• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL (OAV + TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I thought this was a wierd anime for a long time, until I got into the REALLY wierd ones. Check out Cat Soup, then try and call this the "wierdest ever", I dare you.

HAHAHA! Yes, Cat Soup is truly weird.
SpeedyG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole series just so that I could make a real opinion. And I'm pretty sure I like it, pretty sure Razz There were definitely parts that I liked and parts that left me totally confused, but it's different and did things that other anime hasn't done to my knowledge.

Definitely worth the time spent watching it though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Since this was listed as the main thread of this series I'm going to go ahead and post in it to give my thoughts of this bizarre series. I've heard that this series has been out for quite a while, but that doesn't bother me because I get around to a series when I find the opportune moment to get around to it. Anyways, one thing I liked about the series was the soundtrack. Nothing to the extreme, just good old guitar playing and rock and roll. Second, the character of Haruko Haruhara, with her personality, nature, and way of doing things was one to make me laugh when watching the series. Her riding on her motorcycle, and her wacking people with her guitar was certainly a piece of the entertainment pie.
Xeio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
The anime is a bit on the crazy side, but I loved it enough to buy the collection. I just wish it was longer, they crammed so much goodness into 6 episodes I'd have loved to see what they could do with a few more. Razz

I must say it's nice having the booklet and directors commentaries, makes a lot of that wtf stuff make just a little more sense (well, a little). But hey, I'm a sucker for collectors editions anyway. Cool
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
I didn't think it was THAT weird. I just thought it was something new, cause before watching FLCL I've never seen anything that's similar.

And about Naota being a babe magnet. Well he is kinda cute Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yhukiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
its the show that got me into the trend of watching anime

and the highschool girl likes him because she digged his brother and since he's gone she replaces him with naota and haruko likes him because of 1 he's the one with the things popping out of his head and 2 only way she can get to the pirate king (at least from what i got from it there wasnt much of a connection otherwise in my opinion)
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this series really was just one of the craziest things I've ever seen! But that's mostly why I loved it so much. It and Bobobo-bobo-bobo I swear are the 2 funnest and funniest things out there to watch. I know for sure I've never laughed as hard during an anime series as I have with these 2 (probably FLCL more so than Bobobo though), but that aside, there really was some quite interesting story, emotional, and character points in FLCL particularly, which even then it got quite crazy and weird, which was awesome! You really have to wonder what was going on in the minds of the guys that created this series.

I'm not so sure about the whole idea of it being confusing though. I didn't feel like it was confusing at all. I felt like I got a good understanding of everything that was going on and was being said, which is probably why I was able to laugh so hard watching it. Unless I really am confused and I just don't know it, and that's how confusing it is. Confused

I think though that you definitely have to take a much different approach to this series than you do anything else. You can't go into it expecting the ordinary, because that's not what you're going to get from this series. It really is quite unlike anything else out there, and the creator just had to have been out of his mind or something when he created it, and in kind of a strange way, I actually have it rated as a masterpiece for those exact same reasons.

P.S. it definitely has one of the best soundtracks ever! The Pillows Rock! Anime exclamation

Zalis116 wrote:
I'd have to agree with this... FLCL is fairly weird, but Cat Soup treads into that realm of experimental anime where you almost need to be high/stoned/whatever to get the most out of it. At least that was my take on it. FLCL did have some wtf moments for me, but I found that it made sense within its own realm of logic.

I've never seen Cat Soup, but I think in FLCL's case if you've ever seen the movie Fight Club, I'd have to say in this exact same way the overall feel of the series actually kind of reminded me of it.
Andrue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
the first time i saw flcl i was like 11 or 12.
i saw it on adult swim and i was just like, what the hell was that.
its hard to catch everything even if youre familiar with the series.
i hated it at first but now i really dig it.
and bobobo is like visual crack.
voddas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
Never seen FLCL. After reading through this forum has made me wish I have now. Definately adding to my want see list. I love the crazy stuff Very Happy
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
I saw FLCL for the first time when I was around 15, and I've just done a rewatch yesterday and the day before... And I think it's really, really awesome. The characters are just too interesting and deep.

The animation style is excellent, with lots of CG and animation techniques like Bullet-Time and stuff. The manga scenes and the missile scenes (the ones where Naota fights inside Canti) are really well made IMHO. Also, did anyone think that many, many parts of FLCL resemble Production I.G.'s movie "Dead Leaves" ?

All in all, I think it's a pristine production with Great Animation, Soundtrack and Characters. The only bad part is that it seemed as if they tried too hard to make it weird or cool by cramming lots of unnecessary stuff, especially the robot father and other elements like that one.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I had read the manga earlier before I watched the anime, and I think that in this case the anime seemed better for me. This is a rare case so far where I have thought that the anime was better. The manga was hard to follow, and the artwork seemed a bit over the extreme. In a way the anime was easier to follow, with better looking characters, and nothing stuck in one particular storyline arc for an extended period of time.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
I think it's a good show . . . I just can't say why. I'm sorry to say, as of yet, I don't understand most of it, despite viewing the whole thing. I think it has to be seen multiple times before you can fully appreciate it. Good thing it's only 6 episodes for that reason, although a few more might have slowed it some and made it more inderstandable. I definitely think it's the weirdest anime ever. The jury's still out for me as for what I think of it overall. It has a pretty amazing soundtrack with the pillows, at least.
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
FLCL was the first comedy orientated anime i ever watched, and i must say that it was a pretty good introduction.

its great cause as crazy and stupid as it gets u still feel somehow that there some sort of deep meaning behind it all?!

probably not thou lol! but thats just a vibe i picked up!

anyway i never read the mangas but i intend to at some stage because i was a bit dissapointed that it ended after 6 eps Sad

they really could have made a full series out of it!
AegisX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Oh lawd. God I love FLCL. I really, really do. As it was one of the first anime I saw that wasn't Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, I got to love, even though I didn't understand half the jokes or innuendos when I first saw it(I was only twelve, and twas a stupid child). Insane and perverted humor is always a good thing... if pulled off correctly at least.
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
I hate FLCL, in fact it's one of my most disliked series. All it seemed to say was we have crazy characters, now try and understand them! Mwahaha! I don't think I could ever respect a series that has pointless craziness, it had nothing to say. No comedy, drama, romance, all it was was just really gross metamorphosis and some fanserviced cat lady that was anything but funny. I couldn't get past the fourth episode and that's saying a lot since it's only 6 episodes long. I feel that the series was just a dead end, they were trying to experiment (which is admirable) but didn't publish the successful result. There was an interesting setting and maybe an interesting in-depth family characterisation which is quite rare in anime but apart from that it was so generically bland that it became unbearable.

So far all you guys have said that it is good because it's crazy. Well if you want crazy series that actually have a decent plot and amusing characters then I can recommend a number to you. Anyone who says that FLCL is original or groundbreaking has obviously fallen into the "omg it doesn't make sense and therefore is so cool" trap.

It reminds me of those bands that add five minutes of random beeping or talking or unrecognizable noises to the last song of their album, it's becoming a trend in indie bands and it annoys the crap out of me. I didn't pay to hear (or see) something which will have absolutely no significance on my enjoyment of the entire product. FLCL is exactly the same thing in anime form, just one completely stupid character given an unnecessarily crazy excuse to look and act crazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4