• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Needless - is it actually Needless?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the first episode. It was okay, but not great. The end credits completely turned me off, however. The crappy subs also probably contributed to the sour taste it left. It felt like it was trying to be another over-the-top machismo show like Gurren Lagann or Sengoku Basara, which always feels a little forced.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I only saw the first episode. It was okay, but not great. The end credits completely turned me off, however. The crappy subs also probably contributed to the sour taste it left. It felt like it was trying to be another over-the-top machismo show like Gurren Lagann or Sengoku Basara, which always feels a little forced.

You described exactly how I felt with the first episode, but I could never put it into words correctly: forced. Thanks. Anime smile

So far, I'm liking this better than Gurren Lagann (I'm equally far in both of them).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The Grey Ghost wrote:
This show had my friends and I yelling at the screen*. It's an insulting attempt at a shonen fighting show**. Here, have some Fist of the North Star with some Guilty Gear and Mega Man. No, that is fail***.

As the first episode faded out, we thought we could relax in that it had ended. Then the end credits happened and the venomous expletives again flew****.

*If the anime made you and your friends upset, why did you finish it?
**Insulting? So basically, you just called the whole "parody" genre an insult to anime.
***I recommend next time you watch something like this not to expect much or at least read about it before. Seriously, if you're going to call something a fail at least explain why(and yeah, your friend yelling at an innocent screen doesn't count).
****Gah. We have plenty of crappy endings out there. Just because this one wasn't of your tastes doesn't exactly mean you have to go around calling it venomous.

What's the point in talking about a series you've only seen one episode. And even taking your time and complaining about it to everyone else. Tip: You haven't seen anything, yet. This anime gets so "insulting" along the road; you and your friend would be hitting the screen just by watching it. Read the comments preceding yours and you'd understand.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
*If the anime made you and your friends upset, why did you finish it?

We only watched the first episode... We could afford 25min. I've since seen up to episode 4, just in case you all are right and I am totally wrong and crazy. It didn't get any better for me.
Quote:
**Insulting? So basically, you just called the whole "parody" genre an insult to anime.

I know I'm going to get crap for this, but I agree that satire and parody are supposed to take shots at a genre or two. But we found that the show insults the intelligence of its audience (not the genre)...because it's fairly dumb.

Moreso, I'm not convinced that it is satire. I see it trying to imitate similar, more successful shows. But no humor that backs it up. I can also see where people might easily assume it's satire, since it mimics so many shows and is so bad that it can be mistaken as a joke. Not buying that theory though. If it is satire, it's either not funny or they don't express the gag in a way that I get it. So that's where I call fail.
Quote:
****Gah. We have plenty of crappy endings out there. Just because this one wasn't of your tastes doesn't exactly mean you have to go around calling it venomous.

I'd meant that our comments toward the show were venomous. Sorry if I was fuzzy on that.
Quote:
And even taking your time and complaining about it to everyone else.

I stand by the couple sentences I posted. It's fair and just my opinion. You all are allowed to love it; I think it's crap.
Quote:
Tip: You haven't seen anything, yet. This anime gets so "insulting" along the road; you and your friend would be hitting the screen just by watching it. Read the comments preceding yours and you'd understand.

Thanks for the heads up... My buddies and I have had our fill of the show and are moving on.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that. I just hate to see people criticizing and categorizing a show after only one episode. Thanks for the better explanation and for giving the show another chance. If you ask, I began enjoying Needless at a later episode, maybe at episode 15? Well, whatever it was I'm enjoying the latest episodes more than the first 10. Besides, this is one of the very few anime capable of creating a relaxing atmosphere around me. Perhaps because I've been turning my brain off for 20 minutes each episode? Perhaps.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know I'm going to get crap for this, but I agree that satire and parody are supposed to take shots at a genre or two. But we found that the show insults the intelligence of its audience (not the genre)...because it's fairly dumb.

