• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Free! is definitely not my favorite of the season but I am so happy it is doing well so I can laugh at all the sexist morons who claimed it would fail because women don't buy anime. :D

I'm purchasing Free! because of the two lovely ladies, and the beautifully animated water... The only other one on the list for me is Hataraku Maou.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

People just seem to believe that all trends start and end with Kyoani. As usual their place in the industry is way overestimated by people that are desperate to make idols out of them. At best as someone else pointed out Kyoani has all but perfected the art of timing and pandering along with SHAFT, timing things for low volume and low competition seasons to take advantage of a lack of competition and emerging trends in order to churn out sales hit after sales hit, but IMO at the cost of shows that are anything approaching particularly special or cutting edge. The only Kyoani show I'd even begin to attach such a distinction to would be Haruhi while everything else just feels like following the market and having absolutely no ambition of their own.

Shaft turning out hit after hit? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just look At Sasami-san, it defied all expectations with its ridiculously high sales. Or just look at the large amount of shaft-series that managed to sell over 10k!

Sunrise & Kyoani are nothing to compared to Shaft when it comes to making hits.

I kind of forgot SHAFT makes stuff besides the Monogatari series and Madoka. Confused
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Free! is definitely not my favorite of the season but I am so happy it is doing well so I can laugh at all the sexist morons who claimed it would fail because women don't buy anime. Very Happy

It's not sexist if it's true Confused 15K is nice and all but it's not like it sold Madoka or Bake levels. We've yet to see a fujoshi show sell that much so it's pretty true to say women don't buy anime... as much as men. You probably really shouldn't try to start drama especially when you're wrong about something.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

It's not sexist if it's true Confused 15K is nice and all but it's not like it sold Madoka or Bake levels. We've yet to see a fujoshi show sell that much so it's pretty true to say women don't buy anime... as much as men. You probably really shouldn't try to start drama especially when you're wrong about something.

Yeah, because as we all know, every average otaku show sells like Bake and Madoka. Also, only men bought those shows.

Except that nothing [expletive] sells like Bake, so stop bringing it up like it's some actual standard to measure a success in sales.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Why can we only compare Free to 'average otaku shows' when people here are not treating Free like an 'average fujoshi show'? That doesn't seem like a very fair comparison Confused I'm just tired of all this girl power mob mentality some female fans insist on beating their chest to every chance they get.. and then try to shut down any discussion of it like you're trying to do when they get asked to clarify or explain and get presented with opposing evidence on how the market isn't really equal. Women don't buy anime like men do. I can accept it why can't you?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Because saying women don't buy anime since women anime doesn't sell like Bake is like saying Twilight isn't a hit because it doesn't sell like Avatar (Disclaimer, I like neither).

The reason there's a combative female power mentality is because people in this forum and all over the internet have tried to make it a point to prove that there's no need to target the female audience because "women should be happy with what they already have" and that KyoAni made a big mistake in "betraying" its male otaku audience, which will cause them and die and burn in otaku hell and their stupid attempt at opening new markets will bomb because women don't buy anime.

Guess what, Free is selling better than KyoAni's latest otaku shows: Tamako (3K), Hyouka (8K) and even Chuu2Koi (12K), but zealous otaku would insist "it isn't a great deal, it's not selling like Bake" as if everything [expletive] sold like Bake (hint: nothing does). So yeah, forgive me for getting defensive at every stupid "It's not selling like Bake so women still don't buy anime" imbecility that comes along
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
The thing I'm wondering is if anyone in this thread is contributing to these sales numbers...

EDIT: I see Ingraman.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Why can we only compare Free to 'average otaku shows' when people here are not treating Free like an 'average fujoshi show'?

You're right. Free is hardly an average fujoshi show. It did 25K in total sales, better than a lot of high-selling otaku shows and better than anything KyoAni has done since K-On. (And before you protest, no, it didn't do K-On numbers. Most otaku shows don't do K-On numbers either.)

Not that this should be a big surprise, since Uta no Prince-sama's first volume did 65K--which should have shut a lot of people up about the buying power of women, but didn't for some strange reason. Probably for similar reasons as you didn't seem to understand you were 10K off of Free's actual tally. It doesn't suit the narrative in your head.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Free! is definitely not my favorite of the season but I am so happy it is doing well so I can laugh at all the sexist morons who claimed it would fail because women don't buy anime. Very Happy

Clearly you know nothing about sales. 15,000 is not considered average it is considered a hit. Not to mention it also from what I understand sold about 10,000 DVDs putting it at 25,000.

Very few shows sell at Madoka & Bake levels. A couple massive hits doesn't prove that men buy more than women. Nor is Madoka & Bake a benchmark to compare all shows to, to say if it doesn't sell this much it isn't a hit.

And no I didn't buy it because it is not in my budget to import Japanese media. I will buy it when it is licensed over here.

But then I also remember people claiming Free! Was a Western thing and the fans in Japan weren't interested, again this was obviously proved wrong.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

Which is why every season we are getting more,more and more shows strictly aimed at women.You see anime producers like to throw their money in abyss,by constantly trying to pander to women that will never buy their anime.Of course anime producers throwing money is this famous Japanese ritual,that you know about because you have a cousin that lives there.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

15k is actually a fairly large hit. You're also not counting the DVD sales which were another 10k making Free! for its first week sell 25k copies.
That's a pretty large hit. And, yeah, of course women don't buy anime. I'm sure the people who bought all 25k copies of Free! were actually men.
You really shouldn't start drama when you're wrong about something.

Also, nothing reaches Bake levels. Even Attack on Titan (Popular with men AND WOMEN) didn't reach Bake's sales.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
Isn't Utapri's 65K Bake-level!? and that's a female-oriented.. Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
It feels almost ironic with the fact in order to appeal more to the female audience, ya gotta have more (preferably pretty) male protagonists though the intent is different. With KyoAni having a very good sense that there are female otaku out there willing to buy, I wonder if they'll ever consider doing a work that's more shoujo or josei flavored. Are there any of their light novels from their "Honorable Mentioned" pile that fulfills that? (I'd imagine ultimatemegax is the only one that can answer that Anime hyper )
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

It actually sold 25k copies, still far away from the V1's of the big hits though.

mistress_kisara wrote:
Isn't Utapri's 65K Bake-level!? and that's a female-oriented.. Smile

Event ticket boosted V1's sales by a lot(30-40k+) , the average will be nowhere near close to Monogatari. Bakemonogatari sold 78k on average, after-all.

p.s
I don't consider Free! or uta-pri to be fujoshi shows(like some people here seem to think). Not all female Otaku are fujoshi. Iit makes as much sense as saying K-on! is aimed at the yuri fanboys.
Uta-pri is aimed at otome fans, and free is aimed at female Otaku. Although I'm not sure, since Free! also has a lot of male fans.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if they'll ever consider doing a work that's more shoujo or josei flavored. Are there any of their light novels from their "Honorable Mentioned" pile that fulfills that? (I'd imagine ultimatemegax is the only one that can answer that Anime hyper )
That's very tough to answer. All we get publicly are critisms of the work that may/may not reveal anything about the story itself. For example, here's what we got for High Speed!, which Free! is a sequel to:
Quote:
Brimming with vibrancy and translucence, it felt fresh as I finished reading.
The story depicted each of the main characters' emotions and struggles well.
Considering the setting is a swimming race, you're able to feel the obsession with "water" the author had.
I'm concerned that the characters' ages and personalities don't match.
Though the story was told in first-person narrative, the point-of-view switched characters often, so at times it left me troubled.

I'll check again when I have some free time later (after Free! of course).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4