• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect Staff Issues Statements on Performer's Treatment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
So, if the dude in question posted a big article saying "Its no big, I was surprised but not really upset and all the people involved are my friends", what's the big deal?

I don't understand why anyone would assume they 'made' him write that. If he was really miserable about it, wouldn't he denounce the whole thing, say they were all jerks, and then quit the project? I mean, why not just assume the logical thing - that he's telling the truth and it's no big deal.

Honestly, people care way too much about this sort of thing. There always has to be a conspiracy or some overly dramatic act. Yeah, it was a dumb thing for the PR people to do in the first place, but if everyone involved is like "Whoa, calm down people, it's no big deal" then it's probably no big deal and everyone should shut up and just enjoy watching the show (which is quite good).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would assume they 'made' him write that. If he was really miserable about it, wouldn't he denounce the whole thing, say they were all jerks, and then quit the project?
Perhaps he likes employment.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
So, if the dude in question posted a big article saying "Its no big, I was surprised but not really upset and all the people involved are my friends", what's the big deal?

I don't understand why anyone would assume they 'made' him write that. If he was really miserable about it, wouldn't he denounce the whole thing, say they were all jerks, and then quit the project? I mean, why not just assume the logical thing - that he's telling the truth and it's no big deal.

Honestly, people care way too much about this sort of thing. There always has to be a conspiracy or some overly dramatic act. Yeah, it was a dumb thing for the PR people to do in the first place, but if everyone involved is like "Whoa, calm down people, it's no big deal" then it's probably no big deal and everyone should shut up and just enjoy watching the show (which is quite good).

In Japan was seen some sort of minor scuffle between peers and co-workers...

But Japan isn't the only place with such problems. But bullying becoming more and more of big issues, as well as suicide cases because kids have been bullied by their peers at school; the producer and staff members of Kokooro Connect slandered the internet (places like 2ch) for such thing. Trying to cover it up doesn't solve the problem, then just adding more fuel to the fire.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Exaar wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would assume they 'made' him write that. If he was really miserable about it, wouldn't he denounce the whole thing, say they were all jerks, and then quit the project?

Perhaps he likes employment.

This is the man's career, his livelihood.

So, no, he's going to say or do whatever it takes to save face and smooth things over in this matter.

Don't blame him at all.

Mark Gosdin
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
My take on this is: considering how the show staff seems to like ripping off kyoani, it basically sounds like they wanted to give him a Minoru Shiraishi type role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utauyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Whether you believe it or not, the sale of disc will flop and the author of the series is a victim,too
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
My take on this is: considering how the show staff seems to like ripping off kyoani, it basically sounds like they wanted to give him a Minoru Shiraishi type role.

What? That makes no sense. Goddamn.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kenji_Ikari wrote:

What? That makes no sense. Goddamn.

Reality vs. Fantasy situation being all too real:

Basically a real life person who plays himself on the series, which the person is anime character as part of the cast. In which, what have entire Kokoro Connect Staff have announced to be doing from Episode 14 and onwards; as they are helplessly still trying to smooth out situation that backfired on themselves in order to keep the show running, and trying to make their fans happy again.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kokoro Connect is probably my second favorite anime that started this season (behind Sword Art Online). It's really a great series, and it sucks that this is having such a huge negative impact. I know this pretty much kills any hope for a second season, but I hope it doesn't kill the US release as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
I know this pretty much kills any hope for a second season, but I hope it doesn't kill the US release as well.

I can't imagine Sentai giving a flying toss about this "controversy."
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I am sorely tempted to buy the Japanese editions, lack of subtitles be damned, just to spite the boycotters.

Let's see... CDJapan would charge ~¥52,110 if I made them all one order and went SAL registered... but that might be a bit much to swallow all at once, especially if the exchange rate continues to decay...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kinda sad that this scandal is gonna kill Kokoros sales in Japan, ruining any chance of a 2nd season it might have had. But hey, otakus taking bullying seriously, so its to be expected.

It has already killed the sales to the point that kokoro went from 5000 pre-orders on the first bluray down to 900. I really suggest not bullying or making a mockery of others for "durr hurr pranks". Also there was more on this issue that ann hasn't covered such as Mitsuhiro Ichiki liking KitaEri. The producer being a huge dic* about him liking her then getting friend zoned by Eri Kitamura and the producer when they start dating. Yeah it's been a fun mess to set back and watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The stuff with Kitaeri was hypocritical and downright nasty. However not all the fans who were upset at this issue were the ones responsible for that.

And from what I understand that wasn't 2ch but some trolls on /a/ or people trying to make /a/ look bad from what I've been told (but I have no idea).

However I don't think people being upset over this situation is overreaction. I am glad that Japanese fans are saying we aren't going to support this kind of thing.

I think involving people like Kitaeri and the author of the novels is an overrection & very wrong. However, I don't think boycotting the series is, if that is what they feel is right. It's their money and they can support or not support a show however they see fit.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I think involving people like Kitaeri and the author of the novels is an overrection & very wrong. However, I don't think boycotting the series is, if that is what they feel is right. It's their money and they can support or not support a show however they see fit.

Kitamura Eri has no involvement with Kokoro Connect.

But believe, it was the same producer Yamanaka which pulled the similar stunt like this from two years ago, which did involved Kitamura Eri and Mitsuhiro Ichiki. Which why they were being called on, particularly the producer being a fault for being an asshole that pulling pranks like this is considered funny, which isn't the slightest.

I don't think the manga and light novels be impacted as much as DVD/Blu-Ray which has already tanked to the bottom of the barrow due said producer and seiyuu involvement in the fisaco.

Last edited by bradc on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The stuff with Kitaeri was hypocritical and downright nasty. However not all the fans who were upset at this issue were the ones responsible for that.

And from what I understand that wasn't 2ch but some trolls on /a/ or people trying to make /a/ look bad from what I've been told (but I have no idea).

However I don't think people being upset over this situation is overreaction. I am glad that Japanese fans are saying we aren't going to support this kind of thing.

I know this one since I'm long time lurker.. It was /a/ raiding Kitaeri twitter account by posting a endless pics of di*** to the point she had to delete her account. Yeah people can do what ever they see fit by doing these actions. One thing I do want to point out is this, hopefully sentai got the blu-ray rights before this mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7