• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodomo no Jikan manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hello Everyone!

This is about Kodomo no Jikan and it content I have recently saw the whole 12 esp of it and the one ova number1 and found it to be quiet interesting well more like love it. But then when i check out the manga version it seem to be somewhat different well only towards the end. So far in the manga there have been 31 chapters release and on the last chapter it was some what strange well it left me wanting to find out more.
So this leads me to this question did they finish with making the manga or are they still making more like book 6 because so far only 5 books have came out.
If anyone know the answer please feel free to tell me and we can talk about this. Thax for the help.

so will there be a book 6? or more chapters after 31?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This is a series that was the center of a long and stressful debate, so I tried to find out what the big deal was about it. I've found it to be somewhat racy, but it serves the humor that it does in Japan. Even then it's still racy. I've read the first two volumes, and don't know whether or not I will continue it.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
darkday wrote:
so will there be a book 6? or more chapters after 31?

I'm not sure what volume it's at right now but the most recent chapter is 34 and it was just released a few days ago. The series hasn't ended yet but I predict it will very soon with the way things are going right now. And the anime starts diverging from the manga in the last 2 or 3 episodes from what I remember. I didn't really like the changes but I suppose they could have done worse.

fighterholic wrote:
This is a series that was the center of a long and stressful debate, so I tried to find out what the big deal was about it. I've found it to be somewhat racy, but it serves the humor that it does in Japan. Even then it's still racy. I've read the first two volumes, and don't know whether or not I will continue it.

It's nothing spectacular but I think it's actually pretty good. The series starts off as a kind of racy comedy like the way you described but gets a bit darker and more serious in the later chapters, which, unfortunately the anime hasn't really had a chance to cover in 12 episodes and with the fact that the manga series hasn't ended yet. Many of the people who were against the series suggested the manga promoted pedophilia but despite some of the blatant fan-service depicting 9-year-olds and such, at this point I believe it's actually quite the opposite. It's kind of funny that way since I'm pretty sure the manga's original intended audience were people into lolicon but the series seems to have pulled a "bait-and-switch" further in.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes I think the manga is still ongoing in Japan as SnowFairyX said. It's too bad that the manga series was licensed but then cancelled for North American release. I can only hope that someone else decides to pick it up, but I'm not sure that such a thing is possible, as the title may now be in licensing limbo.

I didn't read the manga very carefully but I didn't get the feeling that the manga was going to end anytime soon. But that's just me and my interpretation. The anime needed an ending when the manga was still ongoing, so a quick conflict and resolution between Rin's teacher and cousin was concocted. For the manga, it appears that the conflict between these two is just beginning, plus it is way more serious (as the manga makes it clear that Rin's cousin has the hots for Rin, whereas in the anime this aspect is utterly stifled to make a final resolution simpler).
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Right now I have 36 chapters downloaded of KnJ.

Quote:

I really hope it will be picked up but like you said it probably won't Sad It's a pretty enjoyable little series
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Rika-chama wrote:
I really hope it will be picked up but like you said it probably won't Sad It's a pretty enjoyable little series

At this point, the chances of the manga getting picked up are closer to none right now. Seven Seas tried to see about getting it out, but then they pulled out. Arguments were coming from both ways about the release and then the cancellation of it. It's probably an issue better off left in Japan.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
After the controversy when Seven Seas tried to liscense it initially, I doubt it will ever be brought to the U.S. It's somewhat of a shame, because when the manga gets serious, it's very good, and not all of the comedy is based around underaged girls doing/saying inappropriate things. Also, Aki is love.
However, much of the comedy IS based around Kuro and Rin behaving in ways they oughtn't; and heaven forbid the image of spoiler[Rin suckling Mimi] be taken out of context. We'd never hear the end of it.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After the controversy when Seven Seas tried to liscense it initially, I doubt it will ever be brought to the U.S. It's somewhat of a shame, because when the manga gets serious, it's very good, and not all of the comedy is based around underaged girls doing/saying inappropriate things. Also, Aki is love.

