• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shin Mazinger -- info and discussion.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, definately like a teaser trailer... But thankfully we're only being teased until next week and not next YEAR or something like that! Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this'll be able to show up Gurren Lagann which was showing up itself from the past? Probably not in popular view, but this could still be fairly epic anyway. I haven't seen the original or any of its spinoffs, and I'm not sure I want to since they tend to suffer from 70's super robot anime syndrome. Mazinger always has come out as the lead super robot show though, probably since it was one of the first big ones.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it definitely will. Gurren Lagann itself draws heavily from old super robot shows. While I was watching TTGL, I definitely noticed that it very much reminded me of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

Also, unless you are a hardcore super robot fan then it's probably best that you not watch the 70's Mazinger anime or it's spinoffs. It'd probably be best if you watch Mazinkaiser or, if you can, read the manga.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
:Dom

Yeah, I saw it and responded. It's too bad the whole concept went over Theron's head but hopefully they'll get someone else to look at it who has more experience with the material or at least the genre.
Then the review would've been too bias. Therefore I believe a fair warning to the audiences about the bold nature of the super robot element, the equally bold Yasuhiro Imagawa's directorial style, and the even bolder origin that's Go Nagai creative rawness should be in order.
RedLeader wrote:
:Godakame

Damned straight! NO one's more metal than Nagai! Anime hyper NO ONE. Anime hyper
More like nobody can portray madness so methodically like Go Nagai. If Alan Moore's 300 was an example of method in madness, then everything that Go Nagai had done 'till this point are the exact opposite of that to the extreme. And Nagai did it not because he was an evil and malicious person, but rather he thought it was pure fun! Well it was due his idea of "fun" that we had anime & manga master pieces like Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, Devilman, Devilman Lady and so much more. Heck, Go Nagai's 1978 Violence Jack manga makes Fist of the North Stars looked so tamed, that spoiler[Kenshiro is like a boyscout who took a walk in a post-apocalyptic park, compared to the 8 foot tall monster of a messiah that's Violence Jack(and as a wild boy, and as a female warrior who can literally whip Xena into submission), who stumped the living evil tar out of the hell-on-earth that's the Far-East Japan! Shocked ]Needless to say, I was beyond shocked by the sheer rawness that's Go Nagai's idea of "fun", that I couldn't help myself but to relish in his madness. It's the only surefire method to have fun with Go Nagai's wild works; be raw, be wild, and be mad! Twisted Evil
RedLeader wrote:
Oh, fun fact about the first episode! The opening scene with Kouji introducing himself and giving a monolouge--that's STRAIGHT out of the original manga! He was even wearing the same outfit as in the manga! And of course, the backgroud showing Mazinger's innards is an allusion to Mazinger's original closing sequence. Smile
The name "Mazinger" itself was also a double wordplay in the Japanese and English pronunciations by Go Nagai. The Japanese pronunciation of マジンガー/Mazinger sounds like "machine god" in English, while "mazin" in Japanese it sounds like 魔神, or Devil God in English translation.
FinfoxAelia wrote:
Well, I can say that this was pretty darn awesome. I loved the old-school style it was done in, and it brings back some very fond memories.

The one complaint that I do have is that it did seem more like thirty minute long preview than an actual episode. Still, I have no doubt that it'll kick the awesome up a notch in episode 2.
RedLeader wrote:
Yeah, definately like a teaser trailer... But thankfully we're only being teased until next week and not next YEAR or something like that! Anime hyper
The director of Shin Mazinger, Yasuhiro Imagawa, was the successor of the Gundam TV series in 1994, appointed by the original creator of Gundam himself, Yoshiyuki Tomino. Imagawa created the Mobile Fighter G Gundam in 1994, after Tomino threaten Bandai that nobody else other than himself gets to make the next UC Gundam TV series. And he was so displeased with the UC Gundam continuity, he sward that the next Gundam TV series will had to be so different, it's gonna be about a tag-team wrestling federation championship with Gundams! Laughing So what Imagawa did with his Gundam TV series in 1994 was a revised idea of Tomino's Gundam tag-team wrestling: spoiler[an Martial Art Olympic that features martial artists from all over the world representing their nations, each comes with their own Gundam to compete the 13th Gundam Fight Tournament. And Earth is the fighting ring!! Anime hyper ]Now that's Imagawa's directorial style in a nutshell; either go big, or go home! Wink
FinfoxAelia wrote:
Oh, it definitely will. Gurren Lagann itself draws heavily from old super robot shows. While I was watching TTGL, I definitely noticed that it very much reminded me of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

Also, unless you are a hardcore super robot fan then it's probably best that you not watch the 70's Mazinger anime or it's spinoffs. It'd probably be best if you watch Mazinkaiser or, if you can, read the manga.
If I may, TTGL was like a refined presentation by Gainax, on how and what makes super robot element fun to watch. Shin Mazinger OTOH, will be about why this super robot element is fun by going straight to its root; this is bold, this is wild, this is raw, this is big, and this is madness!

