• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Muscle-Bound Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I watched Danganronpa. Other than spoiler[dieing in the gym], Sakura Ōgami did really do much (in terms of activities you'd relate a muscle-bound characters).

Is that really how the anime goes down? In the game she spoiler[challenges Monokumo as she is the one giving the nutter info and refuses to do so anymore... She commits suicide in the game room and that pretty much unifies the others]. . Still though she is considered one of the heroes.

the anime follows the game story. not sure what that guy is talking about.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
I kind of wish Master Roshi made it on the list... he many not be an actual hero, but he did help train some.

Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Younger Toguro should of been on this list.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
albanian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Just a remote suggestion but - if Millie Thompson is included - might not Maggie Mui, from ROD the TV, merit a mention?

And speaking of going to Japan: no, I have never been - but bar being confined to a wheelchair with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, and unable to board a plane due to intermittent seriously low blood pressure, I'd be there in a shot! Does anyone know of any nice gentle six-month cruises from the UK to Japan? No, thought not. Ah well...
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
^ As much as I love R.O.D, Maggie wouldn't be on the list. Sure she's tall and the power horse of the team, but she never displays any sign of super strength except creating those giant puppets.

And the list only considers "hero" so Toguro and Raoh wouldn't fit. I can't see why no Kenshiro, but why no Street Fighter or Tekken characters, those guys are as buff as heck.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote

MUSCULAR MEN! Twisted Evil This is just getting me even more excited for next week!
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Milly just seems odd on this list. Yeah she must be pretty strong to carry a heavy weapon but she never really shows any kind of muscle, and certainly never does anything to get a reputation of being "muscle bound" other than being naturally tall.

If you're really desperate for female reps I wanna know why someone like Bisuke can't make it onto a list like this.

If they wanted a muscle-bound female how about the ultimate: Mari from Project A-ko. Sure, she starts off as a villainous stooge, and she looks like a huge black guy cosplaying as a sailor schoolgirl, but her voice competes with C-ko's for eardrum piercing, and, in the end, she and the rest of B-ko's henchman have turned good to help A-ko rescue C-ko and defeat the aliens. And she's a parody of Fist of the North Star, so including her should mollify everyone who felt leaving that out was a crime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Count me among those shocked to not see Kenshiro on the list!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Has anyone mentioned any Fairy Tail characters yet?

Makarov in fighting mode is not only muscle-bound, but 30 feet tall. Or how about Laxus or Gildarts or Gajeel.

The more slender set has of course Natsu and Grey, both of which aren't really bulky but they have great abs.

And, if you have to have a girl in there, there's always Erza.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Er...Did I just miss it or is the poll missing a "lived there in the past" option? I saw "born there but left" and "currently live there", but I mean, that would leave out a lot of military and JET folks.

A study abroad option would have been nice, in my case, since it's not really vacation or living there. But I figured vacation was closest so that's what I went with. Smile
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I think Aisha Clanclan from Outlaw star could have easily made the list.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree in that Milly's inclusion makes absolutely no sense. Even if she is strong, there is absolutely no indication that she's "muscle bound".

Hell, even Mikasa is a better candidate than Milly is.

In my opinion, take out Milly, swap Joseph with Jonathan, drop Guts to #3, put in Kenshiro at #2, and make Armstrong #1. Then make the list a top 10 instead of a top 7 and bring in Toriko, Goku and someone like Takamura from Hajime no Ippo.

THAT would be a list I could agree with.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Sheesh mate... Just having a little fun and expressing my own reason for not going. Have a drink and relax... On me of course Very Happy
Anime dazed

Who's unrelaxed? (And who's not having a drink?) If you thought I sounded unrelaxed, please avoid any Aniplex-related threads. Won't be good for your heart. Wink

I wasn't just replying to you; if I was, I would have quoted you. You were the third person with a "my reason for not going isn't on the poll" response.

(And you did backhandedly call the poll/pollster "dishonest".)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I agree in that Milly's inclusion makes absolutely no sense. Even if she is strong, there is absolutely no indication that she's "muscle bound".

Hell, even Mikasa is a better candidate than Milly is.

In my opinion, take out Milly, swap Joseph with Jonathan, drop Guts to #3, put in Kenshiro at #2, and make Armstrong #1. Then make the list a top 10 instead of a top 7 and bring in Toriko, Goku and someone like Takamura from Hajime no Ippo.

THAT would be a list I could agree with.

I agree with this revision. Except Goku, who I personally don't think makes the cut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4