• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Serial Experiments Lain (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mephisto2k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
I like serial experiments lain for its own way and uniqueness. There are definetely various ways to nterpret its rather bizzare story. Many fan web sites are only dedicated to interpreting this series. In addition its has good music and an amazing atmosphere; maybe thats why it has alarge fandom dispite its rather "bizzare" story.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
Used the discussions thread link.

I have to say, this series was confusing, from beginning to end. You couldn't quite grasp the story, and then when you thought you knew what was going on they developed something entirely new. You wonder why is this happening to this character, and how did they find out this and that. I think though that it was an interesting concept to have, what is the difference between the real world and the virtual world. How far are you willing to go before you are consumed. When I told my friend that I was starting this series, he said, "I'm sorry."
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Lain, but never felt any need or desire to rewatch it.
Darknight55

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
I was kind of obsessed with Lain for a while there... I watched the series upwards of 20 times over.... i just got so engrossed in all of the aspects of the series that I could literally hear the power lines humming long into the night after I had turned my t.v. off... Shocked

The story, while definitely up to interpretation isn't that difficult to understand after repeated viewings and reading of various fan interpretations... which aren't necessarily right per se but do tie things up neatly...
This is one of the most concise sites:

[url] http://www.cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm[/url]

In short, I loved the series and it was my favorite for a while but slipped when I watched Haibane Renmei, Kino no Tabi, Kare Kano, and a few others...
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Unlike the case with many people, Lain captivated me by the very first episode that I found intriguing rather than boring, I mean how did Lain receive an email from someone who was supposed to be dead?

I must admit that I didn't "get" Lain during the first time and many things escaped my comprehension like spoiler[Lain developing multiple personalities and was hallucinating during the second episode because she was using that drug and why some people didn't have a recollection of doing stuff in the wired,] but that was because I didn't realize at that time that each scene had a significance and each scene and dialogue was actually contributing to the whole picture and so I understood it better during the second time.

This is my favorite series that Abe Yoshitoshi worked on. Highly recommended but I warn you beforehand that it's going to exhaust your brain more than Eva would do and it requires multiple viewing to understand it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain I liked it from beginning and I liked slow peace of this story. Firstly it was pretty confusing but when I re-watched it I started notice things like that spoiler[her father may be god because he remembered her even when she had removed memories about herself]

Serial Experiments Lain is still my favorite series that I can watch again and again
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get into it. After four or so episodes, I quit. It seemed like so much camera time was spent focused on telephone poles. I was saying "Wires, right, I get it already." I like ABe's style, but I just didn't like Lain. I liked Haibane Renmei, though.
mathious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Personally I really have enjoyed lain but it isn't exactly what I expected. I actually just received it in the mail about a week ago and I haven't quite finished it yet. For me spoiler[the first volume or two was just explaining things about the the wired and the knights. ]In my opinion it was difficult to understand at first and if I had seen the series brodcasted on tv I might have given up but I didn't see it brodcasted so I started with the volumes. I will always finish a series that I have started to own and I'm glad that I own that series because now I personally like it.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Every time I watch Lain I think "Oh my God, this is so boring", but once I finish it I think it's awesome and want to watch it again. You really do have to go through it more than once to get all that's going on; I think I finally understood what happened at the end after my fourth rewatch. It's not an action, 'entertainment' anime at all, so don't watch it if you want something you can just turn on and zone out in front of; in fact, I can't watch Lain at night or on rainy days because the psychology aspects start getting to me and freaking me out. Still, it's very interesting to watch and then think about, and then write papers on for midterms <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zewerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really enjoy it. I could barely stay awake watching it. What really did it for me was I think was the background noise. The constant sounds of powerlines making that nagging buzzing noise. All that just made my eyes heavier and heavier. I understood the storyline. I personally didn't find it that interesting, but I can see how others would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
I picked up Lain a couple years ago, and it's not a decision I regret. It's been months since I've last watched it, but it's a complex and well-crafted story that seems to show something new whenenver I watch it and give it serious thought. I like anime that force me to think. (b^^)b
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
There were two episodes in there that I felt were unnecessary to the whole plot. episode 9 and episode 11. Why? spoiler[Half of edisode 9 they were explaining stuff about researchers and what they found, which to me made no sense of how it had anything to do with the continuing story. Episode 11, the whole first half of the episode was just flashbacks of previous episodes, with no explaining, just a guitar playing, and a terrible sounding one at that.]
rocklobster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this series 3 times, and there's still stuff I don't understand. But I still love it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Darknight55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There were two episodes in there that I felt were unnecessary to the whole plot. episode 9 and episode 11. Why? spoiler[ Half of edisode 9 they were explaining stuff about researchers and what they found, which to me made no sense of how it had anything to do with the continuing story. Episode 11, the whole first half of the episode was just flashbacks of previous episodes, with no explaining, just a guitar playing, and a terrible sounding one at that.] ]

spoiler[ I'm not sure why they did it but Lain was trying to load the Navi into her own brain and was subject to a stream of consciousness flow of her memory mixed in with the collective memory of others (i.e. Lain being in places she was not in earlier episodes... I'm pretty sure she wasn't on that roof with the guy who talked about PKers), but 9 was definitely necessary. They needed to explain how Eri got to the point he did and all the other work was the research he built upon in order to create the 7th gen protocol. And the whole "date" with Taro was important to advancing the plot because Lain found out that Taro was a helper to the knights....]
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
i was drawn to the series because i enjoy psychological anime.

since i am a big computer geek and enjoy philosophical shows, this series couldnt lose with me-- had me won over immediately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5