• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So-Ra-No-Wo-To (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Ghhnnn. Gnnnngghhh...
That's about all I can say about most almost the entire episode. Also, it is in moments like this that I especially love my avatar.

The deal with Kannagi was especially overdone... Though I shouldn't have expected anything from this type of series. You know it's bad when you start sympathising with cliché bad military types (sort of like in Avatar).
Yes, several scenes by themselves are beautiful, but they sink in the utterly childish and (as has been pointed out) predictable content.

Conclusion: falls short of the mark instead of improving.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
The Dreaming Void wrote:

also, i have a feeling this anime is really going to end up in fighting. With it being a moe anime, and a lot of the previous episodes being moe fest, I don't really hold any hope. But the little hope i have, goes to Battle Razz.
On the other hand, Moe is not that bad either...Just make sure it doesn't get too much, or too worse. And all will (Should) be well.

Don't worry, music will save the day! You saw how much Kanata moe'd out when the scout played Amazing Grace.

spoiler[WOW. I was dead on. Even with the Amazing Grace]. That's so sad...

Well, the show was pretty good, though now that I've seen the spider tank in action I want more pew pew.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
Well, the show was pretty good, though now that I've seen the spider tank in action I want more pew pew.

Seeing the spider tank in action was, I'll agree, one of the series' biggest highlights. spoiler[Damn, that thing kicks major-league butt!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
I want to rewatch the series this weekend before saying too much but overall I have to say I quite liked the series. I'd say the biggest weakness of these final couple episodes was the presence of the warmonger colonel. A villain character like that, a cliche from another series, is what really didn't fit into the show. If they had worked it differently so the warring factions were on the edge of battle simply because it's war and the two sides were about to fight anyway than the girl's stand against the battle and war in general would have been a stronger statement. As it was, it was a fight against "the bad guy." The show wasn't about bad guys, it was about the general degraded state of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I want to rewatch the series this weekend before saying too much but overall I have to say I quite liked the series. I'd say the biggest weakness of these final couple episodes was the presence of the warmonger colonel. A villain character like that, a cliche from another series, is what really didn't fit into the show. If they had worked it differently so the warring factions were on the edge of battle simply because it's war and the two sides were about to fight anyway than the girl's stand against the battle and war in general would have been a stronger statement. As it was, it was a fight against "the bad guy." The show wasn't about bad guys, it was about the general degraded state of the world.

I agree with this. I feel like they could have just gone into more of the lore about the Angels event and possibly figure out what was up with the boxes. spoiler[If they wanted to they could have still done the Roman attack thing and have Rio stop them, but they didn't need ol Crazy General. His name wasn't even that good. WR Hawk? Really? War Hawk? As in someone who likes bringing wars to fruition? How incredibly boring, especially as that is what his character did. ]

Speaking of the boxes, spoiler[they never explained why they turned red when the Romans passed by them. Security system or something, I suppose. But still, seeing as we were told NOTHING about them, it would have been good to at least add some kind of explanation -.-]

Key wrote:
Niomo wrote:

Seeing the spider tank in action was, I'll agree, one of the series' biggest highlights. spoiler[Damn, that thing kicks major-league butt!]

"Ancient" (Eg Advanced) Technology usually does that Razz MOAR please! Very Happy
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
Speaking of the boxes, spoiler[they never explained why they turned red when the Romans passed by them. Security system or something, I suppose. But still, seeing as we were told NOTHING about them, it would have been good to at least add some kind of explanation -.-]

No explanation needed, the boxes spoiler[seem to have alerted the army HQ(?) back in the capital Very Happy]

but still, damn that tank was awesome...it immediately made me look for millitary anime xD
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
Give the tank its own series IMO. It looked very cool when compared to the boxy AT-ATesque tanks everyone else had. Kinda seemed to be getting its ass kicked a little bit to much though (More KABOOM! was necessary)

But as for the conclusion, i could go off and say the same thing as everyone else about how predictable the ending was, and nearly every element could be predicted. However im fine with that and i really liked the ending.

Why? Because i dont hope that every show is going to be groundbreaking and revolutionary, humanity isnt that creative. When watching a series like this, youll enjoy things a whole lot more if you let yourself get pulled into the story and the emotions present, rather than having unrealistic expectations.

This is also the reason i have nothing against moe, if it makest he story work why hate on it...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
But as for the conclusion, i could go off and say the same thing as everyone else about how predictable the ending was, and nearly every element could be predicted. However im fine with that and i really liked the ending.

Why? Because i don't hope that every show is going to be groundbreaking and revolutionary, humanity isnt that creative. When watching a series like this, youll enjoy things a whole lot more if you let yourself get pulled into the story and the emotions present, rather than having unrealistic expectations.