Well, to be fair, this is shounen we're talking about, regardless of whether it's a satire or not. The target audience for it is 12-17 year old boys. Personally, I find the entire shounen fighting genre sort of beneath my intelligence as it's so formulaic and predictable. Although, I still manage to enjoy a few despite this. If a 27 year old guy like me, or someone else who isn't in the ballpark age rage, is going to watch them it's the equivalent of going to popcorn action flicks; flipping the switch and turning the brain off is definitely the key to get any type of enjoyment out of them. Smile
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I've forced myself to watch up to episode 14 after all the hot debate and i am still not impressed. The fact is I love a satire but this is not a good satire this is a bad blatant satire that utterly fails to amuse because it strikes so unbelievably far from its genre that it dousn't really get me to identify with it.

I can't pinpoint excactly what it is about this show which causes this lack of identification with the humor. I have watched shows like Excel Saga and FLCL and enjoyed every minute of them because the jokes while blatant had a degree of subtelty to them that Needless lacks.

If this show proves one thing it is that Satire is not a free ride you can't just take the mick out of a bunch of genre stereotypes and make a funny Anime with little to no artistic input. Which is I think what the people who made this show were shooting for in all honesty.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I would still like solid evidence that it's satire. I'm convinced that it's just a crappy rip-off. Just because something is so bad that it's funny, it doesn't mean that humor was its intention.

It's like, World Heroes is a crappy fighting game rip-off of Street Fighter II. That doesn't mean that it's a parody of Street Fighter II or fighting games. It's just so bad that it's laughable.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Needless in seinen. Published in Ultra Jump

The anime has toned down the gore in many scenes (spoiler[Eve decapitating Arclight with her drill in the manga instead of stabbing his torso like in the anime]) but at the same time added gore to others ( spoiler[In the anime, Blade grabs Eve's drill to stop her attack while she's under control, which causes lots of blood to fly. In the manga, he grabs the none-drill part of her attack])
sumomolover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this seris i like the story to it and the plot and im sure there are much better ones. Anime hyper but i liked it alot over all and i really wanna know when the next ep is coming out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Mondays or Tuesdays sometime is when abouts to expect an episode.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
The Grey Ghost wrote:
I would still like solid evidence that it's satire. I'm convinced that it's just a crappy rip-off. Just because something is so bad that it's funny, it doesn't mean that humor was its intention.

It's like, World Heroes is a crappy fighting game rip-off of Street Fighter II. That doesn't mean that it's a parody of Street Fighter II or fighting games. It's just so bad that it's laughable.

I don't watch a lot of fighting series or Seinen or Shonen titles, but . . . I'd say that there is definite evidence that it is a satire. Whenever someone goes to attack, they show the attack name like 4 times while the character does some kind of cool pose and is surrounded by lightening or whatever. Also, they do the same thing when characters introduce themselves (at least up to where I am). Everything feels very overplayed which leads me to believe that it is satire. I don't think that a serious action show would exaggerate things as nearly as much as what they're doing in Needless because it would be too ridiculous and over the top (not to mention distracting) from a deeper plot and character development that they were trying to pull off. It just wouldn't really work too well.

Originally, I was pretty confused, but the more I watch, the more I understand it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kage-Proxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
I'll raise this thread from the dead then.
I am currently watching Needless at Episode 19 and I can understand why this is a love/hate show.
There is no liking it.

There are instances of pure comedic brilliance to this show at the times when you least expect it.
spoiler[Episode 19 where Saten had to take the stairs because the lift was too full. ]

This anime does not need to be taken seriously it some great fluff where they consciously pushed the limits of what is tasteful and apt and breaking what are tense moments with moments of hilarity in order to surprise the viewer.

I consider this anime to be fluff, highly enjoyable not too serious fluff.

Last edited by Kage-Proxy on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
By, this point in time I think all that is Needless to say. Wink
Khooni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
the comedy scenes are crazy!!! and that doppleganger is sooooooo heartless.she doesnt let the anime mushy
Laughing
basically, i went through with this anime for its comedy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3