• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Fansubs (Pt 1)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
But no one can say for sure exactly when US companies decided to import anime, or whether or not it was fansubs that originally brought anime to the States. For all we know, it could have been legit R1 releases of crappy old OVAs that introduced it to the States.

Also Robotech and Voltron

Robotech was a product of fansubbing:). Carl Macek got a hold of copies of Robotech brought home by someone who was stationed in Okinawa while in the military. Carl watched a fansub of it, loved it, and wondered what it would cost to buy the rights to bring it over and how much money he could get it someone was willing to broadcast it on television.

I'm not going to argue that every anime ever brought here was influenced by fansubs, but it does influence people and companies. There is a flood of anime in the market. Most of this happens when ADV or Viz or whoever buys the rights to an anime show but the anime studio in Japan bargians into the deal that these companies have to also distribute a couple others series with it. How do you think series like Sugar Snow fairies gets brought over here?

This debate over fan distribution and downloading is not only happening in the anime culture, but is going on in fan circles about British and Eroupean television. Doctor Who anyone?

Last edited by amono on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
In fact, *because* I review R1 anime, I realize that the R1 industry is the lifeblood of my job. Because I review anime, I am more pro-industry now than I was before I started reviewing. When people don't buy legit releases, it affects the lives of people I know. Friends have gotten laid off because of the health of the industry. It's not just about you.
Everyone takes chances in life. You and your friends have taken a chance and jumped on the anime hype train. Anime seemed like it would get big in the U.S., instead it's down to only a couple of licensees, retailers with decent selection, a rental service or two, and one single professional anime news site. Consider yourself lucky. Fansubs haven't killed your precious R1 industry, it's the industry that overestimated the hype, governed anime properties and its fans poorly, and then proceeded to kill itself.
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
amono: But that doesn't excuse wanting it NOW NOW NOW (that is, the fact that we don't get it the very second the Japanese do). Patience is a wonderful thing.

Let me relate a personal issue to y'all.

I hope it's evident that I'm an Eva fan at this point. Look at my username for God's sake. So do you know how excited I was when I found out my all-time favorite animated show was getting remade as four all-new movies? Quite. Of course, someone ripped the movie and decided to fansub it, now lots and lots of people have seen it because they couldn't wait.

I had hope, however, that someone would license it because Eva is still viable for the US market. In fact, I bet ADV would have loved to have had it, but I am confident that FUNi will do a good job with it.

I won't mince words when I say I was tempted, just this once, to break my policy. But I decided to let my moral judgment get the better of me. I will wait until November. I will buy it then. I will not allow my guilty conscience to weigh over me, though, because I didn't do anything wrong.

Eva is one of those releases where any exec worth their salt should know that many people will both download and buy the DVD. Kind of like what happened with hardcore Lord of the Rings fans when the movies came out.

My guess is that ADV simply did not have access to the amount of money that Gainax was probably demanding for the license - I can't imagine anything being more expensive to license than Eva. Funimation, being in much better shape, probably picked up the show after negotiations with ADV fell through.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
In fact, *because* I review R1 anime, I realize that the R1 industry is the lifeblood of my job. Because I review anime, I am more pro-industry now than I was before I started reviewing. When people don't buy legit releases, it affects the lives of people I know. Friends have gotten laid off because of the health of the industry. It's not just about you.
Everyone takes chances in life. You and your friends have taken a chance and jumped on the anime hype train. Anime seemed like it would get big in the U.S., instead it's down to only a couple of licensees, retailers with decent selection, a rental service or two, and one single professional anime news site. Consider yourself lucky. Fansubs haven't killed your precious R1 industry, it's the industry that overestimated the hype, governed anime properties and its fans poorly, and then proceeded to kill itself.

So you're insulting her profession and saying it's based entirely on empty hype.

Classy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
The ANN Chicks wrote:

The fansub debate has been raging for almost as long as digital fansubbing has been around.

Whaaat? It's been raging much longer than that. Razz

Anyhow, for those interested, here's the old ol' Fansub Code of Ethics. And here's an old Summary of Discussions about it. In short, fansubbers make fansubs of a title so that fans of that title increases so that domestic companies realize it's a viable title to license. There are grey area corollaries like if the domestic company screws up the release or there's no sub version, etc, but that's pretty much it in simple terms. Nothing about mainstreaming or timeshifting or stuff like that.

