• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It has a beautiful trap so I'm it for the long run
larethian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
The anime adaptation pales in comparison to the original light novel series. The first 2 episodes seemed to be the adaptation for volume 1 which has much more content, and they failed to illustrate Sakamoto Yuuji's ingenuity and foresight in his tactics and strategy, as well as the advantages Yoshii Akihisa has as a Kansatsu Shobunsha.

spoiler[In the light novel volume 1: they skipped class E; fought D and won; negotiated with D to set up a sabotage against B which will become an integral part of a strategy to beat B later; declared war on B, sabotaged an alliance between B & C; set C up against A; beat B and negotiated with B to apply psychological pressure against A. The final outcome of the duels with A were the same however.] Overall the light novel was hilarious and the battles were well thought out and very interesting.

Anyway will still watch the anime; not hoping for it to be identical to the novel; just hoping the adaptation will become better in bringing out the characters qualities from the novel.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
^ Thats very sad then. It looks like first novel had enough content for entire season. At this rate they'll cover all eight(might be wrong here) volumes by the end of TV series, insanely skipping content while they are at it. Sad panda is sad.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Someone always has to make some sort of complaint don't they?
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
Larethian: that's how I actually thought it would go, because the class rep definitely has some brains. It's a real pity they did that. Are they trying to cram all the novels inside one season? Or maybe even go with original content?..
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
I am pleased to say that it remains entirely nonsensical and just as entertaining. But with added Ho Yay Confused
larethian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the spoiler[deadly] Himeji's spoiler[handmade bento], which has yet to appear in the anime =). Episode 3 is mostly filler-based though interesting. They re-organized some scenes and expanded on it. If they are going to do volume 2 next, which comprises of spoiler[a school festival with a shoukanjuu tournament], I pray they include the spoiler[match "Yuuji+Akihisa VS Shouko+Yuuko"]. It will be hilariously funny! www! Crossing my fingers for tonight's episode.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Up to episode 4 so far and it's been pretty damn funny the whole time! The characters are generic but the jokes are good. The inquisition in episode 4 was a nice touch. I don't know about you guys but I find this is way better than any comedy from last year. Next to Durarara, this may be the best show of this season.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Up to episode 4 so far and it's been pretty damn funny the whole time! The characters are generic but the jokes are good. The inquisition in episode 4 was a nice touch. I don't know about you guys but I find this is way better than any comedy from last year. Next to Durarara, this may be the best show of this season.

And astro sunred
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
*Niomo Casts Resurrect!*

After being mostly disappointed with the past few episodes, the gem of episode 6 finally appeared.

Now look, I'll say it straight out. I'm a guy. I like looking at girls in bathing suits. However, when the jokes are aimed more at the guys and the pool, among other locations, I can't help but laugh my ass off.

Episode 6, imo, was pretty much just joke after joke after joke, and while it did include breast and swimsuit jokes, it also featured hilarious reverse traps and lots of eye poking.

I approve Bake. You gain +2 weeks of my attention.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Meh, my interest in this show was never massive to begin with and it is dwindling. This show has about five gags and it flogs them relentlessly: the trap, Main Guy's hunger due to lack of cash, Pink Hair's lethal cooking, Spooky Girl's over-the-top possessiveness, etc. It all makes the show seem tired and lame.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Finished episode 6 a few days ago. Totally hilarious. My favourites are: "she speaks German", "WHO DID THIS?!?" and "He can see it but... I don't feel happy at all". In fact, I think it's the funnies single episode out of all the comedies I've seen. I don't have favourite comedy series but if I had to select an overall funnies episode - this would be it.

Also just finished episode 7 on which I have nothing to say other than: neat new opening and closing sequence!

By this point even had I not known that anime version is more of an "alternate universe/retelling" than direct adaptation of light novels I could tell that Baka has little to no direction. Lost during transition? I only see bits and pieces of what used to be a story as it seems like the anime has been reduced to a gag show. Some episodes still manage to shine brightly (like episodes one, two and six) while others don't impress at all (most of them, aside from first two, feel aimless as well).

I still think this is best series this season, but frankly there is little competition (and I haven't caught up on Durarara yet).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
BEST SERIES THIS SEASON??? Dude, I had no idea you'd become such a heavy pot smoker. Twisted Evil I put this show at the pretty much at the bottom of the class. I'll put it ahead of Chu-Bra!! but frankly I get a bigger kick out of Ladies vs. Butlers! (man what's with all the exclamation points in titles this winter?)
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I am not drunk nor high, so don't worry Cool .

"Best of season" just means "better compared to others". There is no show that stands out this season, and overall quality isn't that high either.
gokuyuske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this show is quite hilarious and far better than most of the other shows this season. The characters are just really funny (main character starving to death, guy everyone treats as a girl, creepy voyeur, etc).

Also I loved the Ashita no Joe reference in the latest episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6