• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
xxxHolic Kei.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psyco13

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote

xxxHolic: Kei (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: folklore, spirits

Plot Summary: Still working to get his wish complete, Watanuki finds himself into more mess than he can handle when certain facts about his everyday life gets revealed and when he needs to learn the lesson of Yuuko the hard way.
----------------------------------

Well I was wondering what people thought of the series; I've seen the first season and the movie. I personally didn't know about the first season until after i watched two episodes of kei and was completely lost lol but than I bought the first season and the movie.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty good series, so far. They have some of the cooler storylines to work with right now and so far they haven't tampered with order much, which is nice.

The big thing is going to be how they deal with the fact that the first season eliminated all the Tsubasa crossovers, since it does look like the crossover is going to be affecting the main plot (though I'm hoping it's not too much, since I'm way behind in reading Tsubasa).

I would have liked them to make the art a bit better this season, but I suppose there's something to be said for consistency and since it was horrible in the first season it is horrible in this one too.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't read any of xxxHOLiC and TRC manga, but I have heard about the crossovers. I don't think there will be much room for that, because they only have 12-13 episodes this season Sad

I actually like the art design. I think it's a signature look, and it kinda fits the theme and feel of the story (which is kinda creepy and weird, in my opinion).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
The designs themselves aren't bad. I like the style. I just find that they are horribly inconsistent when it comes to drawing it, leading to character proportions looking really bad. One time in the first season I thought Watanuki looked more like a daddy long legs than a person, his legs and arms were that long. Oh, and often Yuuko's breasts look significantly larger than her head. It's awkward.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The designs themselves aren't bad. I like the style. I just find that they are horribly inconsistent when it comes to drawing it, leading to character proportions looking really bad. One time in the first season I thought Watanuki looked more like a daddy long legs than a person, his legs and arms were that long. Oh, and often Yuuko's breasts look significantly larger than her head. It's awkward.

Ah yeah. I noticed that too, especially the one about Yuuko Laughing

I like Watanuki's long limbs though. It makes his flailing habit a lot funnier Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
When he's flailing, I agree the long legs and arms look good. It's just so many of the normal shots he looks really bad. I think it's been a bit better with this season, or maybe I've just gotten used to it.

Apparently it looks a lot better in widescreen, but I've never had a chance to see it like that.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Psyco13 wrote:
but than I bought the first season and the movie.
Bought from where? Are you talking about R2s because the R1 release isn't finished yet.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
i tried watching them and after reading the manga (only on vol. 6) and seeing its great artwork, it was hard to see the anime and see them butcher (imo) the artwork. It just doesnt fit right and screws up the anime for me, plus they are leaving out alot of pretty big things.
Psyco13

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
well actually I bought them from a friend who didn't want them anymore and I don't know where he got them.

as for the story I really enjoy it; I kinda wish they would tell us what spoiler[ Himawari is i mean it's kinda weird Yuko hints a lot about her and Watanuki has no clue frankly niether do i. I just want to know her background why is she in the anime lol besides the fact that he likes her.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Psyco13 wrote:
s for the story I really enjoy it; I kinda wish they would tell us what spoiler[ Himawari is i mean it's kinda weird Yuko hints a lot about her and Watanuki has no clue frankly niether do i. I just want to know her background why is she in the anime lol besides the fact that he likes her.]

The story arc that explains this is coming up fairly soon. It was the focus of vol 10 of the manga and the stories that have been covered so far are from the volumes just before that.

I don't think they've really left out all that much, beyond the crossovers with Tsubasa (which I keep hoping aren't as important as they seem at times). What they have done however is change the order of the storylines a lot, so it seems that something isn't there because it was actually moved and put somewhere else.
Psyco13

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Well i don't mind when it appears as long as it does haha and I also checked wiki there are 26 episodes this season so not 12 unless wiki is wrong *they are a lot of the times*
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for a thread to open. The recently finished spider grudge arc was dam interesting but its pretty cool how spoiler[Doumeki gave Watanuki half of his eye and how sometimes Doumeki can see out of it.] What I enjoy most about Holic is how they turn everyday myths, curses, events, customs and etc into unique stories. Although I admit the character designs are sometimes inconsistent, I still place holic 3rd on seasons best right behind kurenai and macross frontier.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I don't think they've really left out all that much, beyond the crossovers with Tsubasa (which I keep hoping aren't as important as they seem at times).

It seems it is. Apparently Syaoran and Watanuki had a very close relationship in the past. spoiler[Watanuki has even sacrificed his memories in order to help Syaoran.]

Quote:
Well i don't mind when it appears as long as it does haha and I also checked wiki there are 26 episodes this season so not 12 unless wiki is wrong *they are a lot of the times*

Also, according to this site the number of episodes is 26.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet but saw a trailer and it looks pretty nice. I'm actually going to use the movie i get with the tsubasa one to help my judgement.

Also are those two sisters lesbians?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
Also are those two sisters lesbians?

They're playful. Take that for what you will.

Aside from the opening of the first season, I don't really recall anything else that implies anything like that. spoiler[Also, they're not really human. They this explain to Watanuki at some point in the first season about how they can't leave Yuuko's property because their existence is somehow tied to it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4