Fansubs and domestic releases work well when they strike a balance wherein both sides benefit, such as when fansub watchers spend money on titles they love so that they continue producing such titles.

Anyways, there seems to be some logic contradictions in the article like:
getfresh wrote:

The purpose is to get anime or foreign media in general, of interest into the light of the mainstream.

The issue I see currently is that the mainstream promotional faction is not meeting the needs or wants of the hardcore community.

My dream, in a nut shell, is joint production and release via broadcast stations.

You can't serve 2 masters: the mainstream and the hardcores. Once you mainstream something, you'd have to abide by other rules like the BS&P that the hardcores are not bound by.

Furthermore, there are more to "joint production" than you realize. Implications include joint marketplace and joint target audience. That means the anime has to pander to both Japanese and American fans, including (if that's your goal) the American mainstream. How do you think the hardcore fans will feel about that? They are already complaining when their anime get too much influenced by American standards; imagine if their anime are (mainstream) American-predisposed to begin with? Shocked
amono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Unit 3.5-ish, I can see your enthusiasm to seeing the Eva film. Is it going to theaters?!?

Anyhow, I don't see anything wrong with waiting to see a dvd release instead of watching a fansub. I feel the same way about pirated movies that are in the theater. If I have a chance to see a movie in the theater, I'm going to go see it there. I am not going to watch some shaky cam pirated download. It is not the same.

I don't watch fansubs because I'm impatient. I think of it as watching a series on TV. If I really like that series I will go buy the DVD with all the cool extras and what ever when it comes out. But if I watch a series on TV and It's not so good, then I won't.

Most of everyone's argument about fansubs seems to be that it is some form of Pirating and takes away from the anime industry. Don't forget that most anime were TV shows in Japan and broadcasted for free on Japanese Television. Even in Japan, no one is going to buy a TV show on DVD unless they really liked it when they saw it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
After reading through all fourteen pages of this thread, I've realized that the main problem with this entire conversation, and the very reason that I don't plan on wasting any more time getting involved with it, is that certain people seem to be painting one whole side of the discussion with the same ridiculously broad brush. Do you know what treating every single person who downloads fansubs, who has downloaded fansubs in the past, or who has even thought about downloading fansubs at any point accomplishes? Nothing at all...nothing, that is, except royally annoying those of us who do support the R1 industry and take pride in doing so. All downloaders are not created equal; in fact, one might surmise that there are as many individual opinions about why to do it as there are downloaders. What I do know for a fact is that not every person who downloads fansubs does an equal amount of harm to the industry, and I will never accept that people who only use fansubs as an incentive to buy their respective titles are doing any sort of any discernible harm. I also know that, without the downloading I've done, anime companies would be out a few hundred dollars' worth of additional sales, so take that as you will.

Oh, and enjoy the same old circular arguments that go absolutely nowhere.
amono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
It's just a discussion. I just wanted to see what other people thought about fansubbing. Maybe shed light on the history of it. You can't understand other people's perspective if you don't read their opinion. We may not all agree, but the idea is to understand and be understood.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
changing tracks a bit because all of this arguing is rather tiring..
so, responding to a buried reply:

0utf0xZer0 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Every business entity in this chain from producer to consumer looks to make as much profit for themselves as possible. And every layer comes with more political and monetary overhead of having more people to pay just to manage that portion of the chain (i.e. contracts, negotiations). The amount of money that ends with the actual creators is small by comparison

I think the current license bidding, lump sum payment model should also be done away with or redesigned somehow.

I would love to simply be able to make donations to studios with a little note specifying what show evoked the donation. After all, supporting the creators is pretty much the only reason I buy DVDs, 95% of the time it offers no other advantages over fansub I consider worthwhile.

I would also love to have a more direct way of compensating the creators directly or implicitly via ad-supported means. The overall cost I think would be cheaper for us and for them. The music industry is already moving towards that direction with self-publishing. Of course currently, there's no way in hell that MFI would allow you to bypass them and give money straight to Xebec for Kanokon for example. On the other hand for other shows like Eve no Jikan, watching it on CR is practically supporting the creators themselves; likewise if a title like Musou Kakyou ever made it out here.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Even if different people have different policies in regards to downloading, buying, etc., that still does not change the fact that they did something that was questionable in terms of both the law and basic morality. It doesn't really excuse what's been done, and again, I want to go back to Bamboo's "Let them eat cake" statement. Anime is not a necessity, it is not a vital part of my existence on this planet, it is technically no more beneficial to me than, say, children's card games.

