• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nyan Koi! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well my internet is up to speed again and thus I am with this anime. I'm still getting laughs out of it so I'll follow it along, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it has become a harem. I was somewhat hoping that for a change, the childhood friend might just stay that. I like the female lead and thus hate this whole "she must become super jealous to realise she's in love with him" thing that's been done to death (I, too, am sick of the harem formula). In any case, The comedy aspect is still holding me to it for now (I really like the awkward cat missions, but they need to keep throwing them in/keeping them important, otherwise this is just going to become another trashy highschool lovecom that everyone loves to hate).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I decided to start the series recently. Watched episode 2 a few hours ago, and since I'm on a reading week I plan on catching up on it (all two episodes Wink )

It's been an enjoyable enough series so far, and the cats are cute. It obvious it isn't going to be an amazing series, but it's quite cute and amusing so far. Also from episode 2 I like Sumiyoshi as I can be a sucker for tomboys/childhood friends...and she's a mixture of both Laughing
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
i take back what i said spoiler[track captain is a girl. and this show is definitely a harem Anime hyper at least the show is enjoyable!]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So we're on Ep 5 now and still no cat stuff going on. What a bummer. I mean, the episode was interesting and they're definitely progressing what I'm perceiving as the main love theme, but there was nothing about the curse until the very very end. I feel like it's losing energy.

Could this be the calm before the storm?

I'm hoping that the twin that just popped up at the end revives the paranormal aspect of this series. It looks like she's going to. But, if someone finds out about the curse, isn't he supposed to be like turned into a cat immediately or something? And maybe she knows about it??? So wouldn't that mean that the cat's out of the bag? (I know, bad pun.)

Anyways, about the love theme. I'm starting to get the feeling that he's not going to end up with Mizuno. It seems like, after spoiler[the tomboy tells her how Kousaka feels about her, Mizuno starts evaluating how she feels about him and realizes that she's had a big misunderstanding. However, her embarrassment doesn't seem to come from knowing that the boy she likes also likes her. It seems as if she is more embarrassed because, maybe she has never thought about him that way to start with. The director has also chosen to give a lot of camera time to the childhood friend throughout this episode, even though the main character's focus was supposed to be on Mizuno. Every now and then, Kousaka would realize that his friend enemy was acting strangely. Maybe he will have feelings for her if she tones it down a bit? I have a strong feeling that Mizuno, though caring will reject him.]

We're almost halfway through this thing and I'm feeling like it's losing drive. Delightful and funny, but quickly heading toward the lower portion of my anime list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Though I have this strong feeling that he won't end up with any of the girls in the end. But that's just me.
Either way. Harem. Harem. Harem. Yes, that describes what I'm sick of watching. I didn't expect this show going so deeply into the harem territory. Hopefully, yes, hopefully, we won't get as much harem as we did during this episode. Never mind Kampfer, I don't want to see this anime going down the same path as well.
Now, [probably] back on its track next episode... eh, with what the anime is the best at: his curse and his allergy to cats.

Last edited by egoist on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm not so sure about Kousaka not ending up with Mizuno. She does seem to have feelings for him, it's just that by nature she is very shy and timid. Although, if I was Kousaka, I'd be all over the childhood friend. Man, what a set of boobie-bombs! Plus, she's energetic and high-spirited...so much more interesting than that whole shy, timid thing.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, I'm not so sure about Kousaka not ending up with Mizuno. She does seem to have feelings for him, it's just that by nature she is very shy and timid. Although, if I was Kousaka, I'd be all over the childhood friend. Man, what a set of boobie-bombs! Plus, she's energetic and high-spirited...so much more interesting than that whole shy, timid thing.

Agreed!

The childhood friend is a MUCH better character - I completely agree with you. I mean, it's not that I think the "shy" thing is over done or anything like that (even though it is), but Mizuno is just kinda bland. I don't feel like there's anything there worth dating. Sure, she's athletic and composed and intelligent, but is that all he should want in a girl? I feel like her only character flaw is being a bit of an airhead. And that just works even more of her charm for Kousaka. Seems like they've made her "too perfect".

The relationship between Mizuno and Kousaka just isn't meant to be. I mean, she flat out says, spoiler[ that she wants to go over to Kousaka's house to play with his cat] If she's just thinking about that and trying to avoid causing a lover's quarrelspoiler[ between him and all the supposed girl friends she "thinks" he has], then that relationship definitely isn't going anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
But keep in mind, she did seem bothered when she thought that Kousaka was going out with the childhood friend. And she seems bothered by the sight of Kousaka hugging the mailgirl. In terms of a traditional harem show, they seem to setting up Mizuno as the one he'll eventually be with, but it is entirely possible they may pull a trick out of their sleeve. We'll see.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But keep in mind, she did seem bothered when she thought that Kousaka was going out with the childhood friend. And she seems bothered by the sight of Kousaka hugging the mailgirl. In terms of a traditional harem show, they seem to setting up Mizuno as the one he'll eventually be with, but it is entirely possible they may pull a trick out of their sleeve. We'll see.

Very true.

I really feel like they're pushing it hard though. As in, to the point that it just won't happen. With the development they gave in ep 4 spoiler[ the hugging scene in the scare house] it seemed like a good confession moment. Or even when he "fell over".

Kinda hoping they do throw a curve ball - esp since they're not giving us much of the cat curse stuff so far.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
They're just prolonging things because this is a 12 episode show, and they clearly don't intend to show anything after the two become a couple. They've still got 7 episodes to go, and they just had the main girl find out the male guy likes her. Considering she likes him, they should be due for some sort of confession and dating asap. The only way that could not happen was if the person who knew how they both felt (Mizuno) was confused in some way and unsure. That's what the "I thought you were dating childhood friend girl" and the various girls she's seen him with does. It's all a way to prevent them from getting together too early in the show. I don't mind it, really. It's different from the normal awkward, slowly developing relationship you usually see in a harem, and allows for more tension between them.

Curse stuff is about to come into play big time next episode (Mizuno listening as that girl who knows about the curse talks to him?). So I'm looking forward to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I agree with others that the harem vibe is just boreing. With this episode I just couldn't shake the feeling of Shuffle!, probably partialy due to the setting, though it may be from the over harem feel.

Some interesting moments, but heres hoping future episodes are better.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I've officially dropped this series as of episode 4. Just not enough substance in it to justify the bandwidth usage.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I've officially dropped this series as of episode 4. Just not enough substance in it to justify the bandwidth usage.

episode 5 was actually pretty good. might want to give it one last chance.

The episode actually tries to drive away from the harem and pull some surprising events.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Not enough cats in episode 5... He didn't get a single task done! I think he's up to something like 8+ by my count? Still, the ending seemed promising.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Not enough cats in episode 5... He didn't get a single task done! I think he's up to something like 8+ by my count? Still, the ending seemed promising.

Indeed, I certainly picked up this show to see the cats and how they would play on this intertwined with the generic harem sub-plot. At least all the girls are likeable unlike in Love Hina. The only harem I have liked so far though is School Days Very Happy so perhaps I am being unfair. I would like to see this go along the childhood friend route like others have stated but alas seems unlikely. I shall keep watching this show however because this along with Kimi ni Todoke and Sasameki Koto are making up my weekly HHNNGG/cute quota.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6