• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The End of Evangelion (spoilers).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I actually agree with you, it's just the toll it took on me is extreme- as a conclusion to what starts out as kids piloting robots to destroy big alien baddies it feels a far more ultimate and disturbing ending than I wanted to be subjected to. That's the hideous beauty of it all; I for one believe that the way the viewer is forcibly subjected to the Instrumentality Project unfolding is perhaps a subtle criticism of apocalyptic theology. spoiler[Mankind suddenly returning to it's creator] was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen on screen, and yet in the Evangelion world it was what some were actually striving to achieve.

Really great insight, but I think it should be noted that a spoiler[unification apocalypse, such as the one shown in EoE, is closer to Eastern religion than western. I think that, more likely, Shinji's rejection of the merged state is a criticism of Buddhist Nirvana rather than Christian Heaven.] It is a hideous, disturbing, and unnerving scene. The glut of sexual imagery throughout also lends an unsettling tone. Note spoiler[the masturbation of the Eva series units (impaling themselves on the lances), the sequence inside Shinji's mind, and the numerous female genitalia that appear on the merged Rei-Lillith's body. (Although the latter also is used to represent a return to the womb.)]

However, while End of Eva's gore and sexual images may seem extreme, I wouldn't say that the show was ever "Happy Happy Fun Time With Shinji and Friends", as the first two episodes contain some pretty dark material. spoiler[The sexual imagery is not altogether unprecedented, either, as the Evangelion's eye that appears in the second episode comes out of a vulva-shaped oriface.]
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's the hideous beauty of it all; I for one believe that the way the viewer is forcibly subjected to the Instrumentality Project unfolding is perhaps a subtle criticism of apocalyptic theology

Yes! I was mesmorised when i first saw it and i understand what you mean about it being too much to watch. Its quite a fearful idea, and the theroy behind it reminds me alot of the theroy behind people wanting to commit suicide which is why the idea is all the more disturbing. This is why evangelion is unique regardless of wether or not you like it as i wont ever forget watching it in a hurry and it has left some permanent effect on me from watching it. The music in my opinion makes those scenes as good as they are; spoiler[( turn back time) coming on as shinji is seen to strangle Asuka is just...well i dont know what to call it but its powerful]. Watching it is like an uphill struggle; it exhausts you mentally as a viewer which is a very rare (and i think), a good quality.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Oh no, a discussion about the ending? I'll weigh in my two cents.

I personally like episodes 25 & 26, but then I like things that are different. I also really like End of Evangelion spoiler[I mean, plenty of movies talk about the end of the world, but how many actually deliver with anything other than the whole planet exploding or humanity dying from pollution? The scenes of human souls floating skyward with the upbeat song in the backgound over a blood red world? Unsettling certainly.]

I think that most of the points I would talk about have already been covered so I'll just add: They were definitely correct to use the powerful religious symbols throughout the series, and Anno and Gainax were right to insist on the use of "Angels" as the American term. It got a lot more interest early on because of that I think. As much as people say the US is not founded on Christianity, the fact remains that it does have a Judeo-Christian background, and bringing those symbols and terms into that culture sets off a spark of interest.

Oh, spoiler[Someone mentioned something about Shinji and Asuka being sort of an Adam and Eve image at the end. I would say entirely likely since, as I was thinking not too long ago about the title's connection to the series, the title translates to "New Beginning Gospel" and so them being a new start for humanity would make sense. It is interesting though that, if Shinji was behind deciding humanities fate whence they were all joined, and he chose Asuka to be with him, that his first action would then be to try and strangle her. Interesting commentary on how a person can think and wish something and view it as a good and great idea, but when faced with that reality they may suddenly and irrationally react against it.] Though I guess saying something in Evangelion is interesting is like saying that something in Dragonball Z is drawn out and overdone Wink

Man, and here I was just going to throw in 2 cents. See what bringing up Eva does? 2 cents turns to 2 dollars and pretty soon you don't have enough money for gas anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2