• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GANTZ PS2 Game update

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well just got a chance to play the japanese version.

The game pretty much follow the tv/manga story line. There are spoiler for the first 2 episode only.

spoiler[The game start off with 'em in the room after they die. Everyone is there, the Dog, Kurono, Nishi (the guy that knows a lot), Kato (tall dude), the girl Kishimoto, and the dog. There's also a scene were Kishimoto appear out of thin air like in the anime, except the camera is place in which you can't see any private area. Also the scene in which the dog is licking the girl's crotch was in the game. The first mission is the same as the story line in which you're to find and kill the little green onion alien. There are different equiemnt for you to suit up your character with. What's missing? The criminal and semi-important character.

So you're in control of Kei Kurono and you choose 2 other teammate (yes you can choose the dog if you wish). Your subcharacter are important and they can die in a bloody messy too.There's an attack (fist) button, jump button, drive attack button, a shoot (gun) buttom. Also a charge up button in wich you glow red and able to run faster and become stronger.

You're launch right into a dark nighborhood. It's a beat'em up type of game so you run around beating the crap out of many little green onion alien (yes there are a couple of them in the game) until you reach the Big daddy alien. You can do overkill which cause their to explode into a mess. and if you leave the resticted area, you're shot and kill.

I only got through the first stage but I believe more character join you later on]

So was the game good? Well if you're a fan of gantz, you'll probably like it. If not, then you're just going to be running throgh area and beating the crap out of the bad guys to advance. Much like the Fullmetal alchemist game. It pretty much follow the storyline of GANTZ and there are tons of dialog to go through.

Trailer/Website

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
djarch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
Any chance this game will come to the US? I saw the trailer, and it looks pretty sweet (for what it is).

If not, I guess I'll have to import it...

but you said, lots of dialogue? Perhaps a thorough understanding of Japanese is necessary then?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
djarch wrote:
Any chance this game will come to the US? I saw the trailer, and it looks pretty sweet (for what it is).

If not, I guess I'll have to import it...

but you said, lots of dialogue? Perhaps a thorough understanding of Japanese is necessary then?

Yup, a lot of dialog. Sometimes they ask you what you want to say and I pretty much just choose whatever. You lose points if you say the wrong thing? I was sitting there, pressing the next button. But they're pretty much saying the same stuff that was in the tv or manga series. The game though does an execellent job of teaching how to play though, even if you don't know japanese.

It was just release a fews ago in Japan. The chance of the game coming to the U.S.? Depend on how well the Gantz is receive over here, but I doubt it. If you're a big importer though, check it out, if not God of War is a good alternative. I really hope it does make it though, I'm a huge Gantz fans.

Trailer/Website
cell21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Is there a time limit when u actually play like in the anime?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Nope no timer for the first stage. I stop playing, too busy working my way through Tekken 5.

No news on the bebop game coming over, and no news on the berserk game either. I'm not sure, but anime games doesn't seem to be popular among most gamers.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I'm not sure, but anime games doesn't seem to be popular among most gamers.

Actually, if you look at the Community Ratings for many of the anime-based game reviews on many websites, you'll notice 8s and 9s there.

I'm more appalled by the critics for the most part. I mean, in the end, they rate it low and continually say that only the "hardcore" fans will like it. Well, yes, Mr. / Mrs. Obvious, we would like it -- we are the target market, after all. (That seems to be the anime-based game keyword: "hardcore".)

GANTZ, when it comes over, will most likely get the same 5s and 6s the critics really tend to dole out to the anime-based games. True gamers and fans won't care what they have to say about it, though -- the high Community Ratings are proof of that. Smile
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
If it dose come state side, I will only buy it if the ADV cast dose the Game.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
I'm not sure, but anime games doesn't seem to be popular among most gamers.

Actually, if you look at the Community Ratings for many of the anime-based game reviews on many websites, you'll notice 8s and 9s there.

I'm more appalled by the critics for the most part. I mean, in the end, they rate it low and continually say that only the "hardcore" fans will like it. Well, yes, Mr. / Mrs. Obvious, we would like it -- we are the target market, after all. (That seems to be the anime-based game keyword: "hardcore".)

GANTZ, when it comes over, will most likely get the same 5s and 6s the critics really tend to dole out to the anime-based games. True gamers and fans won't care what they have to say about it, though -- the high Community Ratings are proof of that. Smile

The problem is they just don't make great anime-base game that even non-anime fan could enjoy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1