• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to post after I saw episode 3, but somebody's never been inside a real submarine before. Portholes? There's at least two major problems there. And those were some pretty spacious hallways for a submarine.

Those details aside, it was a good episode. I've got episode 4, but haven't watched it yet.

Edit: Watched episode 4. Why would a hotel have a hallway that makes a turn to a dead end? At least put doors to the rooms in there. And I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I was able to tell about 5 seconds ahead of time that the one goon was about to take a shot to the groin. However, Chiko is badass. This makes up for all the minor flaws.

Finally, I'm kicking myself for taking this long to realize that spoiler[Chiko is the lead girl in the ending credits.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Edit: Watched episode 4. Why would a hotel have a hallway that makes a turn to a dead end? At least put doors to the rooms in there. And I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I was able to tell about 5 seconds ahead of time that the one goon was about to take a shot to the groin. However, Chiko is badass. This makes up for all the minor flaws.

I don't bother questioning these things. When I start to, I remind myself that the first episode started with a heist involving lifting the entire roof off and it had Wolverine with pull-string rockets on his belt. Not to mention the spoiler[100-foot tall tank] in episode two and the spoiler[city-sized airplane] in episode three.

This is one of those shows that you have to just smile and nod at, because real-world logic, physics, and design do not apply.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
But those things I can accept. They have a kind of logic to them that allows me to ignore the physical impossibilities. Having a hotel with a dead end hallway is just unacceptable. I heard once "There are two types of unbelievable: The improbable, and the merely impossible." Locked rooms would have been an easy and acceptable substitute to the random dead-end hallway.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Highlight of Episode 3:

Bwahaha, that is the expression saying that you got OWNED! Twisted Evil

I loved that part. Anime smile

Episode 4 was enjoyable as well. We finally got to see Chiko in action after a year of training. I agree with HitokiriShadow though. You can't fault the show for the dead-end hallway, the portholes in the submarine, etc. because it's obvious that it's not trying to be entirely realistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I am really enjoying this show as well, I love it when a weak character is trained up and becomes awesome, especially when they don't drag it out. Smile

That said, even though I had no problem with roofs lifted off and daring submarine capers, I too was like "Wait.. why would they build a hallway like that?!"

It's funny that something which one would think is so minor is something everyone notices.

They could at least have put a door in the wall, then it wouldn't have looked so weird!

Still, awesome show overall.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5! Oh wow, things are really starting to pick up now! And Chiko is now 13 years old so don't call her a child! Surprised

spoiler[- Chiko in blonde twin-tails.....WOOT! That blue outfit with the short skirt looks good on her, and she can walk and do flips on a tightrope. And with that, she got a fangirl which became her friend. Cool

- Basically the entire gang were pretending to be a circus group in order to be a distraction for their next heist, and that's stealing that stone tablet. There were some complications for Chiko because the girl's father works in security for the museum and not to mention the girl showed Chiko how to sneak in the museum. Yeah, Chiko felt bad stealing from her new friend.

- Though things got pretty bad when Ken got attacked from 20 Faces archenemy, Tiger. Ken's eye got severely injured in the process. With that event, Chiko knew she must fulfill what needs to be done.

- The end of the episode was......whoa! They ended it with a shot of the girl turning "yandere"!Shocked Shocked

I think Chiko got herself a new enemy!]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Got myself up to episode 4. Chiko is up there with the most enjoyable series of the season for me. I ignore any unrealistic details because it's all too much fun. Twenty Faces is so fangirl-worthy, so I can completely relate with Chiko. Wink I'm just surprised that I almost ignored this series because I was worried it wouldn't be all that great. (Should've done that with Oinari-sama.)

Now onto episode 5. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, the last couple seconds of episode 5 were awesome. I totally wasn't expecting that one! Can't wait for episode 6, based upon that alone.

I started watching this one only because of Aya Hirano and it's been quite the pleasant surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, ep. 5 was kind of sad for me because of what darkchibi07 said about spoiler[Chiko's friend basically turning psycho. I really hope she doesn't show up again because of that, but of course that means she has to. But it was nice character development for Chiko.]

