• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Cub (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 2 Reiko

This time, I had to watch it twice even before reaching my own opinion on it. It's a slice of life show with an unreliable narrator, from her outright delusion in class to the more subtle issue of the toppings for her lunch- she knew she was running low but getting more from the local supermarket was a spur of the moment thing?

I think the point is that she usually does her chores, like buying her ready-made packets, on the weekend. And because she never had anything but her bicycle, she only went a very short distance and bought her food at the nearby convenience store. By being able to drive ALL THE WAY to the super-market, she could buy at the much cheaper super-market prices. Hence her apparent surprise at seeing them so cheap.
(Wish we had cheap stuff like that here. Ever bought those "Tasty Bite" curry packets at a US store?)

It also seems that she's been living without active guardians for quite some time, so a super-market trip is simply something foreign to her.

Quote:
....when Koguma reached that absurdly built intersection for a seemingly rural location. When I saw how large it was I thought "I can easily imagine a car coming out of nowhere and sideswiping her like what happened in Kanon" just as the music ended on that sour note.

Probably a main trucking route. I'm familiar with intersections like that from my time in rural Indiana. The Indiana license plate reads (or maybe did) "Crossroads of America" and also features an Indy car on the corner. I got a kick out of that. To me, it says two things. 1) "We're a state you drive through to get somewhere you actually want to go." 2) "If we had a race car, we'd do so as fast as physically possible".

Nastiest bit I noticed was the sign that she has been bullied about being poor before. The girls teasing her about "budget must be tight" stung me. Apparently living by yourself and not having any family is a reason to ridicule? In high school?
It was an unfortunate thing I remember from elementary school, kids making fun of the dirty- smelly poor kids (not me specifically, I was part of the bullied for different reasons).
Sure, we've seen the anime about vicious bullying, but getting a hint of it in an apparent "healing" anime surprised me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That "absurdly built intersection for a seemingly rural location" is a real intersection. I was able to find it on Google Maps. It's in the village of Mukawa, Hokuto in Yamanashi Prefecture. The route numbers even match the ones on the sign that Koguma sees before she crosses that intersection.

Intersection in the anime:

Intersection on Google Maps:

I was also able to follow the route she took to the grocery store and was delighted to see that all the buildings that she passes are real, just with different names. In real life, the convenience store she passes is a 7-Eleven, the grocery store in the anime is called Mukawa, in real life it's called Yamato.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Reiko's character kind of shone a bit more, making it more obvious that she is really into motorbikes. Like she kept forgetting that she was meant to be looking to solve Koguma's immediate problem and getting distracted by other things, where she seems largely happy to have someone to talk about her interest that would just tell her that they are sick about hearing about bikes all the time. Which perhaps is a fit for Koguma who has said she had not much else going on in her life, like that she does not even have a TV at her place, rather than just an old radio.

But Koguma also seems to be getting more and more happy. Also, with the teacher bringing a basket, kind of makes me wonder about the school understanding her situation as a teenage girl living alone.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
That "absurdly built intersection for a seemingly rural location" is a real intersection. I was able to find it on Google Maps. It's in the village of Mukawa, Hokuto in Yamanashi Prefecture. The route numbers even match the ones on the sign that Koguma sees before she crosses that intersection.

Thanks for the photos as it shows something the anime couldn't due to perspective- the roads don't connect at the intersection. Now I have questions for the civic planning that made such a thing.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
You have me confused when you say the roads don't connect at that intersection. The locations in the anime actually are accurate to the real locations.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

Intersection in the anime:
[removed pic]

Intersection on Google Maps:
[removed pic]

I was also able to follow the route she took to the grocery store and was delighted to see that all the buildings that she passes are real, just with different names. In real life, the convenience store she passes is a 7-Eleven, the grocery store in the anime is called Mukawa, in real life it's called Yamato.

Just looked at the town map and the location of the high school. Holy crap would that road be a bi+ch to ride/walk. Not only do you cross a bridge and go up a hill, it's a winding indirect road.

They really went into details on the show. Definitely hoping for anime pilgrims... on their bikes. And yeah, looking at the map, it's not a strange intersection at all. The big road is a main roadway through mountains between small cities, the other is the town's "Main street"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
I had quite a bit of fun looking at the real life locations using Street View on Google Maps and comparing them to their anime counterparts! The town actually isn't hard to get to from Tokyo since both are connected by the JR Chuo Line. The distance between the train station and the school that Koguma goes to can be walked to in 51 minutes (40 for me since I tend to walk fast) according to Google.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

So she had a Summer transporting papers between schools, which I would be curious over the maths of how much she got out of it. But I suppose the experience help her, she got more out of her skin, and she probably could do more courier positions.

