• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Owarimonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I've finally got time to catch up on this series and I'm not disappointed by what I've seen. This set of books is one of my favourites in the series and the visuals bring out the maximum effect for what is essentially a lot of conversations and the author's commentary/criticism about certain aspects of human nature.

For those not familiar with what is to come ahead, there is one more mystery that has not yet been solved to date: namely how Oikura found out about Araragi's parents' occupations and why she took her peculiar approach to asking for help. It should be made clear next week, but it's another chance to see Araragi get absolutely smashed in his psyche and character portrait.

The way Ougi is portrayed as some kind of ouroboros snake/black hole is fitting, since she's always been mysterious from her previous cameo appearances in the earlier series. Viewers might want to consider why she has such a hold over Araragi and the role she plays in the Sodachi stories. Having Mizuhashi Kaori as the voice is an added plus for me, not someone I've heard for a while and the role is well-played.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Tsubasa was the star of episode, mainly because she seems fairly in the know. She can plainly see that the existence of Ougi makes no sense, all the in series characterisation problems that blur the line of Koyomi's relationship with her. And really Ougi was in full swing of mocking him while she did it, calling him a fool as she did, and saying things that should raise red flags. But only Tsubasa seems to be able to see it, the beginning of the episode was illustrating the growing frustration she was feeling from unable to have the conversation with him.

There was even a moment when Ougi seemed to realise that Tsubasa was really putting up a fight and she attacked her weak points too. But she managed to fight back do something enough to make Koyomi know something was up. Actually, at the very beginning of the episode there was an even larger show of how much he is her clutches with seeing Ougi black out words until Koyomi could only describe her by her name, as of she censored other information.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
If I was to have one gripe, and it really is only one considering how good this show is, Araragi is just too useless.

The females of this show have always been better written and easier to route for but Araragi is nearly always the star and in Bake he was the 'hero'. Has the series as gone on it has broken him down really into a, still likeable, but over reliant sap.

My concern is that, despite all these stories being told out of order, I see little redemption for the guy unless this arc changes the way he acts (though we seem to be in the rough middle of the timeline meaning he does not learn anything).

It is an odd complaint to have but the show feels so more energetic when he is not the focus that when he returns to be the prominent lead again I will be completly uninterested in his antics.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
If I was to have one gripe, and it really is only one considering how good this show is, Araragi is just too useless.

The females of this show have always been better written and easier to route for but Araragi is nearly always the star and in Bake he was the 'hero'. Has the series as gone on it has broken him down really into a, still likeable, but over reliant sap.

My concern is that, despite all these stories being told out of order, I see little redemption for the guy unless this arc changes the way he acts (though we seem to be in the rough middle of the timeline meaning he does not learn anything).

It is an odd complaint to have but the show feels so more energetic when he is not the focus that when he returns to be the prominent lead again I will be completly uninterested in his antics.

In case anyone is interested, the events being narrated here appear after the events involving Tsubasa's Tiger but before the events leading to Nadeko's transformation into a Medusa. All of the encounters involving Ougi pre-date EVERYTHING that viewers have seen before involving Ougi and the protagonist plus his friends.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
In case anyone is interested, the events being narrated here appear after the events involving Tsubasa's Tiger but before the events leading to Nadeko's transformation into a Medusa. All of the encounters involving Ougi pre-date EVERYTHING that viewers have seen before involving Ougi and the protagonist plus his friends.

Does this mean that uncle Oshino is in town during the events of this story? At what point does Araragi meet him?

Each episode I am more of an Ougi fan that I was before.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Does this mean that uncle Oshino is in town during the events of this story? At what point does Araragi meet him?

You mean Meme? He's been gone since Bakemonogatari, and Hanekawa goes looking for him after Otori all the way through Koi, so no, he's not around.

Araragi meets him during Kizumonogatari. So, next year we should get their meeting scene, though it's also in the first episode of Bakemonogatari.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

You mean Meme? He's been gone since Bakemonogatari, and Hanekawa goes looking for him after Otori all the way through Koi, so no, he's not around.

Araragi meets him during Kizumonogatari. So, next year we should get their meeting scene, though it's also in the first episode of Bakemonogatari.

It might well be the great irony that the book which started it all chronologically might well be the last one to see an animated adaptation (assuming Shaft don't do the off-season books starting from Zoku Owarimonogatari onwards).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Now I am even more confused.

At this point Araragi seems to know who Ougi's uncle is -- that's the way she was introduced. As his niece. Did Araragi know who Meme was before meeting him?

Does this mean also that at this point Araragi has not yet been attacked by Shinobu? That makes no sense since it was just mentioned that he was lovers with Senjōgahara and that definitely was after he became part vampire She adorably stapled his face for him and he surprisingly healed from it in moments.

Also, he brought her to Meme for help with her problem before they were an item.

I am missing something fundamental here.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy This should help. As you can see in the image, Kizu is chronologically the very first story in the franchise, so it takes place before Araragi's fateful encounter with 'Gahara.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you have the timeline confused.

Maybe this will help
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
@HaruhiToy This should help. As you can see in the image, Kizu is chronologically the very first story in the franchise, so it takes place before Araragi's fateful encounter with 'Gahara.

That picture is wrong in one respect. The novel after Zoku has already been released and is named "Orokamonogatari". Other than that mistake, everything else is correct (since it's going to be lifted off the Japanese wiki for the series).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@Harleyquin It does say "As of late June 2015", so it's obviously outdated by now, both for books and for anime. Still, HaruhiToy's confusion was about the chronological placement of Kizu, Bake and Otori in relation to the currently airing season, and the image should be sufficient to clear that up. Though killjoy_the's image has the added advantage of in-story calendar dates, so it's probably even more helpful.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
^ ^^ Thanks everyone. Great resource.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
#5:

So Oikura's hatred for Araragi is fully fleshed out in this episode. One thing I liked about the end-arc is the complications inherent within Oikura which are not as present in the other characters. Does she deserve the hand she has been dealt despite her many similarities with the other girl Araragi knows well? Does Araragi deserve to feel guilty for what Oikura claims is his responsibility for contributing to the current situation she is in?

The last request Oikura puts forward just as they leave will occupy the next episode, it doesn't take a genius or spoilers to work that out. Since Oshino Ougi plays such a huge role in this and the other arc to have aired so far, I'm looking forward to see what new challenge she has in store for the class reps.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Wow. This episode.

Beautiful. The inner dialogues and interpersonal problem with Oikura and her family (namely her mother) is a high point of this season imo. It shows a more vulnerable side. Not much word plays or Ougi this week but I'm fine with that. The conversation in that room is just so interesting.

This Sodiachi Lost arc has so far been no less than fabulous. Great episode. Can't wait to see how this will unfold from here. Also really enjoying the music used for the episode and the character expression + choreography was nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6