• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 2 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Post erased because a certain person seems to have forgotten that he is banned from posting further in this thread. - Key]

Last edited by MUSAWE on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Uhh...Musawe, I think you forgot to actually respond to my post...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:

If you watch this show because it is idiotic, campy and nonsensical then that's fine but please don't seriously trying to argue that it is well written or that if you don't find the constant plot devices to be all that interesting then you must obviously have a robot heart and can't understand empathy.

That was a comment on the "beep boop I do not understand how people can enjoy things that I do not" nature of the conversation we were having, not the show itself.

You sound really angry about this though and I don't really want to argue about this show anymore, so I'm outie.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[flashback episode to tell us important backstory. And yes, not telling us Homura's history upfront was blatantly done for maximum dramatic effect.]

Which didn't work work because I don't care about the characters because I do not relate to their one-note personalities and their unchangeable unquestioning natures.

Quote:
Thanks, but no thanks.

You don't like to try new things? And why aren't you answering my questions?

Quote:
No, you are saying "Tutu/Tatami/Whatever" did things a certain way, and Madoka didn't, and thus the way Madoka did it is wrong.

They did something that worked for me vs. something that didn't. So yes, I'm saying Madoka did something wrong. It really has nothing to do with whatever I compare it too; the fact that something else overshadowed Madoka's efforts is the point. Tutu deconstructed classical storytelling under the guise of being a magical girl; Madoka, the magical girl formula. They deconstruct in novel ways; that's how they relate to me.
Do you not know how to take your experiences and use them to judge shows that have similarities?
Madoka may not do everything the EXACT same way to justify COMPLETE comparisons but for it being made this late in anime history, to deserve top honors for excelling in covering new ground, in a whole new way... I just 100% disagree.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:
[EDIT: Post erased because a certain person seems to have forgotten that he is banned from posting further in this thread. - Key]

Zac wrote:
I think I need to change the language filter so the F word now becomes 'Fencedude'.

Do it! Immortalize his name on this forum!
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Good god, I cannot wait until CR has episodes 9, 10, 11, and 12 on there so I can see just what is behind all these black walls of text.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Which didn't work work because I don't care about the characters because I do not relate to their one-note personalities and their unchangeable unquestioning natures.

And...thats a personal problem. It worked for thoudands upon thousands of other people.

Quote:

You don't like to try new things? And why aren't you answering my questions?

I tried Tatami when it aired. Didn't like it, didn't continue watching because I was watching other things. Don't have any desire to go back and try it again.

I don't feel like writing up an in-depth list of my favorites. Sorry.

Quote:
the fact that something else overshadowed Madoka's efforts is the point.

That is not a fact, that is an opinion. Not the same thing.

Quote:
Tutu deconstructed classical storytelling under the guise of being a magical girl; Madoka, the magical girl formula. They deconstruct in novel ways; that's how they relate to me.

And Madoka...is a Magical Girl show. Its not trying to "deconstruct" something else. Its just...what it is. It deconstructs and then reconstructs its genre, all within the course of 12 episodes. This is why the Tutu comparison is silly. Tutu uses a Magical Girl framework to deconstruct fairy tales and classical storytelling. Madoka is a Magical Girl show that deconstructs Magical Girl shows, then reconstructs it right back up. Completely and totally different things.

Quote:
Do you not know how to take your experiences and use them to judge shows that have similarities?

Yes, but thats not what you are doing.

Quote:
Madoka may not do everything the EXACT same way to justify COMPLETE comparisons but for it being made this late in anime history, to deserve top honors for excelling in covering new ground, in a whole new way... I just 100% disagree.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense.
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
They did something that worked for me vs. something that didn't. So yes, I'm saying Madoka did something wrong.

Two can play at this game, you know? Madoka's way worked for me so there's definitely something wrong with you.

Quote:

Madoka Magica's road to glory lay more in excellent execution and precise timing than innovation or originality. I strongly disagree with those who claim it to be "revolutionary" and find such claims irritating because it spawns protests such as yours just now.

[EDIT: Part of post dealing with MUWASE's deleted comments removed. - Key]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:

Hence her being near useless. That particular revelation could have happened a number of different ways and really wasn't particular to just her character.

Uh huh. Sure. And you totally wouldn't be here whining about it regardless.

Quote:
They would have found out sooner or later

Most magical girls never find out.

Quote:
and Sakuya didn't need her to deal with the repercussions of her wish.

