• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Look, I do acknowledge that Taromaru rushing to Yuki's rescue is the one place where the storytelling was stretching a little for dramatic effect, but how things out was not entirely implausible, either., and really, it would also have been pretty implausible to think that Yuki was going to make it through without a little help. Frankly, making a big deal out of that seems like nitpicking to me.

Who's making a big deal out of that? Louis only mentioned it to show how they did that part right.

The question was whether or not Taromarou is dead dead or zombie dead now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
So someone is upset because they could not sympathise with a dog like they would with the human characters in the story. Taromaru's team member designation was "team pet", more than being an active member that you have to feel sorry just for his situation, what is most important is not what he meant like the other characters, but what he meant to them. It is not a total break of a problem in the show if you don't feel sorry for it, but he was a part of each of the girls. Would you even recognise that Taromaru was added into the anime?

From the beginning we have Yuki and Miki chase after him which is the first episodes plot. He was with them on the test of courage, including a part that he knew something was wrong. He is really with Miki the longest in from Z-day, helping her meet the others, and attempts to befriend him are throughout the series, just recently managing to really be close to him. Even the topic of the pool was mostly directed by Taromaru getting dirty and such. He was something they were always interacting with, it did not matter if he was cartoonish.

The entire anime really about these things typical for a totally different story, and being used for a different role. Yuki is not just an energetic girl, she is a third year high schooler who ran around with a childish pink backpack with wings and cat hat, the flashback even showed her as being seen as rather silly. And she is arguably the most scary part. Just like the tough girl is really afraid, the bookworm the most needed to understand, and at parts towards the end it looks like the dependable team mum was actually becoming a bit unstable. It is easy to not care about the dog if you see in the zombie apocalypse sense of most likely to die, but he was also something they played with, dressed up, and cuddled.

I think there is some interesting ideas from the article "Why Clannad Made You Cry", that say something about needing to drop your expectation that something bad is going to happen, that really does not work if you are not.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
So I was supposed to feel bad for the girls, not Taroumaru? I feel like that might have worked better if they treated him like an actual dog. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have to be as developed and beloved as... well, freakin' Iggy, but you could have him stop being happy all the time. I swear, aside from when Miki yelled at him, he was perpetually smiling.

One reason that I don't think that the "girls felt bad so you should empathize" thing worked for me is the same reason that I felt nothing when the girls in Clannad cried in episode 19 of season one after realizing that Tomoya loved Nagisa. The girls here, aside from Yuki's delusions and Miki, felt like one big, lighthearted joke that wasn't really funny to me. I get why they were like that, to show their innocence and friendship, but to me, that stretched on way too much to the point that it felt artificial. They felt like they were just as much "non-characters" as Taroumaru was until push really came to shove. Had there been more scenes of the girls... say, wondering how their families were doing when sitting alone in a corner before being comforted by Taroumaru's presence, or even if we got to see the terror of the dog when he was bitten by zombie!Megu-nee, I would sympathize with the girls' precious source of happiness being taken from them in the end.

While the manga has similar problems at times, I feel like if the anime had shown the events of Megu-nee's death in more detail rather than simply alluding to it, I could have gotten more attached to the characters. Instead, it keeps dodging the question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't possibly feel the intended emotions that the writers wanted you to. If you felt emotional attachment to anyone but Miki (and Yuki once her delusions are brought into question), good for you. I'm glad you got more out of this than I did.

As for me though, I'm going with the very unpopular opinion that High School of the Dead was the better show for me. Sure, it was more cliched, but at the same time, I feel like if one of those characters died, I'd care way more. The two are different shows, but I prefer a serious show with a lot of comedy over a comedic show that's only serious some of the time.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Pretty funny. Almost as much as ROAD ROLLER DA!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14