This is also the reason i have nothing against moe, if it makest he story work why hate on it...

Believe me, I wasn't looking for anything groundbreaking or revolutionary - I just wanted to be emotionally engaged and I wasn't for reasons I and others have already mentioned. Heck, the finale of Chu-Bra!!, which was a far inferior show, did a much better job of earning its emotional response than Sora Nowoto did. I watched the second to last eppie of Kobato this morning and was bawling like a baby.

Endings are tricky beasts. Sometimes a show lands a good one and sometimes it doesn't. But yes, we can all agree that the Spider Tank kicked acres of ass.
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Geuss its just different people respoding to different things, i personally was happy with the endings delivery becasue its EXACTLY what i expected. But i can watch most anything and be satisfied a long as the story dosent go off on some weird tangent and go swirling down the toilet.

Perhaps the fact that i respond to sound may also have something to do with it. I want that song on my IPOD now...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:

I got the impression no-one actually knew how to work them, checking on them was just written into the rules as something they had to do, so they kept doing it even through they didn't actually understand what they were doing and there was no real point in doing it anyway (hence, while it was sold to Kanata as being serious business, it was really just an excuse for an outing and a trip to the hot spring).
I remember a story about a.. mentally disadvantaged couple (I can't remember their specific condition), who were let out into the community. Someone went to check up on them and found them eating raw chicken. They had been told to put it in the oven for x amount of time, which they did - they just didn't turn the oven on first. There's also that story of a about a particular spot in some palace gardens that had a guard posted there for generations and when someone wondered about it and checked into why, it turned out some princess had ordered someone to guard a flower or something and they'd been doing it ever since. Actually, I'm beginning to thing that came from Babylon 5 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on a real story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
catstigereye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
as far as ending went the tank was neat! nice and the fact that it ended the way it did for me was nice. I would have to see the unreleased parts before saying anything overall.
Dolza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
While this was not the Citizen Kane of anime, it was an enjoyable way to spend some time.
I really loved the background art (as seen in the end credits.)

Last edited by Dolza on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Give the tank its own series IMO.

I was actually thinking this on my way home. I will expand:

Make a Sequel/Prequel of how the world was before/during the angels came down and WTFPWNT everyone. No moe required, as it would be a pure action/military shonen.

It would make a lot of the "There are no fish in the ocean" comments as well as giving us a more full understanding of how the world WAS, and dispel some of the mystery in Sora. Like those boxes.

And of course some more epic Spider Tank PEW PEW AWESOME.
wombat6025

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I agree with all the comments on the cliche evil Colonel character; and especially how his character detracts from war in general being the 'baddy'.

Given the corner they were painted into by episode 10 (with no apparant plot) they did a pretty good job at injecting some pace into the story (and giving an excuse to roll-out the spider tank Cool).

I'm a sucker for moe and a nice tidy ending but this is another series that left me feeling a little let down as it had promised so much more...
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Got around to finishing the series this week. Really enjoyed it and the ending could have been much, much worse than it was.

That said, my BS meter was in the red for most of the last episode.

I also was cringing at how overdone some of the dramatics came across in this episode--I dunno; I'd been pretty onboard with most of the emotional moments in the show until here, but this episode was kinda pushing it.

But even then I can't hate too hard on the last episode, for a few reasons:

1 - There was very little in the way of deus ex machina here; most "major" things that happened had been hinted at or foreshadowed or fell within the frame of previously shown events and/or themes (spoiler[such as the tank being rebuilt, going into battle, Amazing Grace + Rio saving the day [war being stopped], Kanata being Kanata]).

2 - Tank-kun.

3 - I liked how they incorporated the myth back into the current story (though I was still disapointed overall with how it turned into a questionable and unexplored religious element right at the end).

4 - Tank-kun!

Anyway, I enjoyed Sora no Woto for what I thought it would be, what it was, and even what it wasn't (as in, it surprised me a few times, so I enjoyed hoping that it might do so again). A+ on background art, setting, atmosphere, detail, and music. Pacing was uneven but not terrible, aside from a few bits that had a wiff of filler, but then again it really is more of a slice of life show with the theme of "finding your place in the world" (and AMAZING GRACE) than it is a war story. Characters were probably SnW's weakest point, but I guess because I went into it expecting canned anime personalities, I was pleasantly surprised when there was more to them than that, in a few cases (aka, not Kanata).

I'd really like to see more done with this world and backstory that they've built up in Sora no Woto, because it was really interesting.

Also, I'm not sure if someone has linked these yet or not, but for those of you (like me) that didn't join the following on /a/, the episode fact/speculation charts were really interesting to take a look at after watching the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19