So some series never get here. So? I can live. I still have a ridiculous amount of Christmas anime to get through, and I frequently still buy plenty of boxed sets. I have enough to entertain me for a good several weeks, but I won't lose sleep over the fact that "Robot With a Ridiculous Name Anime X" or "Shonen Series the Billionth" might not come here. I'm happy with what IS available, and again, if it never came here, there certainly must be a good reason. R1 companies don't HAVE to give us anime, but they do it because there's still a demand for it, regardless of wehether people fansub or not.

amono wrote:
It's just a discussion. I just wanted to see what other people thought about fansubbing. Maybe shed light on the history of it. You can't understand other people's perspective if you don't read their opinion. We may not all agree, but the idea is to understand and be understood.

Thank you. That's all this is, people talking about the place fansubs have in the world of modern anime. We can at least try to be civil to one another and not let it devolve into name-calling or assholish behavior.
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
So you're insulting her profession and saying it's based entirely on empty hype.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure blindfolding yourself and covering your ears will somehow make the situation go away. Rolling Eyes
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
So if I steal a loaf of bread from the store, eat it, then later go back and promise them I'll pay them back the full price of said loaf, that makes it all right, doesn't it?

Again, stealing versus copyright infringement. The only way these would be relevant is if someone stole the actual DVD.

Or lets try another one. Theft of Intellectual Property. It's their work, you do not have permission to partake of it, you have not paid to partake of it, therefore it is theft. [/end]

funilackey wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Yet both are still illegal. That is not up for debate.

But copyrights exist to protect a person's (or group of people's) original concepts. Otherwise, everyone would use the same idea and try to make it out to be their own original concept, which simply is not true. Fansubbers steal copyrighted work WITHOUT PERMISSION of the companies. They are infringing upon trademarked material that is not theirs to do as they please with.

The thing is that the American anime industry doesn't make money to the proveyors of the original content. Profits are dramatically more to the Licensors then the licensee which is asinine.

No, it's not asinine. It's business. The American companies are paying the Japanese company for the right to release the series in the North American region. Once the American company has paid for the right to release that material, how much they make off of it is their own business and does not factor into the equation. And as it stands right now, no, their profits are not dramatically more than what they paid to the Japanese licensor, seeing as how the industry is going through severe contractions right now. [/end]

And at about half of the posts in general, I'm sorry, but they all reek of entitlement. Talking about how "it's not available by any other means so download a fansub" doesn't work. You have no right to watch it, you have no 'entitlement' to watch it. If you cannot see it legally in your region, whether by paid download, legal ad-supported stream, tv broadcast, library, B&M or online rental, then you have no place to say you get to download the fansub, simply because there is no other way to see it. That, is entitlement. And you do not have any. To continue that train of thought is beyond stupidity. Come up with something better now or your arguments have no validity at all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
Oh, here's another write-up (what looks like a thesis) about fansubbing, interestingly this time from an IAAL (as opposed to IANAL - I Am Not A Lawer) lawyer's perspective: Laughing

Of Otakus and Fansubs: A Critical Look at Anime Online in Light of Current Issues in Copyright Law

As for those outside the R1 region, I feel for ya. I'd been in your situation. But as I mentioned earlier about the old Fansub Code of Ethics, the point concerns licensing by domestic companies. What's domestic to them may not be domestic to you, and vice versa. Yet so long as much of English fansubbing involves R1 participants, they will be guided by issues domestic to them.

Still, there's a way to get your fix. This used to be done more often, believe it or not:
Buy the Japanese DVDs then get the translated scripts from translators. The Japanese get their money; you get your translations you can read while watching the DVDs. Cool
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Screw the copyrights, I have entitlement!

That's what it sounds like, to me. teh*darkness, the entitlement argument will be given constantly no matter what. They can dress it up with fancy rewordings, but it all comes down to people thinking they have an inalienable right to be entertained.

Your only undeniable NEEDS are food, clothing, and shelter. Everything else is a bonus, essentially.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
At every turn, people seem to try to turn this thread into a crusade for/against fansubbers.

A lot of us here are not trying to justify fansubs but rather discussing what it would (or wouldn't) take for fansubs to go away, which is very relevant to the article itself. Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly difficult to hunt through the crusader posts and find the more interesting ones.

I wish we could all just stay on topic.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 31