• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sonny Boy (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
5:

Man, I thought Monkey League was weird. What's the Pac-Mouse all about.

I have to admit, Nagara's lack of spine does grate on my nerves a little. I've met such people in RL and, no matter how much you try to motivate or spur them on, their pessimism is like a quicksand. I can understand that such people's lives may have been hard, but still.

Deducing one's superpower remains to be difficult because well, nobody says that the scientific method is easy. It's easier for people to put two and two together and make a conclusion without replicating or trying to disprove it. Nagara's superpower seemed to involve transporting, and since he's a "coward", the conclusion must be that this superpower is to "run away permanently". Plausible and tempting, right? From here on, no need to explore other possibilities. That's why, in a world full of uncertainties, we need rational people like Rajdhani to find the way out.

Something tells me that Ms. Aki isn't really Ms. Aki. She seems like a outlier. A glitch in the matrix whose purpose is to stir shit up. A more aggressive version of Hoshi with her "God sent me here". Someone (something?) who was sent by the Voice?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:16 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Something tells me that Ms. Aki isn't really Ms. Aki. She seems like a outlier. A glitch in the matrix whose purpose is to stir shit up. A more aggressive version of Hoshi with her "God sent me here". Someone (something?) who was sent by the Voice?

I actually don't think she was sent by the voice, my reason being that Hoshi actually calls out that she is lying, and after his classmates kind of finally start to call him out on his manipulations he says to himself that it is true. I think this points that the voice has told him that Ms. Aki is lying, and so if Hoshi has been hearing words of god (or something), Aki might be the devil taking on a form of authority to tempt the students down the wrong path. Right now she is the highest on my list of what brought them away from their world, considering the idea that she is maybe some sort of abstract being from another dimension that perhaps took notice of them due to the abilities. Perhaps from Mizuho's ability since she mentioned "god" told her it is her fault, so she used a power that crosses dimensions and got the attention of something that stole them.

She also seems very attached to getting her claws around Asakaze, perhaps from the implications of his ability to control gravity. He might have just used it to fly, but controlling gravity could perhaps have greater applications with quantum mechanics or something. Seeing as it seemed to be Asakaze's ability that got him out of the pocket world the class got stuck in, and created the black pool.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
I have a relatively hard time following this show, but I'm enjoying it. I agree that Nagara's spinelessness is grating. Presumably, his journey will be going from that to something better, but the early going is irritating to watch. And I can't believe some of you don't trust Oppai-Sensei! Gosh darnit, if you can't believe a woman with hefties, who can you trust???
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
5:
Deducing one's superpower remains to be difficult because well, nobody says that the scientific method is easy. It's easier for people to put two and two together and make a conclusion without replicating or trying to disprove it. Nagara's superpower seemed to involve transporting, and since he's a "coward", the conclusion must be that this superpower is to "run away permanently". Plausible and tempting, right? From here on, no need to explore other possibilities. That's why, in a world full of uncertainties, we need rational people like Rajdhani to find the way out.

I disagree on pretty much all points. The last thing you do is set up a conclusion and then seek to prove it; The correct way to aggregate data and then draw a conclusion and then test it. The students were,[sigh] ,literally putting effect before the cause. However there are two conditions at work that Rajdhani refuses to acknowledge yet, order and logic, and their opposites, nonsense and chaos.

"Visit Another World, win a valuable prize" and Rajdhani took it at face value? Even after there was an 8 bit Pac-Man clone? I was always working under the assumption that the worlds were manmade because people want underlying rules, AKA "justice", "God", otherwise it's all just unfeeling chaos.

But what if there were, let's say, logic and chaos? [Order and nonsense is Alice in Wonderland and I've already seen three new anime episode this week with Alice Allusions so, no, I won't touch it yet]. The rules for deciphering each are non compatible so as you try to solve for one, the other waits to ruin all your work.

I think the chaos element here is meta though and it's that their story is a story. Alice Allusion coming up later, which should prove the opposite.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

This episode felt especially trippy, coming from a place of finding a movie theatre world working mostly off of Nagara's point of view, and they can edit reality by editing film. I was thinking the editing/pace in this episode was especially weird, which had me thinking along the lines that this was the type of editing that the kids were doing.

On other ends, they meet a wolf that looks out of a little red riding hood illustration, who was both apparently a classmate from the future, and 5'000 years old. God is also apparently their principle, and looks like Dr. Strangelove, honestly I don't know enough about Strangelove to be able to comment on that.

Their teacher has been confirmed by the wolf to not be the teacher, and Hoshi has been hearing the principal/god, and got Hoshi to build some sort of ark. They tried to edit themselves back to their world, but seem to only really become observers to what could be a world of if they stayed, which apparently Nozomi has died. They were also called a copy, I guess to say if they were simply copies of who they were.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I believe this is a full season show with at least 12 eps, and with ep 6, I really wonder where they have left to go. I don't know how much more crazy it can get and still make any sense. I will still watch, mainly out of curiosity and lack of much else to watch this summer.

As for the principle vs Dr Strangelove, I see the resemblance now that you mention it. Wheelchair, wavy hair, dark glasses, one gloved hand, etc. But Dr S's gloved hand seemed to have a mind of its own; like, it tried to strangle him once. Which everyone tried to politely ignore and pretend everything's normal. Maybe that sort of thing will happen here in general. Wink
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
6:

Ahhhh.

