• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Satoshi Kon has scarred me for life....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Anyway, I just watched Perfect Blue for the first and last time on Saturday night after trading in my Avatar: The Last Airbender DVDs for the film at Bookmans. It is definitely the most disturbing anime I've ever seen. Heck, it's the most disturbing movie I've seen PERIOD.
Perhaps you'll be safer watching this movie instead? http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZApWZT3o-o
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Anyway, I just watched Perfect Blue for the first and last time on Saturday night after trading in my Avatar: The Last Airbender DVDs for the film at Bookmans. It is definitely the most disturbing anime I've ever seen. Heck, it's the most disturbing movie I've seen PERIOD.
Perhaps you'll be safer watching this movie instead? http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZApWZT3o-o

Holy satires, Batman! That's the funniest thing I've seen all month.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
The Ninja Scroll reference seems odd however, maybe you are not recalling it correctly? That scene disturbed ME. I have nothing against sex scenes in anime, however rape scenes in a non-hentai disturb me, and that one left a particularly bad taste in my mouth. I don't really recall that feeling from Perfect Blue however as I think it fit into the anime better.

Perhaps I'm not recalling it correctly. I don't know. While that scene was indeed disturbing, there was just something about it that didn't affect me as negatively as the scenes in Perfect Blue. It feels odd saying that, but it's true. Same with Elfen Lied. Those scenes just didn't strike a bad chord with me for some reason. Or perhaps it because (I just remembered this): in the case of Ninja Scroll, my brother watched it first and had a negative reaction to the sexual scenes. When he told me about it afterward, he made it seem to me like it was much heavier on the adult content than it actually was in reality. In the case of Perfect Blue, I didn't have a general idea of what was coming. Although it was the same with Elfen Lied, not knowing what was coming, and then being hit hard by that brutal first episode, and I didn't react negatively to it. Perhaps it was because it wasn't as "real" as Perfect Blue? *shrugs* I know I'm contradicting myself by saying that I absolutely loved Elfen Lied and I hated Perfect Blue (and I didn't like Ninja Scroll anyway), but that's just how things turned out.

EDITs: Typos, reworded some phrases

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
One thing I always enjoyed about Perfect Blue was that it never quite made sense-- it really leaves it up to the viewer what exactly is going on. Even at the, after watching it, me and my sister discussed what we thought was real, and what was the working of the mind. It's definitely not a straight "thriller." It _is_ like a David Lynch movie in that way.... it really borders on making sense, but never quite gets there.

I also thought the themes about the commodification of pop stars and the dehumanization of pop culture in general was really fascinating. That was part of why the rape scene, and the sexual undertones of much of it, was so telling-- the movie really is about selling yourself to attain success, and the kind of damage that can do to a person. She just actually __does so__ in the acting role, which makes it more vivid and telling. Personally, I thought that sequence was very well integrated in to the both the plot and metaphorical structure of the movie.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

To me, all the heaviness of the film was blew away when spoiler[shop windows reflected the ghostly "alter ego" of Mima was in fact her agent, an overweight middle aged woman, panting and sweating while running through the street in Mima's idol dress.] I burst out laughing immediately.

You laughed at that scene but for me that was what really creeped me out. The fact that spoiler[the agent was the one after Mima and that the agent still saw herself as still being an idol.]

But, it's been a long time since I've seen this movie...but that has ALWAYS been the scene that has stuck in my mind.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
You laughed at that scene but for me that was what really creeped me out.

I quite liked that scene on the basis that's it both creepy and ridiculous at the same time. It kinda reminded me of Terry Pratchett talking about nightmares in the Hogfather - sure, being chased by a giant pair of scissors may sound laughable, until you're actually being chased by them Laughing .
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
You laughed at that scene but for me that was what really creeped me out.

I quite liked that scene on the basis that's it both creepy and ridiculous at the same time. It kinda reminded me of Terry Pratchett talking about nightmares in the Hogfather - sure, being chased by a giant pair of scissors may sound laughable, until you're actually being chased by them Laughing .

Huh, yes that's it. That is why it has stuck in my mind this entire time.

And Terry Pratchett is just WILD! Wink
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

unhealthyman: I don't appreciate being flamed. Besides, I never said the sex in Ninja Scroll redeemed it. In all, I didn't really like the film all that much. I gave it as an example because just didn't find it as disturbing as Perfect Blue because of the "poison BS" as you called it. For some reason I did actually like that concept. As for Elfen Lied, I didn't think it was nearly as disturbing as Perfect Blue, which was why I mentioned it.

