• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noitamina Garners Timeslot's Lowest Rating to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Fractale, and I really like Princess Jellyfish as well. Noitamina is kind of like the indie animation timeslot for Japan, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't getting good ratings... I think the best thing they ever had was Eden of the East, but they seem to have screwed the pooch by not giving that a decent end.
Mappy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Nodame was not originally broadcasted on Noitamina. I think it was under Anime no Kakera (correct me if I'm mistaken).

Um, no, it was always broadcast on noitaminA. If you're thinking of Anime no Chikara, that was last year, made up of Sora no Woto, Senkou no Night Raid and Occult Gakuin. And then it stopped.
Leg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Nodame was not originally broadcasted on Noitamina. I think it was under Anime no Kakera (correct me if I'm mistaken).

Incorrect. Nodame was originally aired on Noitamina. Also, it's Anime no Chikara, not Kakera, which has only done 3 projects so far: Sora no Woto, Occult Academy and Senkou no Night Raid.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
As for shows that "carried over," really only Index 2 and Tegami Bachi Reverse are good. Star Driver has kinda hit the road block. Bakuman is average. Everything else is satisfactory or below.

Oh, wow. You actually call Index 2 and Letter Bee good, while the former was quite bad until recently, and the latter has been subpar and sluggish since episode 1 season 1. Of course, I can agree with the consensus that they're technically good shows, but definitely not superior to Star Driver and Bakuman.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
And i'm still waiting for a R1 release of Moyashimon Live-Action.....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it rating or share? There's a difference. Confused

(Obviously a lot of TVs are turned off near the tsunami.)
warlesha21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
I absolutely love Fractale, and I really like Princess Jellyfish as well. Noitamina is kind of like the indie animation timeslot for Japan, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't getting good ratings... I think the best thing they ever had was Eden of the East, but they seem to have screwed the pooch by not giving that a decent end.

This sums up my feelings exactly. I am still a little but confused as to why Princess Jellyfish went down so far in peoples opinion on just one episode alone. It was a solid series throughout and one that I have rewatched twice already. Fractale packs so much into these last few episodes that I find I have to rewatch parts.

Nothing this season or last has made me want to do that. Instead, I have pretty much dropped everything this season except for Letter Bee Reverse and Star Driver which were carry overs. Might pick up Hourou Musuko though.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Antique Bakery: bad and too genre specific

Seriously? Can you define the genre, please? Because if you're going to call it BL, I'm going to call BS. And also homophobia. :/ When the author actually writes her own doujin for a series, just so she can prevent her work from being pigeonholed... seriously, Antique Bakery has one gay character and not a single sex scene (in the anime, if I recall correctly). Maybe you were insinuating that the baking comedy genre was oversaturated? Because I guess it DID come out not so far from Yakitate!! Japan...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that Noitamina's ratings keep going down. In my opinion, that block was responsible for 4 of the best shows of 2010 (House of the Five Leaves, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki and Princess Jellyfish). I haven't seen Wandering Son, but Fractale is one of my favorite shows of the current season. I guess its failure means Yamakan really is going to retire from the anime industry. Sad

Some people are saying Noitamina has been getting too offbeat lately, but Ayakashi was actually one of their first series, and it had even better ratings than Honey & Clover. I guess an adaptation of Chica Umino's current series, March Comes Like a Lion, would be a good way to bring former viewers back to the timeslot.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Fractile reminds me a lot of Eureka 7, likely because of the look. But it has been paced like a 26 episode series as if they really didn't have enough story for even 11 episodes. Although it's got a lot of big names behind it so one has to expect a certain level of quality, but considering that fact it falls short of what it should be.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Blaming the earthquake would be wrong and convenient, when most series are getting their best ratings in a while this week...

Quote:
And also homophobia. :/

So saying a BL series is too "genre specific" is homophobia now? ...wow...i'm speechless.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Blaming the earthquake would be wrong and convenient, when most series are getting their best ratings in a while this week...

Quote:

So saying a BL series is too "genre specific" is homophobia now? ...wow...i'm speechless.

Saying an anime with a single gay character and the entire casts's occasional romantic encounters is BL is homophobic. Good comparison given by my friend who I'm being loudly annoyed at, but who doesn't have an account here: "What? That's like calling 'Scott Pilgrim' BL."
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the guy who made Fractale say if it failed, he would quit the industry?
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

Quote:

Antique isn't a BL series. Hell, practically nothing happens involving anything bl related until the doujinshi. Confused

And aside the questionable animation choices that were used it's still one of the better Noitama adaptations and an extremely well-received series, animated live-action or other.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So...what is this? Is this just a Fractale/Wandering Son thing or is this a general noitaminA problem? I haven't seen either yet so I'm not sure. Last I heard, noitaminA was doing great. Have their ratings began to slide more recently?

Pippin4242 wrote:
Saying an anime with a single gay character and the entire casts's occasional romantic encounters is BL is homophobic.

You know, nobody actually said that. What was said is that it was too 'genre specific'. From that, you immediately assumed that he mean BL and flipped the hell out. Of course, maybe that is what he meant. I don't know. In any case though, this all speaks more to your own persecution complex than any homophobia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5