• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Oh, BTW, did anyone feel like Zwei was going to have a Rocky moment somewhere during the episode, and go scream on the top of a mountain somewhere? Laughing

Actually, when I was watching the episode with my friend over the weekend, during one of the "training" scenes he started whistling "Eye of the Tiger." We had a good laugh. Very Happy
Xeric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
For the first two episodes I've enjoyed watching Phantom. I try not to have any expectations for new shows; it allows me to enjoy them more, but I'm looking forward to watching this one.

I have one question about the first episode and I was hoping that somebody who understood Japanese much better than I do could give their opinion. spoiler[ towards the end of the episode, just after Ein shoots Zwei with a tranquilizer she says to him, "Anata wa watashi, watashi wa anata." would the meaning of this be closer too "you are mine, and I am yours" as the translator has determined, or would it be closer too "I am you, and you are me." as my, admittedly meager, understanding of Japanese indicates? I ask because the latter seems to fit better in context.]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Xeric wrote:

I have one question about the first episode and I was hoping that somebody who understood Japanese much better than I do could give their opinion. spoiler[ towards the end of the episode, just after Ein shoots Zwei with a tranquilizer she says to him, "Anata wa watashi, watashi wa anata." would the meaning of this be closer too "you are mine, and I am yours" as the translator has determined, or would it be closer too "I am you, and you are me." as my, admittedly meager, understanding of Japanese indicates? I ask because the latter seems to fit better in context.]

I can't pretend to know any significant amount of Japanese, but the second interpretation seems the most logical, and it certainly fits the spirit of the scene / story. It is also the one most of the other translators have chosen to go with, which is probably a good sign.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of watching this show this spring but I think I'm going to wait a little while until the other shoes finish, sounds interesting but I think it can wait.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ep 4
"Zwei, your acting... ...sucks."
Laughing

Well I was quite impressed with this episode, I mean, we see the whole ordeal go down. spoiler[Zwei and Ein scope out the area of operations, we see their planning the night before, we see the tracking and hunting of the target, the kill, and even the clean-up/escape.] It was quite perfectly paced in my opinion.

We even see how something doesn't go according to plan: spoiler[when the Don's men start tracing Ein, they have to improvise to throw them off.]

The best episode yet, and this series just earned its place as my favorite of the season Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
ep 4

The best episode yet, and this series just earned its place as my favorite of the season Wink

While I do agree that this was the best episode yet (mainly because we got some insights into Ein), it only barely makes up for the painfully contrived and flawed third episode. I was quite disappointed with that episode, and I almost gave up the series because of it. However, since FUNimation is streaming this series free on their website (with a pretty good audio and video quality, I have to say), I decided I might as well watch the fourth episode.

I'm glad I did, as it was very well done, and has restored my desire to watch this show. Hopefully episode three was just an aberration.

As for the ending song, it strongly reminds me of the style that Yuukyou Seishunka (the first Code Geass ending song) used. Not surprising since they are both done by the same group, although I believe Yuukyou Seishunka is far superior to Gates of Hell. The latter just isn't melodic enough, in my opinion. In fact, to me it sounds kind of awful.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad to know there's some appreciation for the fourth episode. I especially like how, in the context of this series, it's painfully obvious how that "sweetness" people associate with female characters in most shows really has no place. It's just an act.

All in all, while this part was one of the game's early highlights, I'd say it may have even come across as more interesting than I expected it to be. Definitely succeeded in telling the viewer a bit more about Ein and, through her eyes, Zwei. That and something else I can't do anything more than smile about for...a long time.

The third one...I can't say it made me angry or anything like that, but I did think the game handled the situation a little better, though it's still one of those things that people either accept or they don't, at least as a concept.

From a storytelling perspective, Zwei needed something to finally make him snap, in a way, after all the psychological manipulation he went through but which was mostly theoretical as opposed to practical, however unrealistic you may consider it. It was also important to show just how much of a creepy figure Scythe is supposed to be, to say nothing more.

dtm42
Quote:
As for the ending song, it strongly reminds me of the style that Yuukyou Seishunka (the first Code Geass ending song) used. Not surprising since they are both done by the same group, although I believe Yuukyou Seishunka is far superior to Gates of Hell. The latter just isn't melodic enough, in my opinion. In fact, to me it sounds kind of awful.

I'm not really a fan of their style, generally speaking, but now that you mention this...there's actually a vague resemblance, which seems to be one of the common comments people make about their music. Honestly, the ending is interesting for me mostly because of (parts of) the animated sequence involved, not the music, though it doesn't hold a candle to the opening in either sense.
Xeric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what side of the like/dislike line episode 3 falls on, it's very nearly on the line itself, but putting that aside, episode 4 was excellent.