Uhh...yes, she did. Thats the entire point of her character. See my previous post in response to Otaking. Look for the one about "THE POINT". Sayaka's experience is relevant for what the entire point of the show is.

Quote:
Also, I criticize her eating because they beat the viewer over the head with it. spoiler[She went hungry once and now she eats absolutely all the time see? Isn't this sad!?]. Just because you are fine with bad writing doesn't mean it is "fine".

Yes, they beat us over the head with it by...bringing it up exactly once. Yes she is eating all the time, so what? That isn't "bringing it up", its a character quirk, a personality tic, whatever. It is only actually commented on when Sayaka tosses the apple to the ground.

Quote:
Wrong. The show is horribly paced and THAT is the reason why they had "limited time".

They had precisely 288 minutes, some of which was used for the OP and ED. That is not an enormous amount of time. I'm really unsure what you think better pacing would be, since the show is notable for not wasting any of its limited runtime.

Quote:

I'm sure you can tell me that as there are millions of girls out there who would also tell me that twilight is neither idiotic, campy nor nonsensical.

And they'd be wrong. On the other hand, the comparison is really dumb, and just further emphasizes that this is nothing more than a massive chip on your shoulder. Even more than Otaking and Monster in a Box, you have brought nothing to this discussion other than misplaced aggression, spite and derision that anyone could like something you don't.

Unless you manage to come up with something better, I will not be responding to your further posts.

I'm sure we will meet again in the Volume 3 thread.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh god. We were finally getting back to a normal discussion, and now we're back to another flame war. Neutral

Normally, I'd try to mediate this discussion, but it's gone way too far.

Look, can we all just accept that people have their own opinions on this anime?

Otaking09 wrote:

Ok, this is a really big understatement. Madoka really did cover new ground as much as, if not more than, Princess Tutu. But more than anything, it was the superb execution of the concept, story, and characters that made Madoka the anime everyone loves today. Declaring otherwise is just plain pretentious. There's a reason Madoka deserves alot of praise, and not just for deconstructing and reconstructing the Magical Girl formula, but for treading across uncomfortable territory.

I'm getting tried of standing by. It's time for me to express my opinion for once. Let me tell you why I love Madoka - it's the same reason why I love anime like Clannad, FMA, Durarara, Toradora, and Usagi Drop - Madoka is an anime that tries to be more than just an anime. It tries to be art.

True art in anime comes from tackling difficult and controversial topics. All the best and most enjoyable anime out there have done so and have celebrated for it. Topics like love, relationships, death, suicide, war, genocide, sexuality, hatred – they’ve become critically acclaimed worldwide, and rightfully so. They dared to explore humanity’s best and darkest sides; the true and ugly realities of the human condition. They venture into uncomfortable territory, and find the truth hidden from within. This is the stuff art is made of. What is there about anime that disqualifies it from exploring this harsh territory? What is it about Madoka that disqualifies it from being this? How is it that Princess Tutu can be considered this, and Madoka is not when it's considerably at the same level?

Last edited by KentaMaeba on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:
spoiler[However, there was nothing to suggest any time traveling or somesuch.]

I know I said I wouldn't respond, but that is HIIILARIOUS.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:

Anyway, falling back to this.

spoiler[
Mami's death - reveal of what it means to be a magical girl in this world, not just to the audience but to Madoka, resulting in hesitation and postpones her choice of becoming one.

Kyoko - Sayaka's foil who has a distinctly un-magical-girl-like philosophy towards their trade. Influences Sayaka's development greatly, gives Madoka advice and encourages her not to throw away her everyday life without good reason. This, among other things, later promts Madoka to broaden her views and search for that "good reason".

Homura and her personality - evident signs of PTSD. Oh, and she, you know, kickstarted the whole story.

Sayaka - this was actual good drama revolving around an existential
crysis with good reasons backing it, unlike the emo teen angst we get most of the time.

The sci-fi twist - just what is so "dramatic" about it? It gave rationalization for the magical girl system, as good an explanation as any other. Would it be better if it had employed fantasy terms instead, naming it a guardian spirit of some kind and saying magical girls bear the burden of humanity's sins? Actually, you know, that would be hilarious in the context of enforcing the "Madoka died for our sins" meme.
]

Quote:
It is worse than the absolute worst sci-fi shithouse novellas I've read and let me tell you I've read quite a bit of those.

It's also not science fiction. Your argument is invalid.

Last edited by Ferian on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 25