Madness... This is MAZIN POWER!! Twisted Evil
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
godakame wrote:
That was the most epic and effing metal first episode I've ever seen.

Yes.

The onslaught of madness and confusion and amazing posturing will definitely split people unfamiliar to Go Nagai's work (like myself).

Looking forward to more.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
As I did on the Spring preview thread, there's my first impressions from the RAW ep1 in my normal hangout

working to get the torrent with Spanish subs to work... Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Probably because I'm completely new to Mazinger, the first episode was just a mess of actions and sudden cuts between that moved at a breakneck speed with little coherance, but I was nevertheless drawn to the updated-retro style of it, much in the way that the Giant Robo OVA drew me in. In other words, I have no clue what I just watched, but I know I'm going to continue watching.

It's Imagawa's magic, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Probably because I'm completely new to Mazinger, the first episode was just a mess of actions and sudden cuts between that moved at a breakneck speed with little coherance, but I was nevertheless drawn to the updated-retro style of it, much in the way that the Giant Robo OVA drew me in. In other words, I have no clue what I just watched, but I know I'm going to continue watching.

It's Imagawa's magic, I think.

This is basically an episode long trailer.... you can piece some sort of order but I know Imagawa will pull it off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
RedLeader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Madness... This is MAZIN POWER!! Twisted Evil

Anime hyper Yes, indeed! That's the heart of Nagai and Imagawa's style right there! And to that I say...

MAZIN POWER, FUUUUUUUUUULL POWEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!! Anime hyper

BTW, I just saw it now in English! 10000 times more epic now! Cannot wait until the next episode! Anime hyper
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Good lordy this first episode had a lot going on, it really did feel like a "Finale" then an introduction (clearly the intent). So many characters, so many objectives, it was hard to keep track of them all. But its clearly a huge epic story, and I'm interested enough to check out the next episode to see where it goes (or rather, where it begins I guess). Loved the old school style, even if I've never heard of the franchise before.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
I love that companies are resurrecting many old titles to give them a new leash on life, with possibly a new perspective. Casshern Sins was an amazingly successful attempt at it, going with a more dark feeling similar to what they had just done with Kaiba. Super robot shows can pull off a lot more awesome attacks and moves now that budget isn't pathetic like it was in the mid 70's. Golgo 13's TV series might have been offputting to many who expected something more, but I still find every single episode manly as hell even if all he does is the same thing. It's a combination that works, too bad everyone subbing it basically gave up because I know it won't be licensed and seeing it on CR is probably unlikely. The only problem is when you either don't have a good creative staff or the brains behind the series isn't there, like what they're going to try to do with Yamato. Without Leiji, it just won't be Yamato.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Plus it introduces new audiences to shows that are indeed awesome and not just the next Shounen Jump thing (with all respect to Space Adventure Cobra which is awesome DESPITE being a Jump series)! Anime hyper

Speaking of which, I really have to track down that new OAV and the TV series when it starts!

And now for no reason at all! Some Chibi Go Nagai World! Anime hyper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PugCDtyA5yM
"Mmmmmmmmoaruze!!!" "Moaruze." Anime hyper
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Finally managed to watch it with (english) subs.... Man, this is the F'ing Nuclear bomb of awesomeness, I will declare Shin Mazinger the clear winner of the Spring season, everybody should go back home, just because I don't think anything else will match the sheer epic scope of this project! It will be interesting to see what Tsubasa Nishikiori and the Kurogane House gang (and what Boss has to do with them) participate in the series and her relationchip with the Kabuto Elders (Juzo and Kenzo), Dr. Heinrich and his daughter Lorelei and the triumphant return of Count Blocken and VizCount Pigman (to my knowledge they haven't appeared in an anime since the original series) without forgetting the classic Mazinger Z cast.

The legend of Mazinger Z for the New Millenium is here!
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
HEAR, HEAR! Very Happy

And don't forget Ankokuji! It's his first time outside the manga and I'm really interested to find out just HOW they managed to turn Gamia Q3 to the side of good! And how does Zeus figure into all this? Is he just Kouji's guardian or more? And you saw Tetsuya and Great there at the end, right? Will he and Kouji defeat the Great General themselves or only push him back until next season? Wink This is SO EXCITING!! I wish the next episode was here already! I wanna know how they're killing Juzo this time! Is it going to be a bomb like in the TV series or an earthquake like the manga? Will Kouji tear up half of Tokyo like in the manga? Anime hyper Gah, I can't wait! Anime hyper
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I just realized this was being headed by the guy who did Giant Robo. Giant Robo is one of my most favorite Animes ever, I'm definitely watching the rest of this show for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12