• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The entire episode consists of a combat between two sides including massive mecha. No suggestion as to why they are fighting except that is what people with mecha do..

Is it really that hard to follow? 10 years ago where we started last episode some of those bad sleeping giant robots fell from the sky. The "bad guys" used this chance to blame the destruction those robots caused on our lead character's mother, perhaps specifically on Oubo as a herald of the destruction. Red haired girl knew the mother personally, and really their ages should be fairly close. We might not know why Roeko has a grudge against her, but perhaps it is connected Roeko's age apparently being stopped, I might even make a guess the mother out herself there partially as punishment. We can also surmise that Roeko's mech was damaged from that battle probably with Oebo, it may also be something that fuels her.

What the good guys fight for, well as we saw it is pretty divided. As a general rule they probably want to bring down the regime that the "bad guys" put in where they branded all other magic mech users as bad guys, keeping the power to themselves. At least two of them we know are fighting for their parents, although one for against their killer, while the other is more concerned that the new regime took away the pride of his father and "drove him crazy". But what is kind of clear is that although they are joining together, they are not yet all together.

Our lead character shares half the genes of his mother, it is not a stretch that he looks somewhat like her, and especially more so when magic mech users are not too common.

Alan45 wrote:
I have no problem with magic as a motivator but I don't see the purpose of mixing it with mecha. If you can protect yourself with magic force fields and throw magic energy bolts why are we seeing one mecha bash another with its fists?

The mecha here are the real show. Clearly the technology acts as a conduit, they cannot just activate magic, but there are also self controlled robots. Perhaps the robot being humanoid is a more energy efficient so they can control it like their body? It gives them mobility, not to complex, and allows them more defensive shields when they are on it.

Maybe not entirely connected, but I watched an interesting video recently by Gaijin Goomba who talked about the interesting cultural different ideas of mecha between Japan and the West in video games. And it had me think about the strange aversion in anime recently of Heavy Object where mechs are instead slow moving fortresses.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Yeah, it is that hard to follow. I suspect the problem is that it makes sense if you are up on the standard tropes of mecha shows. I'm not. The closest thing to a mecha show I've watched is Patlabor, and I don't think that qualifies.

Way too many coincidences, way too much unexplained action. Way too much unexplained world. I suppose some of this will be explained in the future but I won't be there to see it.

And no, I don't buy that you could identify someone after 20 years based on their eyes, even if they were identical to the mother's.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
episode two

To be fair to the government here, it does seem letting a bunch of kids have crazy living robot based megaweapons is kind of a bad idea, as ideas go. I'm sure we'll find out more, though, now that the kids have bought themselves some time.

On a side note: The main character doesn't seemed to have aged as much as he should have. He's still such a shrimp. How old was he when he fell, anyway? If I had guessed based on scenes of when he fell, I'd have said 8ish, but if I back figure from how old he seems like now I'd say he couldn't have been more than 6.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
@HelloBucket

That part I did pick up on. His parents were having the twins 6th birthday party (the sister still had icing on her face) when all hell broke loose and they were sent down to earth with their father. It is now ten years later so he is 16 in spite of the fact he looks 12.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Did they say what happened to the father?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

No. The mother tells the father to take care of the twins just before they fall to earth. That is why I assume that he went with them. You see the mecha fall into Tokyo Bay and sink beneath the water. The next scene cuts forward to ten years later with no sign of father or sister.

I suppose people will be saying this is a "show not tell" example. Unfortunately while they haven't told us anything they haven't shown us anything either. Just a lot of disparate items with nothing to tie them together.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Meh, first half felt like it dragged.

Azuma's personality feels way too straightforward. However, I did like some of the background storytelling about Roeko, Azuma's mother, etc. Seems like Kogane is going into rage mode again (it's like her personality completely changes whenever she sees that Shuusaku dude) after reflecting her past. Somehow, I feel like we'll see a character die in the next episode...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I think that it was a thought I had last episode, but the OP song for some reason feels a bit like the one used from Arpeggio, that is it feels a bit like a Nano song. Honestly it could be that I am thinking of it because the similar cg.

I kind of like that we have the female members can fit the roles of aggressive.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
episode three

The show takes a breather to flesh out its characters a bit and... it's just awful. The cast is just insufferable. The villains are more irritating than menacing, too. I'm still enjoying the lore building though, which was enough to keep me alive through the episode, but I'm glad we're gearing up for another fight.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Right now the only thing keeping me watching is Matobai, mostly for his over-the-top villainy as Kenjiro Tsuda purrs his lines. I lol'd when I realized he's been wearing the same clothes for the last ten years though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Right now the only thing keeping me watching is Matobai, mostly for his over-the-top villainy as Kenjiro Tsuda purrs his lines. I lol'd when I realized he's been wearing the same clothes for the last ten years though.

He does an awesome villain voice. I recognise it also from being Silver from Fairy Tail. Total man crush on his voice. And I do think Matobai has a delicious over the top villainy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

The Kogane rage continues~

The more I look at the flashbacks, the more I feel bad about Kogane now. The storytelling isn't impressive imo with a fair amount of predictable ideas. But still, it is entertaining enough. About time Kogane got a little bit of payback. For some reason, I feel like the next fight will be somewhat comical because of the ending. Guess we'll have to see.

This show has quite a bit of action....more than most shows imo for this season so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
We found out that apparently his mother destroyed the limbs of the other mecha so her team are out of their original pieces to complete theirs, and they want to steal the other limbs.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Weird episode. The fight had a lot of weird vibe to it imo involving Kinoa. I thought her past was rather strange as well but at least she was able to get some payback. The conclusion of the fight felt cheesy though imo.

That cliffhanger ....I wonder how many people saw it coming?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5:

Weird episode. The fight had a lot of weird vibe to it imo involving Kinoa. I thought her past was rather strange as well but at least she was able to get some payback. The conclusion of the fight felt cheesy though imo.

That cliffhanger ....I wonder how many people saw it coming?

I certainly didn't, unless I missed some clues in the previous episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6