• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I mean it is blatantly impossible. Anyone from movement-based competitive sports can confirm that there is no way spoiler[how untrained left can beat trained right among high class players (especially a Queen contender, in case of karuta)].

This does not exclude, of course, other issues with the show. However, those other issues could be debatable, while the fact that I mentioned can not be denied. There is no information case of that happen, ever, in any speed-and-accuracy-dependent sport that has professional level players. spoiler[even untrained right is distinctly better than left; let alone trained right.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
She's injured. Japan as a culture are very sympathetic when it comes to injuries. Chihaya took that as her advantage. Remember that even Harada-sensei mentioned that.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
That is different match. The girl with spoiler[the white band] was trying her best with no hesitation spoiler[unlike red-hair girl, which injured Chihaya].

The difference in hearing, of course, might exist, but in super-pro level game it is supertiny, so sloppy, untrained spoiler[hand] can not do anything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
The girl with the headband was never a Queen contender. She was Class A, but there exists a vast gulf of skill in Class A. Shinobu can beat Chihaya by twenty-three cards, and if Chihaya hadn't been injured she could have beaten the headband girl by double-digits as well with ease. Headband girl didn't have a hope in hell of winning the individual highschool tournament, whereas Chihaya is the fourth strongest high-school-age kid in Japan behind Arata, Shinobu and Megumi. You only think headband girl was strong because she boasted that she wanted to beat Megumi, but that was a pipe dream.

Chihaya only just beat her, it wasn't like it was one-sided. They did show Chihaya struggling badly and then only just managing to close out the match; it could have gone either way. What allowed her to be competitive was better hearing which allowed her to start moving before her opponent, better natural reflexes, a better covering game and a better strategy. Plus headband girl as a right-hander was open to attack on certain cards. Chihaya was conversely open to attack on other cards as her left arm wasn't fast enough to defend them.

There's no need to nitpick one little thing when you haven't talked about the huge and fundamental problems with season two that made it vastly inferior to the first season.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
No-no, whole set-up was a fake: Chihaya was shown really struggling only before she came up with idea of spoiler[mirroring cards placements. But even this in real life does not work since opposite sides of the brain control opposite hands. You can mirror whatever, but if your hand is not trained there is no way you will take out a card against Queen-contender A-class player.]

Other issues are argueable, but not this one. This never happened in real life on advanced level, ever; outrageously blatant BS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16