• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Place Further Than the Universe (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mari's encounter with her Mom was pretty classic. Really well-directed sequence.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, each episode is working very well, they are really pulling off a good balance with the show. The "Shut talking now" felt like something you would genuinely of someone trying to sound more polite after going after having a knee jerk reaction. Also happy we got this training episode, because I imagined they needed something similar before just going.

Was really thinking that Mari needed to talk to her parents over what her plans were, and the right fallout to leaving it so late. But hopefully her parents see that this is a case which has showed their daughter the way to show some real drive. To think that somehow her neighbours knew before she told her parents, though. And looks like her friend might be starting to feel a little left out, I wonder how that will go.

But, there also seemed a bit of a dip in animation quality in the episode. I wonder if this will be a case of some of the conservatism about how the project would do by certain people which may get more money after the positive reactions it has been getting.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I'm loving this show more and more. The horror-esque scene with Mari's mom had me laughing cause I wasn't expecting it. The 'shut talking' bit was funny as well.

I'm curious to see if there will be some sort of confrontation between Shirase and Gin later on. I mean, Shirase seems bitter about Gin coming back and not her mom which is understandable.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Another solid episode from studio Madhouse. I actually found the drama with Megumi to be pretty relatable and when she said that she wasn’t going to be her friend anymore, my heart dropped a bit. The character animation during that part was very good and definitely helped to elevate the emotion on display between Megumi and Mari. While I personally would have liked Megumi go with her to Antarctica, I totally understand why it wasn’t going to happen. That whole scene actually almost got me close to tearing up a bit and that’s always a good thing. There were still pretty humorous things in the episode as well. Shirase’s “Why would someone sell seashells?” moment had me laughing a bunch and was a question I wondered for years as well. Yuzuki being glad that she didn’t go to karaoke with the other girls was funny too. Overall, the show so far is being very consistent with its quality and I’m very much looking forward to watching more.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Not surprised at Megumi exploding on Mari. Up to this point, the series had little touches that showed how Megumi wasn't actually okay with how things were going. Things like her reactions to some of the things Mari said or the whole sending pics thing.

Her 'breakup' with Mari was quite something to watch. The little changes in facial expression as Mari goes from confusion to shock helped sell the scene.

As for the rest of the episode, I enjoyed how Mari's sister started tossing unnecessary stuff out of the boxes and Shirase freaking out about being on camera. The karaoke bit was funny as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
So Megumi was doing things like that behind her friend's back. Maybe should have been obvious looking back, but she is not a really good person, that she always insulted Shirase when she talked about her. By the sounds of it Megumi may have even realized it, that despite her proper act, she was sort of doing things out of an inferiority complex of being better than someone else. Probably understandable, and maybe warranted that Mari kind of appeared as dysfunctional in areas, and then we see that her supposedly well adjusted friend is herself has her own problems. Megumi perhaps aware enough to see the way she acted made her not good enough to be her friend that she won't let her get away from being her friend. I hope that Megumi will look for a way to make it up to Shirase latter in apologizing.

But anyway, they off to my turf.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Ah, 5 episodes of building up with the remaining for the journey. I'm fine this although I wish it was slightly shorter (maybe 3 episodes?) For what's worth, Megumi's outburst this episode also didn't surprise me but to put it into the latest episode gave me some mixed thoughts on it.

I'm excited to see how the journey to Antarctica will unfold.

Glad to see everyone preparing well so far and making some more valuable memories before they set off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well that was quite the bonding situation between Shirase and HInata. Shirase fully realizing how much her three companions mean to her for the trip, that she does not want any them not to make it if she can help it, and Hinata I guess realizing that she can accept that her companions can be concerned for her, and it is not some moral failing that she maybe not take help. But the end was fantastic, after the big emotional lesson story where Shirase showed how much Hinata can mean to her, she found it in her bag. I loved the horror, Jaws like music, that accompanied Shirase's panic and Yuzuki sniffed out that something was up, sort of like earlier with Hinata, but more now after everything. It made the bit afterwards hilarious as Mari and Yuzuki forced Shirase and HInata into a punishment.

