• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sora Kake Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:

Eps.3-4:...This entire segment is completely family-friendly, by the way Laughing

Yes, but it was completely hilarious Smile It actually continues the same running joke from episode 2 where spoiler[Leopard "misfired"].

Imo-chan and her love of passenger machines is also a source of great fun and she and the other AI things are adorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

Imo-chan and her love of passenger machines is also a source of great fun and she and the other AI things are adorable.

They would be better of (for me) if they didn't resembel potatoes so much. I hate potatoes Evil or Very Mad
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
larinon wrote:

They would be better of (for me) if they didn't resembel potatoes so much. I hate potatoes Evil or Very Mad

If that's the case, you wouldn't mind if they ended up like this, right? Laughing
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Azmodeus wrote:
larinon wrote:

If that's the case, you wouldn't mind if they ended up like this, right? Laughing

Nope! My hatred for potatoes only stretches as far as they are still potatoes. French fries, chips and other snacks is perfectly digestible.

To get back on OT, Is it just me or is the OP and ED hinting at a much grander scheme than we've seen so far? When Ali project starts singing about Akiha (The girl who jumped trough space) they end that part of the song with with "even a goddess can't rule" and likewise when they endend the OP they sang "even a god can't destroy everything". What do you guys think? Is there an epic plot in the brewing? Or am i just reading way to much into the music of a parody-anime Confused
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
To get back on OT, Is it just me or is the OP and ED hinting at a much grander scheme than we've seen so far? When Ali project starts singing about Akiha (The girl who jumped trough space) they end that part of the song with with "even a goddess can't rule" and likewise when they endend the OP they sang "even a god can't destroy everything". What do you guys think? Is there an epic plot in the brewing? Or am i just reading way to much into the music of a parody-anime Confused

Personally, that's part of what attracted me to it. I feel a potential Gurren Lagann galaxy-killing in the making, if they can pull it off. Wink Leopard is a megalomaniac, obviously, and they aren't telling us what it will mean for him to collect all the missing items that he needs to "mature". And keep in mind, this is a huge empty colony. Ummm... where are the people that it was built for? Seems he doesn't consider humans worth having around... (we don't even know yet what or who Honoka Kawai is, really)

I'm still trying to figure out the significance of him calling Akiha "dead leaves". Is that obvious to someone else? Unless it's referring to the movie, which could be, but doesn't immediately make sense to me.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
According to the fansubbed version i saw, Dead leaves is a wordplay on her first name (akiha) which translates to autumn leaves. In short, i's just Leopard being his usual demeaning self.

I agree that their is something going on here, and a whole riot of people seem to be in on it as well. spoiler[Akihas big sister thanked the school principle for helping out with something regarding Akiha, which lead her to say that "she has only just started running". ] Then we have the unidentified fiancé (is that the right spelling? not sure) spoiler[who, for some reason, said he could wait a little just right after she first met Leopard]. And what about the ICP? spoiler[Nina and Ul both seem have investigated something fishy in the past, which lead to the founding of the paranormal division, and now they'r on to a cover-up regarding none other than everyones favorite sexually harassing A.I.]. And the plot keeps on....Thicking!?
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
According to the fansubbed version i saw, Dead leaves is a wordplay on her first name (akiha) which translates to autumn leaves. In short, i's just Leopard being his usual demeaning self.

Ah, that does make it funny! My translation sites ranged from "weariness" to "salmon swimming upstream", with a couple mentions of "autumn", but nothing about "leaves". I watched a different version than you. OH! But you know what, autumn came up more than once alone, so I bet it's really just "autumn" and not "autumn leaves", since dead leaves come in autumn. You wouldn't need the "leaves" part added to make the joke work. I should have noticed that myself.

Azmodeus wrote:
I agree that their is something going on here, and a whole riot of people seem to be in on it as well. spoiler[Akihas big sister thanked the school principle for helping out with something regarding Akiha, which lead her to say that "she has only just started running". ] Then we have the unidentified fiancé (is that the right spelling? not sure) spoiler[who, for some reason, said he could wait a little just right after she first met Leopard]. And what about the ICP? spoiler[Nina and Ul both seem have investigated something fishy in the past, which lead to the founding of the paranormal division, and now they'r on to a cover-up regarding none other than everyones favorite sexually harassing A.I.]. And the plot keeps on....Thicking!?