Yeah, from the get-go I had this impression that Nagara had found a world where he gets to be the director who can edit reality like it's film. Apparently not: the ability to edit is just randomness, and their plan to "re-insert" themselves back into their world. That busted because they're supposedly just copies of themselves. I also had the impression that God-Principal isn't allowing them to do so, but maybe not; it's just out of chance that they can't do something like that.

The whole part about how Nagara is revealed to be merely an observer feels like a nod to quantum mechanics though, ngl. Kinda of inevitable when we're dealing with reality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
As for the principle vs Dr Strangelove, I see the resemblance now that you mention it. Wheelchair, wavy hair, dark glasses, one gloved hand, etc.

For anyone who doesn't (or hasn't seen Strangelove).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
I am only really aware of the character through cultural osmosis, I think I saw some videos a while back that talked about the movie, but I couldn't say much more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
It's well worth watching the full movie.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
Peter Sellers as God? I've heard worst possibilities.

I'm not quite ready to go down the Rabbit Hole just yet but the Red King is who I expected and for reasons I expected.

How can something be reality for one person but a dream for someone else? They would have to meet on a plane of existence they can interact, where thought and object can intersect. "You can't change the past."... look, I'm just going to say it...
I think the girl who is constantly heading towards the light won't be dead in the future, she's dead already.

Quantum mechanics: I think its easier to change the past than it is to change the future.... this may get a little complicated, even for me.... my own personal take on is that Free Will itself is a delusion. We say we can change the future but what we're saying isn't what we mean; The Future is X and will always be X and nothing you can do will change that. What we're trying to say is we can change Now. Ok, good... but when is Now? It's the arbitrary state of the Observer. And what would change mean? It would mean something about the world is fundamentally different to the observer. And what precipitates that observation? Past knowledge of the Observer.
What is the Observer knows something different, a different world, a different time? A different past knowledge entirely? A different Now. Human beings are the poorest Observers in the universe as our entire universe is measured against what we have inside our heads. Logic dictates what has to give is our brain, what QM likes to suggest is that the Universe gives way to perception.

"You can't change the past." That's sounds more like a directive than an absolute rule of the Universe. An absolute would be "You Will Never Change the Past."
This sounds more like a threat.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
7:

Interesting metaphors.

The Tower of Babel is basically a reference to what's happening with everyone stuck in "This World". Just like how God confound people's speech and therefore go on their own way rather than build this tower to reach Heaven, all the students are going on their own way for salvation, now that they learn they're never going back home.

But interestingly, the world that Nagara got drifted to is a reference to Rajdhani's formicarium. The students building the tower are basically ants: laborers whose purpose is simply to follow orders (almost mechanically) and not question their duties, even if it doesn't make sense.

That's the theme of the episode, isn't it? Purpose. Now that the purpose of the students in "This World" of returning to their old world is dashed, what other purpose do they have? And once you have purpose, you must have faith that pursuing it is worth it. That's essentially what Futatsuboshi described to Nagara up the cave. How else would you know that the purpose you have is the right one?

Interesting to see what happens now, with the students going their separate ways.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
8:

The first 30 seconds of the episode amused me more than anything else.

Yamabiko's story feels so familiar: a loner cursed to wander forever because he couldn't escape his own purgatory. His feelings toward Her―I'll just call her that―is hard to describe but strangely can understand: a person/object of envy that he (subconsciously) want to see destroyed. I wasn't surprised to see that the tumors were manifestations of Yamabiko's own mental anguish. He sees Her as this girl with all the gifts, yet she can't save anyone, and that strangely causes his anguish.

Kinda makes me think that what makes purgatory destructive is how self-fulfilling it is, and the fact that it's internal makes is even worse. It took him 5,000 years to finally wake up from his curse (hopefully), after bumping into the gang.

I now wanna pat his head too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

The series has been quite abstract, that it has been a little difficult to stay as invested as I would like. But it is still alright.

This episode seems to have brought in some interesting information, essentially that the cats are smarter than they look, and they have been aware that Mizuho's power, which is actually copying things, might be what made the class into copies and become adrift. I am not quite sure if they confirmed it or not, or that multiple powers worked together.

Also what cracks are forming around Nozomi. To be precise I think it has been fair to have put her into the column of "manic pixie dream girl", a girl that came out of nowhere (transfer student), and seems impossibly positive as well as just totally quirky. The type written to be comforting to a guy to like, because he chose the pretty girl, while also being cute. Which is why I have been kind of cold on her character, where her character seems to be written around being someone made for a male character/audience. But something had been kind of dangling, especially when we got that look of the ordinary world where she apparently has died. And she seemed really depressed in this episode after Asakaze, who has had a kind of obvious crush on her, kind of went off on her about some people not getting much of a say because she relies on others.

Just a hypothesis, but I have thought about Nozomi actually not being the super positive person that she gives the appearance of being, and that she has externalised on someone like Nagara because she can find it easier to be positive on someone else rather than herself. And thus if things went on like the ordinary world, she may have killed herself, and based on this episode what Asakaze said might be something relevent. Maybe I just find it easier to see her positive and quirky character as an act, rather than actually writing her that way.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also what cracks are forming around Nozomi.

She seemed a bit off to me even in episode 1 — she asks whether they’re in a Utopia or Hell, and smiles on mentioning the second possibility. Then she ends the episode by leaping into an empty void.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3