But even with that, yes, it is very harsh criticism, but it only pertains to specific aspect of the show. I completely separate it from overall estimation of a project. This is why I voted for a lot of anime as "good" and "very good", despite being merciless with critique on certain aspects of the show.

People often think I hate anime because I am not forgiving anything even if I like it (and no wonder, because the usual psychology is to either bash something completely, barely admitting good parts, if you do not like it, or to pretend that this something is perfect, barely recognizing any drawbacks, if you like it).

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
There any particular reason you keep saying "wolf-woman" and "grey-haired man" instead of their names? Kind of odd.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
It is an old habit of mine. I do not pay attention to the names (my memory for names is bad anyway, I can butcher it). Besides, in some cases dubbed names differ from original Japanese ones.

On animation:
1) too simplistic and unrefined, though, overall, not an issue;
2) the lower jaw does not move when characters talk.

Episode #6: every aspect of non-realism among more serious issues I listed turns out to be made for a scenario event. The first listed issue in my post above gets to act in this episode; too bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[1) I am not buying the reason why one of the trading companies wants to help the grey-hair man to save the werewolf-girl;]

What, that they can get an spoiler[upcoming trader in their debt, as well as the favour of a deity and do something against their competitor]? Their competitorspoiler[ catching monster might really have given them an advantage].

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[2) when I saw werewolf-woman openly using her real name when talking to random people, I thought it was strange and incautious. But in this episode, it is became obvious why authors did this -- it was a lame way to create a plot event;]

Few know of her name, she is but a deity of a small village, and she is far too proud to use a fake name, it is like a big part of her character.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[3) if such things as magical werewolves exist in this world versus god who never indicates it exists, then I am not sure how the church could become this prominent as shown;]

You have supernatural animals that may or may not help people, and then standardised religion that can be easily distributed, and probably did a good job fighting off inhuman "demons". And points are made that the church is far more influential or profitable than it used to. You can look at actual history and see how church has gone along with money, and with improved trading it is reasonable man made church would get larger.
Interesting side note is that banks own their origin to the church.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[4) werewolf-woman's fur is not grey so she looks more like fox than a wolf -- strange choice of hue;]

You know wolves can be different colours right? They can indeed be red. And I recall the wolf furs they sell early on were brown.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[5) werewolf-woman is shown to have habits of a wolf -- like trying to swallow food as a whole, without chewing, but somehow not the habit of eating meat rather than vegetables and fruits;]

She had been in wolf form for a long time, her human form seems reliant on the grains, and usually would be quite temporary. Yet she did have an appreciation for different types of food as she had eaten them before.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[6) wolf-woman is shown to be only partially transformed -- somehow ears and tail still that of a wolf;]

She is not human, she does not get to pick a form it is merely what she can turn into. Apparently the same form she could take when looking like that would not get her labelled a demon.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[7) the grey-haired man talks to himself aloud, what is not psychologically sound;]

And the setting can be rather complex, exposition is needed.

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[8) characters are shown to nod at each other too often;]

I can't fully recall what scenes these may be, but I imagine it is a signal that can either be picked up by those looking for it, or a part of trading, a form of courtesy between people fitting for their culture.

MaxSouth wrote:
9) the idea to name two competing trading organizations similarly is not the best one for viewers to track.[/spoiler]

I don't know, I don't think I remember having trouble remembering differentiating a company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 35