• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kotoura-San (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
ep.1

i’m just stun in all ways like pull biggest curve ball ever on it really no one saw this coming in any form til we just seen it oh my why this happen?!

spoiler[
meet Haruka Kotoura who one time life for her was good til everything went to Break the Cutie in all worst ways.

because she can read minds cause she lost everything from being bullied in school to even own parents don’t want her anymore.

cause of suffer that Haruka carryover til now & then all change when she meet Manabe who bit perv & yet wow amaze at Haruka cause she save him from truck.

yet after learning bit of Haruka’s past Manabe going side with her to be her friend.]

oh my words it went to combine of Break the Cutie & The Woobie in ways we did not see this coming.

really hope this series get well in weeks to come.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
The first episode to this has the same problem that irked me with the opener to Michiko to Hatchin: overdoing things with showing the suffering of the female lead. How many times must you show off cruelty and prejudice to the lead to get me to want to care?
Because being upfront takes a surprising about of balls these days and not string the origin story as a replacement for a myth arc?

I don't mind seeing tragedy as a story element for a character since it makes for great storytelling in most instances. But dragging out back story showing the suffering of the main character doesn't have me caring for the character. It has me wondering if the makers of the series don't trust the audience to know of the suffering of said character if dragged out for a prolonged period of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
10 minutes isn't a long time.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Poor spoiler[Haruka, what awful parents.
The whole mind reading thing ruined her childhood.]

First half was depressing, but then everything changed.
spoiler[Manabe sure was a clingy friend], but also funny.
I thought this would be stupid and boring, I was wrong.
Will be watching this one!
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
From the picture I saw beforehand, I didn't anticipate that I would be reminded of Elfen Lied while watching the episode.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Liked the first episode. I was expecting a comedy so the first half really surprised me and had me on the verge of tears because it was so sad. I was definitely not expecting that.

Really looking forward to seeing more.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Was I supposed to be expecting ecchi? I just saw the word "psychic" mixed with something about a bad childhood, so I took the plunge. When her "talent" came up, I thought, spoiler["Oh, another show to play on Japanese fears of having their honne/tatemae dichotomy shredded."]

I see DeskyPredator's point about Kotoura needing an idiot. Still, I would put in a romantic rival later in the series; an intelligent-but-eccentric male who thinks others' contempt for his real thoughts is foolish, so like Manabe he's honest but for very different reasons. Somehow Kotoura inspires some earnestness in him and softens his prickishness, and it drives him nuts, and grudgingly in love.

Dag, if they don't put this guy in there, I just might have a fanfic.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
having read Zac's review a couple days before finally being able to watch the show, i knew what was going to happen, but it was still depressing. I like Manabe and i hope Haruka leans to shut up.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Having read the review and subsequent comments, I simply clicked on the 9 minute mark and avoided all but the last 30 seconds of the depressing stuff. Since people had gone on and on about the content of that period I didn't feel I was missing anything by skipping it. If I had hit the show cold, I would not have lasted 9 minutes of sadness. The rest of the show was fun.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't see why everyone is going on about that first part of ep 1. It's real man. That's what would happen where someone to actually have the power to read minds without being able to control it. IT would sound like people are talking to you.

I personally think that was one of the best first eps I've seen in a long time. And hopefully the series lives up to it.

So far ep 2 didn't disappoint me. I'm absolutely loving this series and it's very realistic and mature take on the tired theme of girls with powers.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

So we are introduced to the other 2 main characters and they are members of the ESP club. The president, Mifune, really wants to show the world that special powers exist because her mother was shunned for having one despite the mom actually helping the police solve crimes. spoiler[It was sad that the mother had to commit suicide because she couldn't deal with life anymore. ] I was expecting the short guy to be another pervert or wuss based on other short guys in other anime, but he turned out to be a surprisingly normal and reliable person.

Poor Kotoura still had to deal with bullying in the 2nd episode. I was really hoping that Moritani spoiler[ would not partake in the bullying, but her jealousy got the better of her and her 2 friends pretty much peer pressured her into doing it. But she is a main character, so one can assume that they will make up later, as I doubt they keep her as a bully for 12 episodes.] I was happy when Manabe said he spoiler[liked Kotoura in front of Moritani who is crushing on him. What better way to get back at Moritani then to hear the guy you like is actually in love with the person you bullied, even though it was unintentional as Manabe has no idea Moritani likes him.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[
well another day as usual til kotoura & manabe meet mifune who want them join esp club with make sure no escape from it also meet small vice pres.

give cause mifune got her reasons for it due to past cause her mom was a celebrity psychic person til people call her a fake with lead to her mom "buy the wagon for self" which cause mifune rough past.

yet there also hiyori who family run a dojo & in past like manabe til since kotoura arrive well bit hmm on it.

so esp club trying fortune tell seem fine til hiyori come in to pick on kotoura with being full HEEL saying on mind even call kotoura a monster to make her puke.

with cause kotoura get bullied again til manabe to rescue while telling hiyori stop bulling kotoura & mifune being sorry for kotoura for it.]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
This show has remarkably good at dramatizing the serious moments. I think the music played a critical role in doing that. I sure hope they can keep this up. I don't mean having these kinds of moments in every episode, but just keeping the general feel and pace consistent.
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
I hope they DO make this show an emotional roller coaster ride every episode! While not quite as heart wrenching as the first episode there were still moments both of brilliant highs and very deep lows in episode two. A definite import for me after just one episode and number two confirmed it. Surprise fave!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:
It took me awhile to recognize it, since it has been a long time since I've seen it, but this is moe! Classic moe, circa 2006, the pure and beautiful stuff, not the moeblob that it has since corrupted to. Moe, it the beginning, was about protection, a girl so cute and fragile it made you burn with the desire to protect her, to save her from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, that sort of thing.

Now, I have studied moe, and I can see the manipulative elements there, the hooks set to drive a man to these feelings, these emotions, and yet, I can't help it. I've fallen for Kotoura, fallen like a ton of bricks, and there is no salvation. The moe has me in it's grasp, and Light help me, I'm loving every minute of it. “La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!"

---

Storywise, again, it is simple but effective. I am starting to worry about running out of material, as two large conflicts have been mostly resolved by now. I can see enough material for 5 or so more episodes, so there will need to be some more surprises if they want to maintain this level of quality throughout the series. And the level is pretty good. Moe shows almost never reach above a B+ grade, and that is where I see Kotoura-san's topping out at, if it lives up to it's potential. I'll have to wait and see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14