Oh, there is so much going on, I'm hoping they tie it together smartly. And yes, a whole crowd of characters, all interesting and unique personalities and designs so I'm never confused. At first I thought the spoiler[fiance was the student council president, but he turned out to have a bit part. Could it be Leopard posing as someone else? I don't think so, but then I don't think it's anyone we've seen. The fact they kept that plot line open means something. ] I already commented on a lot of this stuff earlier--the spoiler[woman in her "dreams", if that's what they are? And now we're getting to the other sisters... and we haven't been told anything about the box people or Honoka's relation to them yet...] it's a fun ride so far.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The character design as well as the story seems to take several cues from My-hime and it worked pretty brilliant back then so i'm betting my money on them slowly revealing the pices to the pussel bit by bit in the first half, then wham it of with a big revelation or two halfway trough, then use the rest of the series to reveal the big picture. Thats how My-hime did it! tTat's how Geas does it!And it's worked out pretty well so far.

P.S: I will probably edit in a little more thoughs on the show tommorow, but now it's close to 11PM up here and my body and my mind is having an argument wether i need to sleep or not. The stomach, which is the undisputed Leopard of my body is full, so he doesn't plan on interfering.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:

Racist! Razz

I am now (after ep 5) completely, 100% sold on this show. I still don't know exactly what's going on or what Leopold is trying to accomplish, but honestly that makes up a lot of the intrigue for this show.

As far as Imo-chan goes, I get a big kick out of how she would spoiler[be in her Maid body and then jump out of its head and hug-attack Akiha while the body falls lifeless,] it makes me laugh everytime! Laughing

Kannagi spoiler[joining up with Akiha and Leopold] was more than expected, but I feel that it really works for her character. After all, she was pretty much spoiler['offed' by her higher-ups, so joing forces with her targets was the best thing she could do.] In fact, the hilarious character interactions are a key factor in this show; Akiha's hostile relations with Leopold, Honoka's weird "to the point" nature, and Kannagi's inability to interact with normal people, such enjoyment.
I'm really looking forward to the next episode; more chances for Honoka to kick some ass! Twisted Evil
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i'm also way past sold and is probably heading towards the beaten path of addiction.

Eps. 5 has a lot of highlights. Akihas "greeting" towards Leopard after his previous stripping session was drop dead hilarious. We also get to see a little more of her family (which seems to be waaaaay more than your average Jetsons). And for a fellow aimless one, it was pretty good character-development on Akihas part in general, what's with spoiler[all her sisters being either celebrities or geniuses, while she remains the average one (man i can relate to that Rolling Eyes )]. And is it just me or is the situation between Honoka, Akiha and Leopard starting look like two divorced parents and their child? And Leopard only being spoiler[21 % complete] certainly means we still have lots of more intergalactic tongue-in-check hijinks to look forward to. I'm already hoping for a second season Razz .

And on another note, i'm not a racist. I'm a vegetableist Cool. And considering Imo-chans size, wouldn't the maid body count as a full scale mecha? Just curious.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
And considering Imo-chans size, wouldn't the maid body count as a full scale mecha? Just curious.

Confused interesting question, I think I smell an Answerman e-mail coming on....

ok, not really...
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ep 06

More awesomeness... Again, am I silly and a noob for liking this show so much? But I don't care. This is 3X better than To Aru Majutsu no Index. Besides Toradora!, which can't really be compared because it's a different genre, this is without doubt my favorite show of the season, and most of last season as well (except Kannagi, again different genre).

I laughed as much, maybe more in this episode than any one so far... and we learn a lot this time. DO NOT read these spoilers if you haven't seen this episode!

The moments:

X-QT Aleida, you remember her/it, right? She is the spoiler[biggest badass so far, but when she powers up her tachyon spear to obliterate all our girls (and Ul, of course), Honoka goes frickin total medieval in an instant, and it's one of the most awesome images I've seen in anime. It's really quick, but so effective]

Okay, it's a really obvious reference, but I LOL'd when spoiler[Ul does an R2D2, his connection device an exact replica, on the mainframe at the Artemis prison. I don't have time to check, but his line about disabling the security system sounds almost word for word out of Star Wars.]

And when (I'm laughing as I type...) the spoiler[Asimo (Honda) robot greets them "let's be friends", which nobody believes, and so a pointless fight that ensues... Then you find out that Sakura found him and upgraded him, which is why he...]