Aki is love. Such a sweet woman Smile But yeah the serious parts are really good but the manga is kinda creepy with spoiler[Rin suckling Mimi] or spoiler[Reiji wanting Rin] but it's still a good manga.[/list]
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting comment from Toren Smith:

...after reading Negima, I found myself thinking back to the whole Nymphet controversy....It was a sex/romance comedy created by a woman and featuring cute art...so far, so good...but with a twist. The female lead is a 9 year old third grader with a crush on her early-twenties male teacher. Now, before you puff up your tail, it's important to understand that nothing serious ever happens. There's no sex. The teacher wants nothing to do (sexually) with his precocious student, and she herself is simply acting out things she thinks will work on the object of her crush (actually, she begins by trying to drive him to a nervous breakdown for her own amusement, as she did with an earlier teacher). It's just that her actions are over the top and highly inappropriate. It's considered mildly risqué in Japan, but nothing serious (it ran in a mainstream magazine aimed at early to mid-teen boys). In fact, I was given the first volume by my sister-in-law, who thought it was hilarious. What can I say? Japan's a different culture. Myself, I really like Watashiya's art and the timing of her gags. I enjoyed the book, frankly, although as one person said to me when I told them that, "Maybe you just lived in Japan for too long." Maybe. I did learn that comics were just ink on paper, and not, y'know, actual real people. But, triggered by the inflammatory English language title, the crowd went wild. And by "crowd" I mean a truly amazing display of inbred innertube faggotry. I found it especially amusing because it was the exact same gang of otaku that screamed bloody murder when I edited out scenes of graphic underage nudity and sex in manga like Exaxxion and Shadow Star. Go figure. I also note that while Yubisaki Milk Tea has some pretty eyebrow-raising stuff in it, nobody seems to care because, as far as I can tell, it's called Yubisaki Milk Tea and not Nymphet. Hell, in Card Captor Sakura, Rika is actually engaged to her teacher, and I could go on and on with more examples. I don't want to get into the whole controversy too much, because it's pretty sordid and stinks of mindless villagers with torches and pitchforks. But I would like to point out that if it's unacceptable to show the things in Nymphet, why is it okay to show murder in comics? "But comics like Nymphet will encourage bad people!" But somehow, magically, comics like Berserk or Poison Cherry Drive will not? You can't have it both ways and be intellectually consistent.
Which leads me back to Negima. After I read it I found myself wondering how the steely-eyed "save the underage kids" crowd would react to a gender reversed version of Negima. You know, one in which an 9 year old girl was sent to teach at an all-boys junior high school and despite being unwilling, was constantly besieged with sexual come-ons and surrounded by a mass of horny boys showing her their underwear and waving their dicks at her.
I wonder if there'd be any outrage. (He said, sarcastically.)....
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Toren Smith might be my new hero.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I disagree with him on global warming[I believe in it; he doesn't.], but he knows his manga.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I have to agree to an extent the manga seemed to be getting into the dark stages, but I wonder how they made the anime based on what materials they had for the manga. All I know is that had an awful lot of cencorship when it came to the bath scenes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
Toren Smith wrote:
I found it especially amusing because it was the exact same gang of otaku that screamed bloody murder when I edited out scenes of graphic underage nudity and sex in manga like Exaxxion and Shadow Star. Go figure.

No, they are not the same gang. Trust me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, I disagree with him on global warming[I believe in it; he doesn't.], but he knows his manga.
Not to get into a political debate but scientifically speaking global warming is real in the sense that we can tell that temperatures have gone up. The question is how much of an effect humanity has had on it. This is an issue where legitimate debate can occur since there are numerous factors that affect climate, several of which have massive effect while being completely independent of humanity. (Like the sun itself, which fluctuates somewhat in temperature.)

Regardless of any political issues, you have to give the man credit for pointing out some of the hypocrisy of the whole incident. While dormcat argues otherwise, quite a few of the same people who get upset over other edits/censorship in manga/anime have shown a great willingness to embrace the attack on Kodomo no Jikan.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems like people are just too willing to buy into this notion that reading this series will somehow either 1) cause a massive condemnation of all manga/manga readers if the general public learns of the manga's existence or 2) it will turn it's readers into pedophile child rapists if they aren't already. It also seems like no one really cared about the series being licensed until the name went from being Kodomo no Jikan to being Nymphet.

I really don't see how this series or its content can be treated differently from any other series or content in a manga. It's drawings, not people, and if someone is screwed up enough to be influenced by this manga they likely would have been influenced by something else eventually anyway. It's just hypocritical how people will accept arguments against this manga just because they don't like the content.

You can buy manga with graphic rape scenes and violent murder, yet that's okay, despite the fact that rape and murder are rather worse than a sexually precocious child? It just seems very odd to me.

Not that my opinion is necessarily worth anything, I'm just a guy who understands there is a clear difference between fiction and reality.
darkday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
well from what i have read for Toren Smith his stuff are pretty interesting

and also the manga is getting more dark as u can say w/ kinda draws u into it more like what is going to happen kind of thing so i just cant wait for the other chapters to come out so far done w/ and up to ch 33
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4