I just wonder if we'll see what's going on in the OP and ED fairly soon. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I just wonder if we'll see what's going on in the OP and ED fairly soon. Sad

That's been bugging me too. I enjoy the ED so much that I watch it every episode, but then I wonder as to why the other two ladies are even there. I need to watch the OP again though. I've skipped it since episode two.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6....MY GOD.....!!!!! Shocked Shocked

spoiler[The gang pretty much set up that airship as a decoy since they were making their getaway in a train. Unfortuntely Angie who was in fact working with 20 Faces archenemy Tiger manged to follow them and infiltrate the train. Angie manged to prevent Chiko from warning them so she can have a one-on-one fight with her. It was in that moment where Tiger and his men pretty much slaughter everyone (though I think Ken manged to survive in the end and take out a few of the enemies).

Chiko manged to take her battle against Angie onto the top of train which the snowy winds proved to be slippery for her maneuvers. Things got harsh when the winds got so strong it blew off Angie off the train. I don't think Angie survived that, but who knows.

With Chiko totally devestated with what happened she happened to come across 20 Faces which gave her relief. But then Tiger, who's all shot up from 20 Faces, pulled a flare bomb in which which 20 Faces pushed Chiko in the next car and separated it from the burning car. The episode ended with Chiko witnessing 20 Faces in that car.]

And thus the ED sequence is starting to become a lot more sense! Surprised
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: OH MY GOD!!! Shocked What just happened here?

I had four more episodes of anime that I wanted to watch tonight, but after watching Chiko I just couldn't bring myself to watch anymore. I would have undoubtedly been disappointed, since episode 6 packed quite an emotional punch. It left me in tears, quite frankly.

darkchibi07 wrote:
And thus the ED sequence is starting to become a lot more sense!

Indeed. Given the events of episode 6, I expect that those characters will be appearing soon.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
UWAAH~!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

FUDGE EVERYTHING. This was the best episode yet, but it was also the worst because spoiler[we lost all those guys -- especially my favorite Muta-san!! I hope Twenty Faces is still alive... somehow. I'm pretty sure Ken managed to make it, though. God, the whole time I wanted to punch that Angie girl in the face. I hope she died a horrible death.

Looks like Chiko will end up with that unfortunate man who witnessed everything. He seems nice enough to take her in at least.]

Chiko now goes from an A- in my book to just a point away from an A+. I really, really wish more people were watching this show. Right now it's tied with Kaiba for most exciting show of the season.

Jedi General wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
And thus the ED sequence is starting to become a lot more sense!

Indeed. Given the events of episode 6, I expect that those characters will be appearing soon.

spoiler[We know that one of them is currently working as a maid in Chiko's old home. I wonder how they'll manage to meet up.]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
spoiler[Looks like Chiko will end up with that unfortunate man who witnessed everything. He seems nice enough to take her in at least.]

But he's that spoiler[detective who was hired by Chiko's aunt though. If Chiko were to end up with him, wouldn't she be taken back to her evil aunt?]

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Chiko now goes from an A- in my book to just a point away from an A+. I really, really wish more people were watching this show. Right now it's tied with Kaiba for most exciting show of the season.

I upped my rating from "Very Good" to "Excellent" after episode 6. I can now honestly call this series the "surprise of the Spring season." I decided to watch it because of Aya Hirano playing Chiko (and also because of BONES), but I honestly never expected it would be this good. You're right, more people need to watch this show. It's now my second favorite (behind Kaiba, of course) this season.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
spoiler[We know that one of them is currently working as a maid in Chiko's old home. I wonder how they'll manage to meet up.]

Oh, yes, that's right. I'd forgotten about that.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
spoiler[Looks like Chiko will end up with that unfortunate man who witnessed everything. He seems nice enough to take her in at least.]

But he's that spoiler[detective who was hired by Chiko's aunt though. If Chiko were to end up with him, wouldn't she be taken back to her evil aunt?]

Really? Dang, I didn't even remember his face. Perhaps spoiler[he'll bring Chiko back and that's when she meets the new maid? I just assume that he was on that train to witness all of this mess for a reason, and he and Chiko were the only two left in that last car.

But I'm pretty sure there'll be some kind of time jump soon. (Not necessarily a huge one or anything.)]
Just a guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5