One theme that I'm really getting into is the theme of masks, and not just the actual masks that Ein and Zwei wear when making a kill (which are cool in their own rite) but the various "masks" they wear when when interacting with the public, their "high school sweethearts" mask left me with an uneasy but excited feeling because of what I knew lay beneath them. We also got a glimpse of another of Ein's masks, her "house maid" mask just before spoiler[she kills the mafia boss on the helipad].
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I do have complaints about the video quality for FUNi's stream. It looks SD and full-screened you can easily tell it's lacking. While their subs are probably better than the fansubbing groups, I'll take the higher quality TVrip any day. And you can't tell me it's just a shoddy TV upscale when the lines look sharper fullscreened on my 1680x1050 screen versus the FUNi fullscreened on my 1280x800 screen.

I've not seen any of the other Noir or Madlax titles. And I've heard from a friend I trust that El Cazador was terrible. I never see any discussion on those titles, so I'll assume they just not that big. I'm watching this because "The world's best assassins/snipers" treads awfully close to another title I love. I doubt they could best Mr. Togo.

dtm42 wrote:

Ali Project only has one song. I liked their opening for Rozen Maiden season 1 because it oddly fits, but I loathe any other time they appear. I scramble to mash ESC once the episode ends otherwise I might hear their song starting up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
First Ending

Current Ending

Since both songs are so similar, and since both groups' names are differentiated by just a capitalisation, you can see where I am coming from.

Oh, and though I despise FUNimation for sending C&D orders to the fansub groups, anyone who claims their stream is of poor quality really fits the definition of "ungrateful". I mean come on, their stream is of fine quality in video, audio, and the subtitles (though I can't speak for the translation, since I don't know Japanese).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
First Ending

Current Ending

Since both songs are so similar, and since both groups' names are differentiated by just a capitalisation, you can see where I am coming from.

Oh, and though I despise FUNimation for sending C&D orders to the fansub groups, anyone who claims their stream is of poor quality really fits the definition of "ungrateful". I mean come on, their stream is of fine quality in video, audio, and the subtitles (though I can't speak for the translation, since I don't know Japanese).

It's the same group, and that group only has one sound. You hear one song, you've heard 'em all.

I suppose their quality is okay for you, but not for me. I'm will to sacrifice subtitle quality for visual quality because even if the grammar and syntax and localization aren't perfect, subtitles are only there to facilitate what they're saying, the rest can usually be inferred.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
First Ending

Current Ending

I don't agree about the C&D's. Honestly C&D is the least worse thing you can get. Fansubbers are lucky and are having it good, compared to the unlucky peeps who download music and are getting sued right and left by the RIAA. FUNi owns the series they paid money to obtain it, they should have every right to tell fansubbers to C&D, and again be happy they aren't bringing about litigation to everyone who ever downloads or uploads a fansub.

But I agree about the lack of greatfulness that they are actually streaming this as it airs. This is what I've come to hate about fansubbing it's created such a culture of instant gratification.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
But I agree about the lack of greatfulness that they are actually streaming this as it airs. This is what I've come to hate about fansubbing it's created such a culture of instant gratification.

And also entitlement. Honestly, many people who watch fansubs have started to believe that if it isn't in high-definition, then it isn't worth watching. That their enjoyment will somehow be lessened if they watch it on a crisp and clean standard-definition stream. I often can't even tell the difference between DVD-quality video and the typical 175mb Anime episode. And if I can, I certainly don't care. FUNimation paid big money to show Phantom, and their stream is quick (to be put out), free (even to someone like me, who lives in R4), and looks and sounds perfectly fine. Shouldn't we be grateful?
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
I have seen several posters comment that Funi's stream looks fine. I have to disagree with that. Whenever I have tried to view their video, the frequency of the pauses for buffering is unacceptable. I tried 3 times to watch the first episode of Save Me, Lollipop. The first two tries locked up my system. I was finally successful the third time. However, because of the buffering pauses, it took me an hour to watch the half-hour episode. I tried watching episode 2 last night and gave up in frustration after the third buffering pause before the OP credits had finished. I haven't tried watching their Phantom stream yet. I'd like to, but I fear it'll crash my system again or the buffering waits will be unbearable.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
^that means it hasn't finished loading yet. I had that problem too, but then I paused it and let it load up while I went to get something ready to eat, came back, and it didn't pause for buffering on me a single time after that. Kinda defeats the purpose of 'instant' streaming, but it at least looks good. Give it a few minutes to load and that problem will be no more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21