A particular part of the episode I liked was how anxious she was to knock on the door of the other school's faculty office, I feel that right in the introversion. Also her struggling to do the oil change of her bike, I can't relate specifically, but I have been in that sort of struggling to put together or some sort of maintenance and just laying down as you try and figure out what to do as some sort of creativity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:15 am Reply with quote
One of my concerns about this show is how arid Kogama's life is. Now, I get it: the whole point of the show is to trace the journey of a girl "who has nothing" into a girl who meets people (and makes friends), does things and see things thanks to her Super Cub. But even so, the austerity of her non-Super Cub life is getting oppressive for me. The episode covered two months of summer in her precious youth and the impression I'm left with is that she did nothing but wait around to do her delivery job the whole time. I have this mental image of her sitting in her tiny apartment blank eyed just waiting for that day's job to start. I hope we start seeing more tangible evidence of her expanding life, soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

As the name of the episode implied, this one was about Reiko's summer, which was kind of crazy. Reiko was doing some sort of work that had her checking mountain trails on her bike, specifically she was wanting to climb Mt Fuji on her cub. There was a lot of her falling off her bike, it would seem that indeed it is a pretty difficult thing that can do some harm, which kind of had me thinking she might not have been valuing her safety enough. She had to check up to station 6, but we saw her trying past that (which she had permission) on perhaps a final trek, but she was not able to get to the top. I am kind of surprised phone reception worked there, I was kind of thinking she would need some sort of other kind of radio.

But another benefit of the episode was that Kogama was able to be more close to Reko, not as reserved, Kogama cooking dinner and staying over at Reiko's place. Kogama also seems to want to get a full motorbike license.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Wow, Koguma has become a real rebel. It looked like she was going to miss a school trip due to a fever, but apparently got over it in a few hours. After being super furious by her standards, she made the decision to drive her cub to the locations herself, something the school would totally not allow if they knew she was doing it. She as expected got chewed out over it, and then with Reiko did another hooligan move and rode her bike again in tandem. Before long Koguma is going to be smoking behind the school and getting into fist fights with rival school girl delinquents.

Also got the sense that Koguma can get along now with Reiko's obsessive bike chats, especially since they can bond over more experiences now that Koguma went out of her comfort zone in traveling a distance. Reiko also revealed that her bike is pretty much shot after her mountain escapades, she will have to get a new one.

This traveling a distance thing does remind me of Yuru Camp, a part of that series I was kind of cool on first because they were pretty isolated segments, but they had their charm. Rin meets Koguma when?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:53 am Reply with quote
"Super furious by her standards..." That made me chuckle. And if Koguma ever did meet Rin from Yuru Camp what a talkfest that would be with those two chatterboxes! Looking forward to seeing what Reiko's new ride will look like.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I had a fun time with this episode tracing her route on Google Maps. Excluding her Mt Fuji side trip, her distance traveled was around 100 miles. It was also nice for me to see some familiar spots on her route!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

French name, German bread and in general interested father, a vaguely European building style, American diner styled seating along with the mother's aesthetic, a British counter top, and the daughter herself interested in Italy with her ideas of a café. Saying it was scattershot certainly fits, but I kind of liked the whole thing in at least portrayed authentically chaotic, or evidence of each person's interest in their own thing along with areas of compromise with I guess the French name and English counter. That bit about liking what you like unashamedly, feels quite in line with this series that saw Koguma come into her interest in bikes/cubs.

Was it implied that Shii's mother dyed her hair blonde and was wearing blue colour contacts? I could understand that as maybe why she was a bit embarrassed, but she looked cool and apparently and passsionate in her aesthetic. And the American styled truck (ute). Some of it reminds me of Shinobu's British obsession from Kiniro Mosaic.

I really liked that one shift with the colour, where when Koguma drank the coffee the colours suddenly popped as if to show her attitude became brighter. It did not stay like it the entire episode, but notably the colour returned when Koguma went back to the restaurant before she even drank the coffee again. I would take it that she found it a warm and inviting environment.

Also, this episode had two young girls that hang out at a log cabin, ride motorcycles and share drinks with each other. It is difficult not to read into things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I think you've slipped your yuri goggles on too quickly, DP. Maybe my radar is off, but I really am getting no vibes beyond two girls who have bonded over a mutual love of Super Cubs. As a matter of fact, I have a hard time imagining Koguma as anything other than asexual. Now, if the show uses that "colours popping" thing when Koguma sees Reiko at some point, I may have to change my mind...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3