• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ping Pong (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I loved episode 2. Simply put I found it exciting, funny and for such an uninvolved character Smile is fascinating to watch. So far the show is my early favorite of the season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I think spoiler[Smile let China take that round. At first, I didn't think Smile did well but once he started humming, it was a different story. Again, I love the imagery and similes spoken during his dialogues. It really has meanings to it when he thinks about them in his head. Then, there's the OST and the ping pong match itself]. Great episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Another great episode. I think it can be tough being too soft or nice in competitive sports. You are liable to let an opponent back into a match. It reminds me of a sports documentary I saw on Martina Navratilova. She used to have a similar problem against Chris Evert, who was mentally a very tough opponent, and Navratilova's coach had to teach her to be tougher and almost hate her opponent in order to bring out the fire necessary to finish strongly.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
That was a fine episode.I still had issues with it though.The animation was really sad to watch,I fell bad for all the animators working on such a tight schedule.There was one moment in match ,when you couldn't tell who was beating who,not even directing could compromise for the animation.I think some of my previous issues are showing themselves now in full for.Smile's spoiler[restoration would have felt more natural,if they they hadn't made Smile's match with teacher so blown out of proportions.]
There were of course moments of brilliance.Like the scene where spoiler[sounds of ping pong transform into a complex song and the face off was really exciting.And this is only third episode!]
EDIT:Oh yeah I forgot to mention the opening.HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AMAZING TO WATCH!God bless you Shinya Ohira,you made my eyes have orgasm.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure what it is, but when I watch this show, I feel as if I watching something important. At least that is how it comes across to me. It is hard to nail down.

Loving it so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Great episode again. spoiler[I'm surprised by somewhat of the results such as China and Smile. Well, China fought a monster though so...
The dragon symbolism was done brilliantly.]

It was also nice imo to see a little more of his character during his brief talk later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:I consider this to be the best episode so far.Like I have mentioned before the show likes to expand and clarify manga's characters and this time it fully worked. spoiler[They have revealed Kong's backstory,which made his character sympathetic and the coach's motivational talk even more important. The theme of the show is now expressed better due to these expansions.]That daughter character wasn't in manga,so I am curious what they will do with her.
The art in this episode suffered a lot and there was a lot of recycled animation used.However,unlike in previous episode it didn't hurt the climactic scenes.The matches were as exciting as ever.[/spoiler]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
For episode 4 can someone explain to me why China man and Dragon's match didn't get a 3rd set? Smile's and China man's match was a best out of 5, why was this one only best out of 3?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
For episode 4 can someone explain to me why China man and Dragon's match didn't get a 3rd set? Smile's and China man's match was a best out of 5, why was this one only best out of 3?

If I recall ping-pong is like men's tennis best 3 out of 5. On screen they are showing you the current score for current match (ended at 11-4) and how many games already won (2-0). So its understood that the score (11-4) was for the current third game. I think it was confusing because they didn't stretch it out and show the passage of time.

Great exciting episode. I hope Funi gets enough streaming numbers for this show.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Really enjoying this, especially since it doesn't seem so much about "becoming the best at table tennis" as about growing up and finding one's place in life. Looking forward to which paths Smile, Peco, Wenge and the other guys are eventually going to choose.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't have time to writing anything substantial about latest episode,but I will just that the show has now gone to the point that I consider it to be a masterpiece.This adaptation expanded the story ,themes and characterization of the original work in such a way that now everything appearing on screen has more weight and it is more intelligent and more emotional that the source material .The credit goes directly to Yuasa Masaaki,who will most likely storyboard every single episode by himself. I don't think anyone in history of animation had done something similar to that feat.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Great episode in general. We get to see more of spoiler[China and what his personal life is like. On the other hand is Peco and I hope he truly masters the art of Ping Pong. Like some of the other said, it is a complex sport.]

The spoiler[singing] in the latest episode was awesome too. So much character development, it's astonishing for just a one cour show.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Funny how two of the shows I consider the best out of this season, Ping Pong and Knights of Sidonia, I didn't give a chance at first because of the animation.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Another awesome episode, this is definitely the surprise of the season for me and - along with Mushishi - the show i am looking forward to the most every week
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Another excellent episode from this show,not as good as the last one though.It tells you so much about the show when an episode that is essentially just a build up ,keeps you glued to the screen.I can not praise enough the changes made by Yuasa for this show ,especially the changes made to Kazama.The manga never gave us explanation why he acts the way he acts.And here not only does Yuasa provide an answer to this question,he further exploits it and ties it into entire thematic structure.We now understand that he is trying to spoiler[profit off his talent even if he doesn't like what he is doing,due to his experience with father who tried to follow his dream and failed.His situation wasn't presented like this in manga so I am curious to see what answer will the show give.I am certainly not expecting that answer will come in form of typical shonen one-liner(we have already seen what has happened to Sakuma), but as we can see merely profiting of his own talent for the sake of others creates too much pressure on him.]His biggest problem I would say is not experiencing defeat.Like Sakuma and Peco who through defeat got a good perspective on what was truly important to them,maybe Kazama will realize where his true happiness lies after his defeat.
I have mixed feelings on the whole Joe Butterfly revelation.We finally understand Koizmui's attachment to smile.Like Kazama he lacks a certain perspective.But unlike Kazama his perspective can only be gained through a victory.He doesn't just see himself in Smile,but Smile also acts as an agent for achieving that perspective.Maybe through Smile he will be able to reevaluate his life.I am not too sold on spoiler[the fact that his rival is a principal of Kaio academy and also uncle to Kazama.]It gives narrative more weight but at the same time these are Telenovela level coincidences.
On technical side of things this episode was decent.I especially like the first shot off Peco climbing up the stairs.To me it reeked of Yuasa,it was one of those wide shots he specializes in.This time it had lower angle to give impression of Sisyphean task he is going through.The animation didn't have any moments that stood out,but the art was consistent and nothing ever truly felt cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5