• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri!!! on Ice (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That was a ton of skating! Very Happy Nice to see Yuuri finally land a quad. Smile All the costuming must be keeping their character designer(s) busy!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episodes 5 and 6

This show is being pretty unfair, because I could not look away from any of these thrilling skate performances. Between the two I think most liked the spunky Minami and, the talk behind the Russian guy's bitter performance, but there were a bunch that were good, and I felt genuinely interested in watching them. Also Yuri's mind training he did to put himself in a certain frame of mind.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

I'm proud that Yuri came so far in the competition. Hell, even Victor expresses how proud he is with that big embrace at the end.

I can't wait for Yuri to meet Yurio again in the future especially after that ending. What an episode! Oh and a shoutout to Georgi....because I think the choreography used in his performance was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
It is now officially "Yaoi on Ice".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Yuri is sure seductive with that program, he has done well to psyche himself up. Yurio also seems to have that Agape thing down, he was really able to recover after being so angry and wanting his grandfather to watch. JJ though is super gaudy.

Of course Yuri would insist without a second thought that Victor go, he remembers the pain. That bit with the siblings was a bit creepy, kind of reminded me of Blades of Glory.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Thought this episode was pretty entertaining. Competition continues with the other countries competing including Korea.

Character chemistry between Victor and Yuri is still memorable this episode. Yuri's latest performance was pretty fun to watch imo. I think at this point, Yurio easily recognizes that he's improved. His reunion with Yuro was priceless lol

Yurio's own performance was very impressive imo. One of the best so far in this competition. JJ also impressed me quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Emotions running high this episode. Those tears Anime cry As for the performances, I think Michele Crispino did a decent job. His sister Sara is proud of him! They have such a close bond that is quite realistic.

However, I think the one that stood out the most would be Yurio this episode. What a performance, holy shit. Might be his best one yet. This Yuri vs Yurio rivalry has gotten so intense!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

OMGOMGOMG. This series is genius.

This episode is framed sort of as a recap before the grand prix final so there's re-introducing of all the characters and such, but it surprisingly includes minimal amounts of reused footage from past episodes. There is new stuff going on while Victor recaps things for the audience and then-- DUDE!!! THEY DID IT. They got engaged!!! I wasn't sure they would actually do it, but this series hasn't really let us down thus far. Victor and Yuuri got engaged with Victor announcing that the wedding will be after Yuuri wins gold! O_O!!!!!!!

What really got me was the ending though. Replacing the ending theme with footage from Yuuri's (literally) forgotten past, and then closing with the reason why Victor became Yuuri's coach. Just-- WOW!!!!

I didn't have high expectations once the episode showed that it would be part recap but whoa. Big thumbs up from me! Plus Victor and Yuuri are soooooo cuuuute! JJ cracked me up too. These characters are great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
That everyone left when JJ showed up was funny.

But the best part was the finding out that Yuri got drunk the previous year and had a dance off, and that the ED showed it in all the phone gallery goodness, finishing with finding out that it set a number of things off.

Maybe I am not getting a joke, but I am pretty sure they are not really engaged, it is the wrong had for one. Right? It was a connection for the two of them, and a super embarrassing scene to be funny.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I am not getting a joke, but I am pretty sure they are not really engaged, it is the wrong had for one. Right? It was a connection for the two of them, and a super embarrassing scene to be funny.

I noticed they were wearing it on their right hand as well, but I believe it's more symbolism than anything. (Same-sex couples cannot legally get married in Japan, afterall, except for in Shibuya I think?? But it's not accepted country-wide.) The fact is that the two have grown very close and the people around them are supportive.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
Well, if you look closely at the receipt, Yuuri bought wedding rings. And rumor has it that it's the right hand in Russia, but I haven't seen any actual Russians verifying that yet, so... Fwiw, Episode 8 of The Great Passage just had a character comment that "'right' is the hand you don't wear a wedding ring on...but maybe some people do."

Also, Russian Christmas is Jan 7. So was Victor born on 12/25 or 1/7?

Did you notice that the beds in the room were pushed together? Maybe they just got a really tiny room, but it looked like only one of the beds had been slept in (who makes up their own bed in a hotel?).

I also really loved the matter-of-fact PDA while out shopping. That would get them beaten or killed in Russia (and other places) these days. I like YOI's world better.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, if you look closely at the receipt, Yuuri bought wedding rings. And rumor has it that it's the right hand in Russia, but I haven't seen any actual Russians verifying that yet, so...
Yeah, the wedding ring is generally worn on the right hand in Russia, as well as some other Orthodox and Orthodox-influenced countries. The rules for engagement rings apparently aren't followed as strictly, but they also tend to be worn on the ring finger of the right hand until the wedding day, when you either move the ring to a different finger or stop wearing it altogether (and even though I live in Russia I had to look this part up - I pay so little attention to matrimonial matters I wasn't even sure if we had a tradition of engagement rings to begin with Smile ).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also really loved the matter-of-fact PDA while out shopping. That would get them beaten or killed in Russia (and other places) these days. I like YOI's world better.
What I really liked was that when Viktor drops the "promise of marriage" bombshell the part that scandalized everyone isn't that in itself, but the implication that Yuuri will take the gold at the Grand Prix Very Happy

Also, as someone who was born near Saint Petersburg and raised in Almaty, I'd really love to see more of the Yurio-Otabek pairing. They should totally hang out at Medeu together!
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Considering that this episode actually took place in Barcelona, Spain and not Russia...it's not that weird that no one's bothering them.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Considering that this episode actually took place in Barcelona, Spain and not Russia...it's not that weird that no one's bothering them.
There's also this tweet from the show's writer essentially stating that there is no homophobia in the world of YoI (there's a more detailed translation in the responses).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Wow, I have to praise the episode for making me really like all of the skaters. Even JJ who was kind of easy to hate on, seeing him fall to pressure showing that he is just a person, it made me actually feel like cheering him on like all of the others after he failed so much. Phichit too, his enthusiasm is contagious. There was a real sense of what each skated for.

Also got the sense that Victor's desire to compete has been reawakened. From Yurio breaking his record and everything else. Yuri seems to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3