• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
a.k.a. Nijuu Mensou no Musume

Ahh, thief shows! They're usually pretty entertaining, and this BONES x Telecom Animation Film production actually surprised me a bit. You can check out the summary and get a basic idea of the Phantom Thief 20-faces, but it was near the middle of the first episode that pretty much got me hooked. spoiler[At first I thought the female lead, Chiko was too bitchy, but there was an actual reason reason for her behavior. It seems like her foster parents (which were her aunt and uncle) were trying to poison her in order to get the inheritance and Chiko figured that out pretty quickly.]

The OP was pretty classy yet mellow, and the ED proves once again Aya Hirano is pretty damn good rock singer (and now hopefully we can see her character kick ass like in the OP)! And of course there's the Phantom Thief whom a couple peeps said that he reminded them of Roger Smith from Big O. I can imagine this show is going to be pretty underrated compared to the other shows going on. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
I downloaded the first episode on a whim. I hadn't heard anything about this show but I caught the summary at the fansubbers website and it seemed interesting. So far I'm glad I checked it out.

I like a lot of the animation style; all the old fashion looking cars, blimps, trains, clothes, etc, that's probably my favorite part of the show. It is a bit like Batman the Animated Series from the early 90's, but also like an old Chicago gangster film. And I also like how they introduced the characters in the episode. Scenes from Chiko's and Nijū-Mensō's worlds as they don't look at all like they're destined to come together, but then they do.

Yeah, this show will probably be one of the lesser talked about shows, but I'm gonna keep watching it for now. It looks like it has some potential, both good and bad, but here's hoping it sticks to the good.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched it mainly for Aya, but it really caught me by surprise. It's been awhile since a classic detective/thief anime this good has come out. Bravo to both Aya & Studio BONES for their great work!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2, hey I'm starting to like this, and Chiko really has potential to be a badass which is a good thing! Cool

There were quite of bit of stuff going on in this episode.

spoiler[- 20 Faces hideout was in a giant tank, but he and his comrades has to abandoned it because they were discovered by the police.

- Chiko really gains my respect in this episode especially with her determination to help out the guys. Pretty clever for her to use the empty bottles as ball bearings to move a heavy crate.

- And with their hideout destroyed, they reside to the outskits of China. And they got a new assignment from Chen which ended up being a trap. Of course 20 Faces saw through that.

- Unfortunately, he got injured so those two other guys and Chiko resided in some slum where they were being take cared of a female caretaker. She was, in fact, planning to sell them out, but Chiko figured that out ahead of time especially when she already took out the bullets from the caretaker's gun when she was being held hostage.

- And they ended the episode of Chiko practicing throwing daggers. Hehehe! Twisted Evil]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
Where does the English title come from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well that would explain why I couldn't find the episodes, I was looking for the wrong title.
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It seems to depend on the group, the one's I've been getting are labeled "The Daughter of Twenty Faces". Varying translations on the part of the subbers, I guess.

That said, I'm also really enjoying this show. Based on some of the scenes from the OP, I'm really excited to see what Chiko becomes later in the series. Smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Yeah, this show will probably be one of the lesser talked about shows, but I'm gonna keep watching it for now. It looks like it has some potential, both good and bad, but here's hoping it sticks to the good.

It's been recommended that I watch this series, so you can count me in on the discussion once I'm free to watch the first two episodes. If you say it's got an old-fashioned look to it, then I know I'm gonna at least love the visuals; that, and it's BONES. Aya Hirano is always a plus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Only problem is Twenty Faces is a bit too perfect, which makes a lot of events a bit too obvious. I mean, I'm not a crime/mystery buff, but many of the twists are pretty apparent well before they occur, although I didn't catch the big twist (spoiler[Chiko being poisoned]) in episode 1 and I wasn't expect spoiler[the floor to literally drop out from under everyone] in episode 2.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
As of episode 2 I'm pretty impressed with Chiko. I mean she is just thrown into these situations and she is pretty darn reliable. I Am interested to see how she turns out. I have to say I really like the art style and plot so far, this show is really entertaining.

God alot of good series this season. Very Happy
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I added this show to my list on a rather random whim (I don't even remember why exactly) and after episode 1 I knew immediately that I'd want to watch it to the end. It reminds me of a combination of Lupin III (which I love) and Kino no Tabi (which I also love).
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Like a couple of other people here, I got faked-out by the translations used for the title, hence it took me a while to actually get and watch the first two episodes.

And what episodes those were. I'm not exactly into the genre, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. The colors, the character designs, the music, they all contribute to the nice, old-style 'gentleman thieves' feel of the show. That, and a restrained Aya Hirano shows us that she can do serious/dramatic-ish roles, in what's shaping up to be her best role outside of Haruhi.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
That, and a restrained Aya Hirano shows us that she can do serious/dramatic-ish roles, in what's shaping up to be her best role outside of Haruhi.

Most definitely. This is the first show I've seen since Haruhi that has her using that same voice (which I guess is pretty close to her real one). But in Chiko, as you say, it's much more restrained and subtle. I'm looking forward to the next episode...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Highlight of Episode 3:

Bwahaha, that is the expression saying that you got OWNED! Twisted Evil

As for the episode itself, spoiler[well most of the guys are really starting to take a liking towards Chiko's hard work around their hideout to a point that they're willing to take off their shirts in front of her! Shocked Laughing

And Chiko has even more admiration towards 20 Faces especially on how he's always thinks a step ahead of everything else. That includes the explosive rice balls in order to get away from the navy men's clutches and retrieve the gold bars.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
Now comes episode 4 in which one year has passed, and you'll see the fruits of Chiko's labor! Now she can....

spoiler[
- speak German
- throw daggers BLINDFOLDED!!! Anime hyper
- hand-to-hand combat (now you CAN'T mess with her especially if you're a guy since she'll kick you in the jewels!!! Twisted Evil )
- scale walls and other stunts requiring her speed and agility ]

And with some of these, spoiler[she got her first experience on a real thieving job requiring her to steal a jewel that's part of Loralei. There are some things she may need to work on later like building up her stamina since she got pretty tired from all the running around. But for her first assignment, she did REAL good! Cool ]

Another interesting thing that happened was spoiler[Chiko's stepmother actually poisoned her stepdad, and she keeps on sending money to that detective to find Chiko where she knows it's impossible. So what is that stepmother planning?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5