• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Licensee Announced with Unico as 1st Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
One bites the dust (Geneon) and another rises up, heh, that's business for ya. Let's hope these guys can pull this off, would be nice to have a completely new name out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
One bites the dust (Geneon) and another rises up, heh, that's business for ya. Let's hope these guys can pull this off, would be nice to have a completely new name out there.
You took the words right out of my mind. It's great to see a new player entering the field (hopefully one who can do everything right and not repeat the mistakes of other companies.) If they're planning to bring older titles out, that would be especially nice since there are so many good titles that have long since entered the realm of "not new so not likely to be licensed."

Of course, being an English dub fan, I'm tempering all hope with a strong does of "can they afford to dub it?"
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
*break dances for joy at the news*

I haven't seen that movie in YEARS since I was a kid on the Disney channel.

God I am glad to see my childhood returning.

Just need to see what else can be brought back from obscurity.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'm curious about this company.... there's not much info on their website. Still, given they've just launched it, and ANN's reporting on it, I'm not too worried about their authenticity.

Here's the whois information for their domain, but I can't find any corporate registration in California under "New Galaxy". :-/

Paploo wrote:
The promise of classic shojo titles definitely does have me optimistic- hopefully, they'll find a way to bring over some really special titles in a quality, and keep themselves in buisness [given today's market, launching a new anime company can be difficult, though if they find a way, it means a more diverse market for everyone]

I agree completely.

Asako wrote:
YES!!! UNICO!!!! now I can finally throw away my old tapes ;_;

Don't do that until you have the DVD(s) in your "hot little hands" (as my mother says), and even then you will probably will want to wait until you've watched it/them. There are too many ways for a licensee, especially a new one, to screw up a release for you to take a chance like that (not that I have any evidence—one way or the other—that New Galaxy will do so). At this point I intend to support them in their endeavors, but will wait until the disc(s) are out (and reviewed) before purchasing it/them.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Shocked My best friend is going to SPAZZ when she reads this. Hell, even I'm amazed that Unico got re-licensed. I never saw it as a kid, so I'd like to see it now. Smile
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
8O My best friend is going to SPAZZ when she reads this. Hell, even I'm amazed that Unico got re-licensed. I never saw it as a kid, so I'd like to see it now. :)

It's obscure enough to be cheap, but obviously it does have some name recognition (including for its creator), and it's only a movie—which requires a lot less investment of time and movie to localize than even a short television show.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
Keonyn: I think what's ironic is that the bigger companies are failing precisely because they're over-investing in newer shows, while the newer companies like Discotek, ImaginAsian, and New Galaxy are able to bring older shows, because they're cheaper and stand out more than the new stuff. If only Animeigo put in as much effort at distributing, they might still sell anime... Rolling Eyes
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Keonyn: I think what's ironic is that the bigger companies are failing precisely because they're over-investing in newer shows, while the newer companies like Discotek, ImaginAsian, and New Galaxy are able to bring older shows, because they're cheaper and stand out more than the new stuff. If only Animeigo put in as much effort at distributing, they might still sell anime... Rolling Eyes

I imagine it's not so much that they're cheaper, but that they've found a market for them.... with ImaginAsian, they've kept costs low by having them be mail order, print on demand titles, cutting out the costs involved in distributors, retailers and mass production. And a lot of these titles, such as Discotek's classic 60's anime and the upcoming Lupin OVA reissues, while not as popular as some more recent anime, probably have just as many people willing to pay for them as said recent anime [Orguss is apparently doing a LOT better then ImaginAsian expected, and I don't doubt that lots of older fans with the money to buy it will be flocking to Yawara]. Typically, older titles that have had some exposure in the english anime market before, tend to be more likely to get picked up mind you [though it all depends on the deal] [but stuff like Unico is interesting in that it usually comes prepacked with a dub]
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
Dr. Tezuka did not direct Unico. The first two films (pilot and feature) were directed by the great Toshio Hirata, and the second was by Mami Murano.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Getting something as basic as the director's credit wrong is a bit weird, though perhaps this is because Tezuka Productions gave the company incorrect information (not exactly unheard of). Also, Tezuka tends to be given credit for stuff he didn't direct, like Phoenix 2772 (Taku Sugiyama) and Marine Express (Ozamu Dezaki). Still, this is a film worth getting-- it was one of Sanrio's better forays into animation, and certainly the first great production from MADHOUSE.

