• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:32 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Well in your case it is special. Fighting Totalitarianism versus international criminals is a toss up. Personally I would fight for freedom, but I also wouldn't want your internet connection taken away if I talk more about it.

Totalitarianism. A trademark of the Singapore government, don't you all agree?

Don't worry, they won't know enough to try to take away my internet connection. I'm surfing from the office right now.

Just to illustrate Singapore's stand on piracy: Software piracy is still quite rampant, though not as bad as in some countries. A few corporations have been prosecuted, but private home users are seldom caught. Software pirates openly sell their wares in the neighbourhood night markets. Windows XP can be had for SGD$10 per CD-ROM. The government frowns upon it. They take action, when someone complains. But they don't actively police the situation.

It's the same with bootleg anime.

Sigh!
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
Confused I didn't exactly get that but if there arent very many legit hk imports id rather take my chance even if i knew it was boot cause id just be like the domestic version of it is costs too much, I can't afford it or i don't want to spend that much money on anime and i don't want to have to pay for a series i could get in 3 discs instead paying for the domestic version that has 6 cause then i could save some shelf space in my room ,lol
It would not be just like the domestic release. No dub, shitty subs, and crappy video quality. So you want to buy horribly and illegally produced DVDs so you can save shelf space? Why not get a new shelf or put them somewhere else?
Quote:
who cares about if the imports are official or not?
Just about every intelligent person who knows about bootlegs does. The quality is horrible and it is highly illegal.
Quote:
why buy imports from japan? there really expensive even more so than domestic dvds
So don't buy them. Plain and simple.
Quote:
im suprised people care so much about if there buying bootlegs or not
They care because they don't want their hard earned cash to go to waste. Yeah yeah the posts are a few days old, but I had to reply. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
there a reason why you guys are against bootlegs dvds or cds because if you were talk about them or metion sites to with bootleg dvds or cds then somebody could report to the anime industry or ones of the compaines that the website supports bootlegs (which it doesnt) and they could shut the website down and that wouldnt be fun for us so i get ur resons for disliking bootlegs

[User banned for troll-like behaviour, 1-line posts and lack of grammar. -t]
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
there a reason why you guys are against bootlegs dvds or cds because if you were talk about them or metion sites to with bootleg dvds or cds then somebody could report to the anime industry or ones of the compaines that the website supports bootlegs (which it doesnt) and they could shut the website down and that wouldnt be fun for us so i get ur resons for disliking bootlegs
1) Most people are against bootlegs because of the quality of them. 2)I don't think you what industry means...defintion:Commercial production and sale of goods.
A specific branch of manufacture and trade: the textile industry. See Synonyms at business.
The sector of an economy made up of manufacturing enterprises: government regulation of industry.
Industrial management.
Energetic devotion to a task or an endeavor; diligence: demonstrated great intelligence and industry as a prosecutor.
Ongoing work or study associated with a specified subject or figure: the Civil War industry; the Hemingway industry.
Archaeology.
A collection of artifacts or tools made from a specified material: a Mesolithic bone industry.
A standardized tradition of toolmaking associated with a specified tool or culture: a stone hand-ax industry; the Acheulian industry.

Anyway you cannot report someone to the anime industry because it is a group of compenies who licens and sell anime for the domestic market. You could tell a certain company about it, but because of the mass amount of bootlegs they could give a rats ass. And yes companies can shutdown websites that sell bootlegs and distribute licensed anime(ADV did it with several websites). And what do you mean by "fun for us"? Also you failed too see the main reason why many people dislike boots, because of the quality.
-Ryan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well besides a distaste for it among the staff members of ANN, not to mention it being illegal and poor imitation and just wrong, ANN has very good reasons for not linking to bootleggers. Look around the page. See Ads. Ads support ANN the business. If ANN were to go 'Yeah! Bootleggers!' They would lose this reveneue from the legit companies who are ethical enough that they will pay their bills. Not to mention that in destroying the crediblity of ANN, it would make it impossible to ever get real interviews with the industry. Many of the readers would stop reading, and the boards would decend into a hellish ranting and series of poll topics only matched by adultswim.
kishmye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
Pirating = stealing.

I purchase or rent everything (music,videos,dvd,software,....) I view/use. I'm willing to pay to be entertained. People/artists/developers create these products to make money. Some just create because they enjoy it, but mostly it's to make a living. If they can't make a living due to uncontolled pirating, then they'll do something else. Personally, I want them to keep entertaining me.... so I pay.

Yes, these products may be expensive, but that can never justify stealing. Did you ever stop to think the prices are so high because of the pirating?

my 2 cents...
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I have $500 worth of Hentai DVDs....all of my DVD are legit...............I hope that in the long run I help make Hentai cheaper...
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
GirlyMan wrote:
I have $500 worth of Hentai DVDs....all of my DVD are legit...............I hope that in the long run I help make Hentai cheaper...