Meh, was just being grumpy really. The sex scenes in Perfect Blue were entirely integral to the story - it signified the kind of selling out needed to succeed and so on and the whole film is about celebrity and obsession... It's been a while since I've seen it, but comparing it to Ninja Scroll in any way is demeaning to them both. Perfect Blue deals with serious themes and is a very affecting and involving thriller. Ninja Scroll is a facile hack and slash, which is entertaining with some of the best ninja fight scenes but is essentially silly.

Anyways, you like what you like, and I'll like what I like. I just don't think it makes sense to rubbish a film because the subject matter made you too uncomfortable to follow it.

If you don't like horror - don't watch horror, don't watch it and then say it made no sense because you were too disgusted to look at it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
If you don't like horror - don't watch horror, don't watch it and then say it made no sense because you were too disgusted to look at it.

Well, it seemed more like a thriller to me than it did horror (and I believe that it was marketed as a thriller also), but whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Well, it seemed more like a thriller to me than it did horror (and I believe that it was marketed as a thriller also), but whatever.

I was using horror as an example. Perfect Blue is a psychological thriller or something similar. It has an 18 rating though.

I don't say, I was watching this romcom the other day, and it was so boring that I couldn't keep track of what was going on, so the story was confusing and rubbish.

Anyway, I'll stop being confrontational. You didn't like it. That's cool by me.
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen the live action Perfect Blue? I've always wondered how that one went...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
The attempted rape by the creepy stalker dude - well, what did you expect? He was a creepy stalker dude. That scene was there to bring closure to the other way in which she was seen, as an object, a possession.

see, i've always wondered about this scene. did it even really happen? or did she just imagine it, cause that's what seems to be implied.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well I wouldn't count it as one of my favorites due to that rape scene, I do own it and like it. For me the trippy psychological story was quite entertaining as I like a good mindtrip and have taken a few courses in psychology in high school and then later in college so it's a subject I enjoy. Also I was completely blown away by the fact you as the viewer never really know what's real and what's a product of her mental breakdown and revelation at the end about who the killer really was in particular. Shocked

As for your issues with the mature content, in the future you may want to pay attention to the packaging as it says right on the back "Unrated Director's Cut for Mature Audiences Only. Contains graphic violence, nudity, adult language, and adult situations. Parental Discretion Advised"
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
The attempted rape by the creepy stalker dude - well, what did you expect? He was a creepy stalker dude. That scene was there to bring closure to the other way in which she was seen, as an object, a possession.

see, i've always wondered about this scene. did it even really happen? or did she just imagine it, cause that's what seems to be implied.

Yeah, I don't know if it happened or not. I'm not sure that it really matters, as either way it still has the same meaning, whether she defeats him or just the idea of him.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Has anyone seen the live action Perfect Blue? I've always wondered how that one went...

For your info: the last paragraph from a review by Jasper Sharp that I came across on the Midnight Eye site:

Quote:
In the end analysis, it almost seems perverse that a cartoon treatment of the same source material should not only contain a great deal more tit and ass than the sex film director's (with nary a bare breast in sight, for those wondering), but also prove to be more cinematic, dramatic and emotionally charged.

Yeah. I'm in no hurry in find that cinematic gem.

On the other hand: Oh baby....that spoof trailer is a hoot!

As for the subject on hand: I'm one of those who had gotten wind of the film in Protoculture Addicts prior to its release and thus, armed also with a review in a local newspaper, knew ahead of time prior to sitting down in the theatre that I was to expect a psycho-thriller movie. The movie was dizzying, mesmerizing and, as the film reviewer stated, certainly not Disney family fare. Did I gasp at some of the brutality in the movie? Yes. Did I develop a sense of horror in me as the story developed? Yes. Did the movie have me creeped out at points? Yes. And did I tell my friends who were into anime that they should go see it? Yes. Definitely. Did I come out of the theatre scarred for life? No. For me, "Perfect Blue" is an effectively made movie that had me nailed to my seat. I suppose I have developed a cinema "vocabulary" and this movie has a its place in the "thriller" category. With that categorization comes an understanding about what I'll accept or not accept in terms of visuals, story, acts depicted and expectations. But it's all a matter tied to my movie going experience. Thus I've managed to survive "Eraserhead" but refuse to see that surrealist film, whose title I can't remember, (I recently saw a DVD of it) which features a scene where a stoically seated woman gets her eyeball sliced by a straight edge razor (in closeup at that). That is something I will not pay money to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4