Yuzuki's shift at being especially cranky with some things, is starting to be a very funny rounded part of her character. Like when she said she would murder Mari after see that she would have to deal with her by sleeping in the same bed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

They are finally on the boat, right before leaving. The girls all also notice something weird about the crew, there is not a huge amount of actual positivity, that there is almost like a lack of confidence in the trip, and there are fewer people than they might expect. It is funny when they try and play ninja in watching people to figure out what it is, and they seem to come to a conclusion there is some plan no one has revealed yet.

But I think what the deal is, comes out when they finally have the party before their voyage, with the girls being introduced to the rest of the crew. More than a case of something being wrong, it is that they have come into a situation that is mixed with a lot of emotions for the people. My guess is that one of their unsaid missions is actually to recover Shirase's mother, that they never wanted to leave someone behind like they did, and bring back the body is something they all feel like they need to do, even if they are not exactly drowning in resources.

The introduction was funny, and the start of the party was giving some nice insight, but the scale of it all came to a head I think when Shirase looked up. No doubt they all knew who she was, and she could see that she herself was walking into something, I don't think she fully considered on their side. It was a like a big web of emotions, and that I think Shirase herself is kind of a part of that, at least now. I don't know if I have said it already, but Shirase is my favourite character in the show.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

This show continues to be great! I like how the episode balanced out the comedy with the serious moments. The scene with Shirase laying in her mom's old bunk staring at the 'stars' was a really nice touch. She gets to feel closer to her mom and it also showed depth for Gin. DuskyPredator put my other thoughts into words better than I could.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Good Lord did I laugh out load when Shirase had that sign taped to her head that said "Worthless" and then she pulls it off and there's hair's plucked from her scalp still attached to the tape. I must say it's the little background things that endear me to this anime.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

The show’s still going strong. Man, I felt really bad for our 4 leads. Although, it was important for them to understand now that stamina is extremely important, I couldn’t help but laugh at their facial/verbal reactions throughout the episode. I’ve haven’t been on a boat on water in 10 years, so seeing them getting so seasick has me relieved that I’m not one to go out to sea a whole lot. That ending scene with Shirase holding flowers as she overlooked Antarctica was a very nice touch and a solid way to end this week’s episode. Next week will likely show them on land, so I’ll be looking forward to seeing how they’ll respond to the land sickness warning that the boat’s chef lady told them about.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
That ending scene with Shirase holding flowers as she overlooked Antarctica was a very nice touch and a solid way to end this week’s episode.
I assumed that that was meant to be Todo. I wouldn't expect Shirase to acknowledge the fact that her mother is dead so clearly at this stage.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
Getting on the boat surely was the start of some new problems. The show really did a good job of expressing they were having a grand terribly time, having to adjust to schedules, the need of building stamina, when seasickness came in, and when the waves got real bad. And yet, also building up that this is an experience they will be looking back at fondly, saying it was fun, and I think that will probably be it. I have never really been on the sea myself, but I can recall times that I would say I was pretty horrible, but I look back at them now as really fun experiences, something I would feel I really got something out of pushing myself beyond what I was able. And the feeling was awesome when Mari brought this up.

There were also plenty of humorous parts in the episode too, that fill right into their personalities. Shirase continues to be terrible on camera, she was literally shoving the microphone into the face of who she was interviewing. And the eyebrow bit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

In your face!

That scene was awesome. Of course that is what Shirase needed to say first, to be able to throw it into the faces of everyone who insulted her about her dream. The episode was also a lot about their captain, Gin, who was not only Shirase's mother's best friend, but also heard her final words, feeling responsible for everything. Interesting to learn that Gin and Shirase are actually really similar, that was cute, and funny how they worked the scene with them both saying the same thing. Also, I liked them learning they were totally spied on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3