...also does a spoiler[Neo (Matrix) ninja move, complete with hand wave. ]This is just too much... Smile

Sakura has finally appeared, and she's a spoiler[total loli genius ditz surrounded by plushies, and has an interesting ecchi scarf that fondles Itsuki... what next?]

The answers:

So Takane, the head of the family reveals spoiler[that she and the family have known about Akiha's having found Leopard, and are even aware that she's headed to the moon. Leads me to believe they planned the hook-up for some reason... OH! Now I wonder if Leopard really is the fiance! (Honoka also reminded Leopard that he "chose her") Another layer, but deeper secrets yet to be revealed. ]

The box guys spoiler[are slaves of Nerval, an enemy which I don't recall the details on, if they were ever revealed. X-QT Aleida is their manager-bitch (also a bit of a dom, from Kakane's strung-up pose Smile), apparently, and there's big war brewing]

Leopard/Zero continues his entertaining ways, but spoiler[follows everyone to the moon, and when he appears, Artemis the prison is revealed to be another apparent rogue colony buried in the moon, and he's Leopard's rival, ready for a showdown.]

I sure hope they keep up the pace. That hasn't been a problem in the few shows of theirs that I've seen, and they also usually know how to end a show. I'll be really disappointed if this one goes into fail.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
So who watched Episode 7 (well for me that was a few weeks ago)! I think we finally got ourselves some semblance of a plotline. But enough of that, the most important thing is that....

spoiler[- TAKANE!!! Wow, what a total badass comeback! Shocked

- HELL YEAH, she needs to wear this more often! Shocked Embarassed

- Hehehe, so Sakura commands a ship of her own! Why am I not surprised?

- A new colony has appeared, and it's voiced by Rie Tanaka...oh god! Laughing]

Next episode, hot springs......you know the drill! Wink

You know, I am almost certain this series has become sort of a sly parody of almost every plot device and tropes Sunrise has used recently. And the character designs for the girls....hot damn the upcoming Comiket is going to be mighty fine! And also I have to say the fanservice level is pretty much on the mark of being sleek and sexy looking (I can't emphasize enough how those latex space suit are really drool worthy)! Cool
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Next episode, hot springs......you know the drill! Wink

You know, I am almost certain this series has become sort of a sly parody of almost every plot device and tropes Sunrise has used recently. And the character designs for the girls....hot damn the upcoming Comiket is going to be mighty fine! And also I have to say the fanservice level is pretty much on the mark of being sleek and sexy looking (I can't emphasize enough how those latex space suit are really drool worthy)! Cool

Hot springs? Are you talking about ep 7 or ep 8 here? I avoided your spoilers because I didn't see any mention of hot springs in the preview in ep 7. I don't watch until fansubs come out, and I haven't seen ep 8 available yet. Anyway, I didn't post after 7 because I was just talking to myself. I'm enjoying the show, but apparently one of the few. Plus I've been too busy to keep up with weekly eps lately, except Toradora!, which I refuse to miss. Smile

So now, we see the outline of the plot. The fact that spoiler[Nerval and Xanthippe seem to be Leopard's "parents"] is a nice twist. And I always laugh at the parts they collect, as in the spoiler[Golden Orb Warmer] this time.

Took awhile, but I'm glad to see all the spoiler[sisters] gathered. You're right about the merchandising angle. This show should be a bonanza for figure sales. Wink Have you seen the Akiha figure coming out? I don't buy them, but it's a good one. Really captures her personality.

I'm sure I miss a lot of the references, not being a mecha or long-time anime fan, so not having seen all the shows that might be referenced. But I get a few of them. You know, at one point people speculated that this was going to be a spin-off of sorts from My HIME/Otome, and there is some resemblance in character designs, but I don't get much beyond that--other than the "all-girl" cast. I'm marathoning that entire set now that My-Otome 0~S.ifr~ has finished. I'm a few eps into Otome, and this time, because I'm watching back-to-back, the crossovers from HIME are much more enjoyable. I recognize all the characters, some of which I had forgotten the first time I watched Otome on fansubs. More direct crossover in Kakeru would be a good thing.

Any case, yes, I'm definitely still with it. And if hot springs is in their future, I'm happy. Smile
Mitsuho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Her name means autumn leaves. Aki is the kanji for autumn and ha is the kanji for leaf. Example: Naruto's konoha is the hidden village of leaf. The 'ha' is the same morpheme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3