• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's Original Ed, Al to Reprise Roles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm confused about this new series. Is it a continuation of the FMA story from the first series and movie or is a remake of the original story based purely on the manga? I know the anime diverged from the manga at some point (I never read the whole manga, just bits and pieces), but would a retelling of manga be redundant?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I'm confused about this new series. Is it a continuation of the FMA story from the first series and movie or is a remake of the original story based purely on the manga? I know the anime diverged from the manga at some point (I never read the whole manga, just bits and pieces), but would a retelling of manga be redundant?

It's a remake closer to the manga, and about 2/3rd of the manga is completely different from the anime. The main villain is different, the way the Homunculi are created are different, several homunculi are different, and several important plot points are different.

An example is that Winry's parents where killed by someone else.
Amaya no Hime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, thank goodness. I'd honestly not have watched the series otherwise. Now I just need Megumi Toyoguchi and Keiji Fujiwara to reprise their roles, and I'll be happy.

Last edited by Amaya no Hime on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, in the manga Al's character is dealt with much better than in the anime, and it isn't only Al.
Even Riza and Winry are much better, and Ed too, even if it was really well-characterized in the anime too.

The anime was a masterpiece anyway, still the ending didn't fit for me, and the movie less than it (I didn't like the movie much, it was "just" good).

I'm really looking forward to this new series, let's hope it'll live up to the expectations. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
totalgeek wrote:

It's a remake closer to the manga, and about 2/3rd of the manga is completely different from the anime. The main villain is different, the way the Homunculi are created are different, several homunculi are different, and several important plot points are different.

About Winry; I think the anime version was better than the manga version. It added something to mustangs character. Scar is kind of one dimensional in the manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
fusion duelist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
totalgeek wrote:

About Winry; I think the anime version was better than the manga version. It added something to mustangs character. Scar is kind of one dimensional in the manga

I am just going to assume you have only read the volumes released in English, and not the volumes released in Japan.

You can't possibly call Scar One Dimensional after Volume 18. The death of Winry's parents had a much great impact in the manga since it changed one character so much.

Also I don't understand how Mustang spoiler[killing Winry's parents added something? I mean we already knew he killed people because he was ordered too. Theirs no difference between the time Mustang killed Ishvalans with the time Mustang killed Winry's parents. On the other hand the Rockbells are the only civilians Scar's killed in the manga. ]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I think I like Scar better in the anime, too. Mostly because he doesn't become irrelevant and outlive his stay. Now, true, Scar is currently the only guy who can comfortably take on Father's guards, since he can't be canceled out, but as a character he's pretty much pointless at this time. He's less of a character and more of a weapon now. In the first anime series, spoiler[he actually becomes more important up until his death. ] Still, there's plenty of time for Arakawa to remedy this. It's not like she's done just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think I like Scar better in the anime, too. Mostly because he doesn't become irrelevant and outlive his stay. Now, true, Scar is currently the only guy who can comfortably take on Father's guards, since he can't be canceled out, but as a character he's pretty much pointless at this time. He's less of a character and more of a weapon now. In the first anime series, spoiler[he actually becomes more important up until his death. ] Still, there's plenty of time for Arakawa to remedy this. It's not like she's done just yet.

The point of Scar is showing what happens when a man lets anger take control of his life, what revenge causes, onlyby Winry refusing to let revenge consume her is Scar freed of the bonds of revenge, after that Scar needs to redeem himself for all the wrongs he did.

While in the anime Scar is more useful thats only because Dante is too stupid to just order people to make Philosopher's stones for her.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Being a Risembool Ranger, I visit Vic's fansite forums a lot and I posted a link to this story there, I know all the FMA fans are hoping Vic and Aron could reprise their roles, but Aron would have to have his voice digitally altered a lot to pull that off. Vic could pull it off no sweat, but I take back what I said in another thread about someone else playing those roles, but I wonder if the company that gets the license and the Japanese production staff will want Vic back.

Also, which episode in the anime starts to divert from the manga? I can't remember.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've heard some convention stories of Aaron Dismuke being asked to do Al's voice, and responding, "Sorry, can't do it anymore." If you want to hear a more recent Dismuke performance, check him out as Yasuchika Morinozuka in ep 18 of Ouran HS Host Club. But maybe the magic of the metal bowl and the differences in a remake will make it possible again.

I've been reading that this might be more of a issue of Aaron getting tired of people trying to get him to sound like he use to at every other convention verses him not wanting to come back and do the character again, if asked (he might not even have know about all of this until lately).

That said, yes his voice has changed and I get the drift (I think from the Ouran commentary or some interview I read) that his voice is apt to end up quite a bit lower than it is even now. That said, if the new FMA is willing to work with Aaron's voice change I think Aarons current voice might work (I've also heard him in a early Tsubasa Chronicle episode and I think he can still pull off a bit higher than he's doing in Ouran but it just isn't going to be the same voice as the original series unless digital tweaking can prove my ears wrong).

Then again, they could go with a new VA for Al and put Aaron in another part. The manga of FMA has more regular recurring characters than original Anime version does so there are opportunities to put Aaron in other rolls, IMO. I just hope whoever gets this new FMA anime decides to just use the original cast, even if they can't get everyone back, because I'm not really looking forward to a new voice cast in this Sad .
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
There was a new ad this morning during the airing of the latest episode of Gundam 00.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
I can't tell where that scene is from
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I can't tell where that scene is from

Aside from the obvious human transmutation scene, it's probably just random promotional animation. Maybe its even from the opening or closing credit sequence.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
That's what I am hoping for since no scene matches the criteria of Train, Central, and Transmutaion array around Central.

Though I do love the alchemy lightning effects.
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
first of all FUNIMATION SUX...licensing is ok..but to stop fansubbers from subbing animes is just too harsh..what should the guys in the indian subcontinent do to watch their favourite animes..as for getting back the original voice cast..this is really good as the japanese vas are million times better than their english counterparts. no offense against vic and aaron..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5