Finally, the company's website is ugly and looks like a fan site. I hope their product designs are better... :?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Dr. Tezuka did not direct Unico. The first two films (pilot and feature) were directed by the great Toshio Hirata, and the second was by Mami Murano.

Actually, they all directed the Unico films. Tezuka is credited with kanshū (supervising director) for the first film, while Toshio Hirata is credited with enshutsu (technical director) below him. Technically, neither role is the kantoku, or the director in the auteur sense of Makoto Shinkai or Hayao Miyazaki.

Quote:
I'm cautiously optimistic. Getting something as basic as the director's credit wrong is a bit weird, though perhaps this is because Tezuka Productions gave the company incorrect information (not exactly unheard of). Also, Tezuka tends to be given credit for stuff he didn't direct, like Phoenix 2772 (Taku Sugiyama) and Marine Express (Ozamu Dezaki). Still, this is a film worth getting-- it was one of Sanrio's better forays into animation, and certainly the first great production from MADHOUSE.

Tezuka is also credited as a different kind of executive director (sō-kantoku) on Phoenix 2772 over Sugiyama. Osamu Tezuka and Osamu Dezaki are credited with the same role, enshutsu (technical director), for Marine Express, while Tezuka also has genan (original concept) and kōsei (story direction), and Dezaki adds chief director.

So in Tezuka Production's eyes, all of these staffers directed these films in different capacities.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the excellent explanation, Egan. I'm intrigued by the variety of titles flung around on these productions.

Still, in any case, I'd be much quicker to characterise Unico as a Toshio Hirata film than an Osamu Tezuka one; it has the same quiet grace as stuff like Bobby's Girl and The Golden Bird. Ditto Marine Express and Dezaki, though I have to admit that Phoenix 2772 has Tezuka's crazed fingerprints all over it. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
Oh this is great news!

A student last year made a request for it. So now that's another one to add to the collection. We're not getting just one but TWO -- Unico titles.

This is really great that all these older anime titles are getting released. I hope to see others like this in the future.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
A student last year made a request for it. So now that's another one to add to the collection. We're not getting just one but TWO -- Unico titles.
ANN need to update the news. The 'Coming Soon' section states they have the license for both the 1981 movie Fantastic Adventures of Unico and the 1983 sequel Unico: To The Magic Island.

They don't have the license for the 1979 movie but then the rights belong to a different company and it hasn't even been released on DVD in Japan either.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:

Actually, they all directed the Unico films. Tezuka is credited with kanshū (supervising director) for the first film, while Toshio Hirata is credited with enshutsu (technical director) below him. Technically, neither role is the kantoku, or the director in the auteur sense of Makoto Shinkai or Hayao Miyazaki.
Quote:

Tezuka is also credited as a different kind of executive director (sō-kantoku) on Phoenix 2772 over Sugiyama. Osamu Tezuka and Osamu Dezaki are credited with the same role, enshutsu (technical director), for Marine Express, while Tezuka also has genan (original concept) and kōsei (story direction), and Dezaki adds chief director.

So in Tezuka Production's eyes, all of these staffers directed these films in different capacities.

"Enshutsu" = "animation director" (in these cases). For more on the Japanese terminology, see(This is a topic which has been discussed on occasion by the ANN Encyclopedists.)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

"Enshutsu" = "animation director" (in these cases). For more on the Japanese terminology, see(This is a topic which has been discussed on occasion by the ANN Encyclopedists.)

Enshutsu has various translations, depending on the context of each production and translator. For example, Frazier translates enshutsu as "animation director" or "technical director." AIC uses the term "episode director." (What AIC translates as "animation director" is actually sakuga kantoku, which has still other translations.) Sunrise translates enshutsu as "production supervisor."

Last edited by Egan Loo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3