Good for you. Keep it up. I just hope they will finally make hentai legal in Singapore so I can start spending money on legit hentai.
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Bootlegs and fansubs...the budget otaku guide.

When I get paid and my bank accout full, I adhere to the Lawful Good otaku in all of us. Bootlegs and fansubs, never heard of it. Only licensed and Region 1 stuff, thank you very much. Cool

But around 7 days after I get paid and when the bank account is a little low, the Neutral Good otaku comes out. Okay the Japanese CD is discontinued already, nobody is getting hurt if I buy the Taiwan release. This anime is never going to get licensed in the USA, who's going license an anime about a hamster and a vibrator for the USA. Rolling Eyes

By the 14th days, 1 day before I get paid again. The Chaotic Evil otaku takes over. Why wait another year when the fansubs are available now. Please, please internet connection don't break before the download is complete. I need this last dollar for tomorrow's coffee. Twisted Evil

Then I get paid and the cycle starts all over again. Cool
ChronoXCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quote
So if the subtitles are in english they are boot leg? Or just if the have chinese and english because I have some amine that has japanese and english subs for it is it a fake of is it ok? either way I still get to watch the anime but I wana know wether its fake or not. Also what about the anime that has the charcters speaking in english that bootleg too? And if all that that I just mentioned is really all boot let where can I get some of the real deal? please answer each of the questions I really need to know. Im just confused. Confused Sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ChronoXCrusader wrote:
So if the subtitles are in english they are boot leg?

No. It depends on where you live, though. Look at the next answer for an explanation.

ChronoXCrusader wrote:
Or just if the have chinese and english because I have some amine that has japanese and english subs for it is it a fake of is it ok?

Region 1 DVDs usually have English subs (sometimes they also have Spanish and French), but if you bought a Region 2 (Japan) or Region 3 (Chinese) DVD, they may have subs for their respective countries (meaning R2 = Japanese subs and R3 = Chinese subs).

Usually, bootlegs made in Hong Kong or some other Asian country will include English and Chinese subs only, but a lot of the English subs on bootlegs are poorly written. Razz

ChronoXCrusader wrote:
Also what about the anime that has the charcters speaking in english that bootleg too?

It depends on what version you buy. The legal R2 and R3 DVDs don't usually have English dubs on them, since they're being sold to people in China and Japan.

Just about all R1 DVDs, however, do have English dubs on them, since they're sold to people throughout the U.S. and Canada. Bootleggers just put the English dub on their to make the deal sweeter.

ChronoXCrusader wrote:
where can I get some of the real deal?

Where do you live? If you live in the U.S., the place I use the most is Deep Discount DVD.

Hope that helped answer some of your questions a little bit. Wink
ChronoXCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Do the ones u order from Deep Discount DVD lets say i were to get like Chobits or something will it have them where the charaters speak english or will they all be where they speak japanese with english subs?
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ChronoXCrusader wrote:
Do the ones u order from Deep Discount DVD lets say i were to get like Chobits or something will it have them where the charaters speak english or will they all be where they speak japanese with english subs?

Most region 1 disk have both. Check with some of the other legit anime dealers to see if they look the same. Only a handful of US anime released don't have both languages and subtitles on them.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ChronoXCrusader wrote:

Yes. I'd say about 95% of all Region 1 anime DVDs have both Japanese and English speaking audio with optional English subtitles.

A good way to find out if a title has or does not have these options is to look at what the website has listed under the product stats.

Usually, they'll tell whether or not the DVD is Japanese/English audio with subtitles or not. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Region 1 DVDs usually have English subs (sometimes they also have Spanish and French), but if you bought a Region 2 (Japan) or Region 3 (Chinese) DVD, they may have subs for their respective countries (meaning R2 = Japanese subs and R3 = Chinese subs).

Usually, bootlegs made in Hong Kong or some other Asian country will include English and Chinese subs only, but a lot of the English subs on bootlegs are poorly written. Razz

Just adding some clarification: R3 covers many different nations and regions, therefore many dubs and subs in different languages exist. Here is a brief list, according to my knowledge (bold is a must have; regular font means optional):

South Korea: Korean sub, English sub, Korean dub.
Taiwan: Chinese (traditional) sub, English sub, Chinese (Madarin) dub.
Hong Kong: Chinese (traditional) sub, English sub, Cantonese dub.
Singapore: Chinese (simplified) sub, English sub.
Some of the above have optional Japanese subs.

Information about Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and East Timor: sorry, I have no idea. Anime dazed Mainland China is Region 6 and uses simplified Chinese for subs, but none of my Chinese friends have seen a legit R6 DVD in their lifetime... Rolling Eyes

Due to so many different local languages this is a big headache when differetiating legit from boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 33