• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsuiro Kiseki (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@dirkusbirkus - I don't feel this show is infantile or that it's aimed at a younger audience than would be normal for a series of this type. I actually was pretty engaged by the dilemma of this latest episode (episode 3) which is about the poor kid who has seen something incredible and nobody will believe him. I like how that dynamic played out and how it was eventually resolved. It would be helpful if you explained more why you think NK is infantile as opposed to just making a declarative judgment without any supporting rationale.

Sure thing. It's the sort of things they've been 'facing' thus far, I think. Episode One, two friends fall out. Granted, something like having a friend move away is something even adults would find hard, but the fallout was pretty childish. Episode Two, they get stuck together and learn to work as a team to overcome this. That's pretty simplistic. Episode Three, two elementary students fall out so the girls fix it for them. This is all stuff I'd expect to see on that show with the big purple dinosaur (Barney?). Sure, it's life lessons, but they're things most people deal with pretty early in life.

As I said, I don't get this feeling from the vast majority of anime I watch so it really niggles when it does occur. It might just be down to the fact I don't really feel any depth or connection to the girls, so I'm being overly harsh on the 'dilemmas', I certainly can't rule it out. I did say I might have been alone in feeling it was infantile, so don't be taking offense now, y'hear?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm enjoying this show how can I not be offended by your characterization of it as infantile? In your opinion, I am enjoying an infantile show. Oh gee, no offense taken. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, whether I'm offended or not is really neither here nor there. I was actually interested in seeing if you had something to back up your opinion, and as far as I can see, you don't. What I'm getting from you is that you don't really like the characters (with the possible exception of Yuka) and you find the pace slow and the situations presented so far uninteresting. Okay, fair enough. I don't see how that translates into infantile, though. This is meant to be, among other things, a light comedy and I don't see its tone being pitched any younger than a typical show in this genre. But hey, I clearly like infantile shows, so what do I know?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh you Laughing

Do I need to reiterate once more that I'm possibly the ONLY person who is finding it infantile? I said it in both my last posts. The issue lies with me; I'm not sure how more explicit you want me to be about that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I caught that the first time. I generally assume when a poster expresses an opinion he or she is speaking only for him or herself. What fascinates me is why you think using a pejorative term like "infantile" would not be offensive to anyone who likes the show?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
That was the word that came to mind when I tried to think of why I didn't like the show, for the reasons I gave. I mentioned it as an afterthought, it certainly wasn't meant to be the main thrust of the post by any stretch. It's also why I didn't elaborate on it til you asked me to, I know full well my issues with the show are my own, so it's pointless trying to impose my own (admittedly skewed) opinion. Me saying the show is infantile in my eyes is in no way a slur against people watching and enjoying. More power to you guys, it's just not my bag.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh well then, if you didn't mean for a pejorative term like infantile to be offensive, then I guess that's okay then, right? I mean, you wouldn't have wanted to bother finding a less provocative way to phrase your opinion, eh? Where's the fun in that?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with both of you.

I'm enjoying the show. At the same time, I can definitely see where dirkusbirkus is coming from. The problems the girls face are pretty childish, and hard to care about. I remember having a response like it for Wandering Son, where it felt like the show wanted me to genuinely care about the struggles some kids face to overcome some incredibly trivial (now that I'm older) issues (not gender issues, but "writing a play" issues). For this show, though, I don't really think engaging with the problems is a necessity for enjoying this show. The problems are not the show, they're the excuse for the girls to do things.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh well then, if you didn't mean for a pejorative term like infantile to be offensive, then I guess that's okay then, right? I mean, you wouldn't have wanted to bother finding a less provocative way to phrase your opinion, eh? Where's the fun in that?

Nono, you've got me wrong, I wasn't being provocative at all. I'm much more blatant when I want to be provocative. I genuinely mentioned it in passing. I don't butt heads with people unless they've annoyed me for whatever reason; I suspect you're the same. My use of the word annoyed you, and you got angry, fair enough. I instantly devalued the opinion anyway, I don't see too many people getting offended over something I've already admitted is my own personal problem. Rolling Eyes

But hey, it's cool, dtm's out of action, if you need a punchbag, I'm here for you big guy Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I will not be satisfied until you apologize for being born and send me a cheque for $1,392.14. Wink
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Shucks, I'm like, twelve cents short. Guess you're just going to have to carry on hating my each and every word Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Not enough yuri.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Are you surly and in an early fury that there wasn't enough yuri or did you cry until your vision was blurry (like it would if you ate spicy curry in a hurry)?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Are you surly and in an early fury that there wasn't enough yuri or did you cry until your vision was blurry (like it would if you ate spicy curry in a hurry)?

Damn that is confusing me, it is like I am rying to read one of those hard authers which the purpose is is poetic. My mind is sparking at the possible meanings of the words.

Also I read "fury" as "furry", another way that the internet has ruined my understanding of english words.

Perhaps I have just been watching so many other heavy things that the slight stuff was beyond my standard sight. I guess I will stick to fan art to look for my yuri fix, just like I have with certain magical girls.

Also possible shota moments too, not as big fan of that though.
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Well in episode four there was a strong indication that at least one of the characters has that kind of inclination, although it doesn't look like it will actually lead to any yuri at this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah we have one who has a crush on their cousin, and another who seems to like one of the members of the idol group.

Actually it was kind of fun with the spoiler[body swap seeing characters still follow their usual traits in the others body like being stoic and energetic.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6