• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Real Drive.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Real Drive

Official Home Page
Production I.G's English Site

Production I.G and Masamune Shirow team up again for a new anime this Spring called RD Senno Chosashitsu (a.k.a. Real Drive). It officially starts early April, but I decided that it would be a good idea to go ahead and promote the anime for those who want to know what's coming up. You can view the character designs on the main site and catch a glimpse of the gorgeous animation by watching the trailer.

I hope you don't mind my stealing the story from the English site:

Quote:
2061 AD. Fifty years have passed since mankind developed the Network society. It was anticipated that this new infrastructure would realize a utopia where people connected with each other at the level of consciousness. However, new social problems such as personal data leaks and proliferation of manipulated information began to surface. Nevertheless, people still relied on the Network to exchange information, and proved unable to opt to abandon it.

In due course, a new Network realm with more effective security measures was developed. This was called Meta Real Network, usually abbreviated as "the Metal."

The Metal accommodated personal memory data within protected virtual stand-alone organic cyber enclaves called bubble shells and eventually pervaded the everyday lives of people.

However, people gradually learned to release and explode their instincts within the secure environment of the Metal. The unleashed instincts pushed each individual's consciousness to drown in the sea of information and to be exposed to the pressures of desire. Meanwhile, norms and regulations continued to bind their real world lives. Thus, strange friction between the two worlds began to manifest themselves as aberrations beyond the bounds of the imaginable.
Experts who challenged the deep sea of the Metal to investigate and decipher such aberrations were called cyber divers.

This is a story of a cyber diver, Masamichi Haru, who investigates the incidents that lie between Reality and the Metal.

To summarize, this is a show for those who enjoyed Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, of course, but when you look at Production I.G's recent anime (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit, Ghost Hound, etc.) it should be fairly obvious that this is going to be a well-made anime that everyone should at least give a try.

Quite honestly, I can't wait. I'm excited because this is the #1 show I want to watch this Spring and hope that many others feel the same way. Does anyone else look forward to this as much as I do? Thoughts much appreciated! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Anything Production I.G + Masamune Shirow = win for me Very Happy
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Anything Production I.G + Masamune Shirow = win for me Very Happy

Ditto. Two great tastes that taste great together.

...Actually I've never really thought about how either of them would taste.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching this. It almost seems like the next logical step the world would take after Ghost in the Shell, right before the world gets blown up in Appleseed. And anything Masamune Shirow involving quasi-police investigators has to be awesome; I think it's one of the rules of life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes!! I cannot wait for this series. I love Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and after seeing how well Ghost Hound is turning out this is certainly a must watch. Not to mention it is from the director of Le Chevalier D'Eon (my favorite R1 series of 2007). In short: Real Drive is my most anticipated Spring series besides Code Geass R2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was anticipated that this new infrastructure would realize a utopia where people connected with each other at the level of consciousness.

GiTS 2nd Gig spoiler spoiler[This is basically what Kuze wanted at the end right? I just watched it and it's funny to see this pop up. Especially considering the people involved.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well even though I haven't seen either of the SAC series (want to really badly but Adult Swim aparently doesn't want to show anything other than 2nd GIG and not give me a good start on it dang it! Evil or Very Mad) in reading the basic description for this series it looks really interesting; something I'm gonna like a whole lot. That and after Ghost Hound I think I'm really wanting to see more stuff from Shirow now! Cool Appleseed eventually, same for SAC, saw the GitS movie and liked that in a way, of course Ghost Hound and now this! Cool Animation quality looks superb, even if the character designs are a bit too chuby, and story looks interesting. Definitely going to be a series I'm looking forward to watching. Cool
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The story sounds really interesting and with Production I.G. and Masasume Shirow together again this anime sounds all the more enticing. This is definitely looking to be a good spring season.
ikky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
I am intrigued by this, seeing who are behind it. It will be high quality for certain. The concept does sound interesting, but execution is all that matters.

Encyclopedia entry says 13 episodes. Is this confirmed?

(Most anticipated spring show for me is Kaiba, though)
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
Encyclopedia entry says 13 episodes. Is this confirmed?

(Most anticipated spring show for me is Kaiba, though)

I'm not sure about the 13 episodes either. My guess is that those are all that have been announced for the time being (or maybe they are a place filler?), as this season is one of those that has many longer series one of which should be Real Drive. Confused I think Soul Eater has the same problem; 13 episodes, most definitely longer when looking at the length of the manga.

And Kaiba is also on my list of shows to check out next season. I'll definitely make a thread if no one else does. Smile
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to this, it will be interesting to see which I.G anime I like the best this spring out of Real Drive and Library War.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
I think Soul Eater has the same problem; 13 episodes, most definitely longer when looking at the length of the manga.

Yeah 13 episodes isn't right since Soul Eater was confirmed to be a year long anime back in December. Generally unless the makers state the amount of episode we don't know until the dvd listings come out.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Looking forward to this, it will be interesting to see which I.G anime I like the best this spring out of Real Drive and Library War.

Gah, I knew I forgot something. I wanted to mention that Real Drive wasn't the only I.G title this spring, but it slipped my mind that they were also doing Library War when I made this thread. Even the character designs are distinctly I.G, which look absolutely fantastic, though I know little about the story.

Now I want to make two other threads: one for Kaiba and one for Library War. But I'll save those for later. (Unless someone wants to be me to it?)

Next season is just looking better and better every day. Really, it's only in two or three weeks! Very Happy
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I.G are also doing xxxHoluc season 2 this spring, it's not on my radar because I haven't seen the first season. Go check the AoD thread for Library War, I posted a couple blog articles with some info for it and I'm really looking forward to it now.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Production I.G sure has a lot on their plate, more so than what I'm seeing from other studios this season. I also can't wait to check out Mamoru Oshii's latest work The Sky Crawlers, which comes out in Japan in August.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Production I.G sure has a lot on their plate, more so than what I'm seeing from other studios this season.

And what's great about I.G is that they can balance this many anime and still make them all look good. Razz
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
New trailer posted on AoD. The production seriously looks like total win. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7