• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater

Here's the link of the trailer which you may need to copy and paste to your media player:

mms://norvallen.mediafactory.co.jp/pv/soulpv-mae.wmv

Now that I'm finished joygasming over the trailer many times, I can say that this could be one of the more anticipated titles for this coming Spring season along with Code Geass Season 2. I mean, this is just dripping with off-the-wall, punk-ish style! Of course this amount of high quality is expected from the BONES team who did Ouran. Andrew Cunningham summarized what Soul Eater is about in AnimeOnDVD so I'm quoting some stuff here:

Quote:
Based on the Gangan manga by Atsushi Okubo, Soul Eater is set in the shinigami academy, where young gods of death train with their anthropomorphic weapons.
The manga is only ten volumes long right now, so expect a fair amount of anime original episodes.

.....Each of the three teams from the short stories are total opposites: Straight A schoolgirl Maka gets teamed with Slacker skater scythe Soul, while show off assassin Black*Star gets teamed with a worrywort ninja weapon. Death The Kid is a ridiculous flying snowboard riding powerhouse who is frequently reduced to crippling despair by his obsession with symmetry, and he wields the Thompson sisters, a pair of happy go lucky American ditzes who turn into automatic handguns.

Maka does look pretty cute and badass (and possible lead character, right?), and there's Blair which I heard is a very busty witch who's also a CATGIRL!!! Anime hyper

First episode premieres at April 7th though I heard there's going to be broadcasted twice; one at the evening and one late at night.
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the trailer. The show looks like it is going to be quite good. But you know, couldn't you have waited a little longer before posting this. Now I want to watch it right now and it isn't out until the 7th! I'm going to be murdered by anticipation.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Seems like this season will crowded with a lot of interesting stuff (or at least it does to me) and Soul Eater is the one who first caught my attention and is now definitively my most anticipated. Watching the trailer I'm glad to say that, at the very least, it's going to be awfully pretty to look at, the art style is absolutely killer. And that Death The Kid, he's awesome.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The normal show will air on Mondays while the earliest airing of the late show (depends on the affiliate) will air early early Fridays.

I've been anticipating this show for a very long time. I'm a little apprehensive about the voices though. Soul came off as too deep, and Maka was way too flat (people on 2ch were complaining all morning). They're both newcomers though, so who knows what will happen.

Also, you can already see the (slight, so far) changes they're making to the story from the trailer.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks good, but where's the subtitled trailer? Reminds me of bleach...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Reminds me of bleach...

I wasn't very interested in this series when it was first announced (since the concept felt like a rip of Bleach), but the impossibly slick trailer changed my mind. Very Happy I've added this series to my list of anticipated Spring titles. I do agree with Skys though. This topic was made too soon. As if the wait until April wasn't already bad enough ....

EDIT: Changed some phrasing, added link.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Just a note... even though one of the characters is a shinigami, this series hardly deals with deaths or souls.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Skys wrote:
But you know, couldn't you have waited a little longer before posting this. Now I want to watch it right now and it isn't out until the 7th! I'm going to be murdered by anticipation.

I was thinking about making like five threads over here for next season shows, as it's a fairly common thing to do months ahead on AoD. Builds up anticipation and gets the names out there. But it's because there aren't many like these on ANN I hesitated. Maybe I should go ahead and make one for Real Drive? Anime smile + sweatdrop

I recently cut down the number of titles I'm checking out this spring, but Soul Eater is still on the list of shows to watch. I like the style... it just looks cool overall. I hope it turns out great. Smile

(Comparing it to Bleach never crossed my mind.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
.... this series hardly deals with deaths or souls.

Huh? Then why is it called Soul Eater? I guess I'll have to find out once the series premieres.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Maybe I should go ahead and make one for Real Drive? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Now you're talking. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Zoe wrote:
.... this series hardly deals with deaths or souls.

Huh? Then why is it called Soul Eater? I guess I'll have to find out once the series premieres.

The lead male character's name is Soul Eater.
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Skys wrote:
But you know, couldn't you have waited a little longer before posting this. Now I want to watch it right now and it isn't out until the 7th! I'm going to be murdered by anticipation.

I was thinking about making like five threads over here for next season shows, as it's a fairly common thing to do months ahead on AoD. Builds up anticipation and gets the names out there. But it's because there aren't many like these on ANN I hesitated. Maybe I should go ahead and make one for Real Drive? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Making those threads sounds like a good idea. I was joking a little bit in my previous post. It can be nice to see what shows will be coming out and anticipation for the good shows can sometimes make them that much better. Also, I don't really follow what new series are coming, so threads like these are usually my first exposure to many of the new shows. The only other spring shows that I knew about before this one was Code Geass 2 and Library War. In any case, the spring season looks like it is going to be very good.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This and Real Drive so far are the 2 series I'm gonna give a shot this season. Really, only because there the only 2 I know are coming out this season Anime smile + sweatdrop but also because in reading the basic description it seems like they're both gonna be pretty good. Of course I don't have to say much about Real Drive Wink (I mean, it's I.G. and Shirow for heaven's sake!). But for Soul Eater, I typically really like these types of series anyways, so at the very least I'll probably enjoy it as a pretty good action series. Cool

I hadn't really thought of it as much of a Bleach ripoff myself, but in a way I could maybe see how it could be anyways. I'll just watch the series and see for myself.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
This show's art design and animation sure looks interesting, plus its animated by Bones. As long as it's not a long drawn out shounen show I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it. There sure a lot of shows this season that look promising, let's hope they don't disappoint.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
The lead male character's name is Soul Eater.

Ahhhhhh .... I see.

Skys wrote:

Ah, yes. I'm interested in seeing that one myself. Like Real Drive, it's also from Production I.G.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
plus its animated by Bones.

Oh that's right I forgot, it's Bones! That's a huge plus for me as well. Yet another good reason to give it a shot. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26