• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I love Bon's fox-face, and we got to see it a couple of times this ep.

I was reminded somehow of Gin from Bleach.

Speaking of the artwork, is it just me or is the art style in the opening credits significantly different from the artwork used in the story? For example the colors in the anime all seem to be what you would expect form a woodcut, but in the opening credits you see brightly colored "anime" hair. Did a different company do the credits?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Kono Danshi - Mahou ga Oshigoto Desu, and Chiharu Kashima is a dead ringer for Bon, right down to his clothing and serious but insecure demeanor.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Bon essentially broke up with her right? It played an interesting counterbalance to the sudden story he started talking about when walking in the night about not being able to confess feelings to a girl. Instead it seemed like rather than talk things out he was just avoiding her, and despite his intentions he could not commit with an answer of "no" in visiting her at work, making her case a bit sad as she seems to really care about him.

Although it may not mean he does not care about her at all, but at this time he feels that he needs to put his energy into Rakugo, right now it is his love. I wonder if after the trip he will try and get back with her, only that she is upset at him, or even moved on to a person that was kind of taking her place. The drunk who spends money for presentation on drinks. Bon seemed quite happy that it him this time that was taking the place of traveling with the master.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I love Bon's fox-face, and we got to see it a couple of times this ep.

I was reminded somehow of Gin from Bleach.

Speaking of the artwork, is it just me or is the art style in the opening credits significantly different from the artwork used in the story? For example the colors in the anime all seem to be what you would expect form a woodcut, but in the opening credits you see brightly colored "anime" hair. Did a different company do the credits?

Not necessarily a different company, but a different animation director may have done the opening animation. It's not uncommon for that to happen in an anime production. I can think of numerous series in which that was the case.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Oh my, the intimacy level just pegged the meter in this episode, which is truly remarkable with so little physical contact. And for something that's not a mystery or action series, I was still on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

Kiku is certainly in an untenable position. He wants to be alone with his rakugo, but requires an audience and the human infrastructure of the craft, wants to be with Sukeroku but can't, needs to get married but can't marry the one woman he has some feelings for.

I think Kiku kicking him out is the beginning of the end for Sukeroku, who seems unfit to take care of himself. Even Kiku really couldn't rein in his self-destructive impulses.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Damn...I feel bad for Miyokichi this episode. She's gone through relationships after relationships and Kiku was someone that she really loved. But now, they really have broken up. It didn't surprise me much that Kiku did break up with her though. And it was a weird timing for him to see Miyokichi in that position.

Kiku and Hatsutaro's farewell also stood out to me this episode but at least they left on good terms. Not sure why but I found that embrace to be funny. Still, there's a lot of feels this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

These episodes with abbreviated (or no) rakugo performances are a bummer. The show drags a fair bit outside of them. Unfortunately, reducing the amount of rakugo has been a trend the last few episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Wow. Just wow.

That was a very powerful emotional filled episode. I don't even know where to begin but it seems like the three main leads - Kiku, Miyokichi, and Sukeroku really has a much more complex relationship now. I think Kiku made a mistake though about Miyokichi. He should of gave her a chance. As for Sukeroku, he better not give up on rakugo. It's in his blood and veins to perform.

Great episode overall with very powerful and real dialogues. Some of Miyokichi's conversation with Kiku is quite memorable especially the part about "revenge". I think might actually be the most intense episode yet of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
She seems to be working to hasten Sukeroku's downward spiral just to get back at Kiku.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
As for Sukeroku, he better not give up on rakugo.

I'm not sure what he can do. Being expelled by the master means the association also disavows him and he can't play in theaters. Seems like he is totally out in the cold.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was intense.

The thing is that we know that Sukeroku is right, in it its current form Rakugo will die with the changing climate of Japan. I think that there is funny relationship between the two boys in looking towards the future, Sukeroku looks to see how Rakugo will change in the future and wants to continue entertainment that will fit into it. But Kiku uses foresight in needing to act a certain way to appease the group still in charge, we see him adapt to the changing climate of Japan as it is at that point in time, such as in the clothes he wears.

The girl though is dragging him down. She has found her place as a geisha also disappearing with the changing climate of Japan, and unfortunately it does not look to good for people in her position, at least some level of theft.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

Something about the direction of this series has been irking me, and it took until this episode to fully realize what it was. If I was looking at the show as a series of disconnected scenes, I'd probably think the directing was fine. When I look back on the series though, I don't feel like there's a distinct angle or personality behind it. It's as if each individual scene was put to committee vote rather than the series being hand crafted. Everyone else seems to love the direction, so I might be alone in this.

On the plus side, the pacing on this last episode felt pretty spot on. Before now, I've felt the outside-of-rakugo scenes felt oddly empty.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Nice episode, Yakumo's death seems to have inspired Kiku to create his own rakugo this episode. Not only that but I think his performance was rather unique, especially in terms of body language and literal words. I think the rakugo he made had quite a of emotions poured into it. Pure raw emotions.

That kid at the end is kinda funny, especially considering how much potential she showed. I kinda like how the show ties in fate together for certain events in this story, another theme perhaps in this show.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

There's been a lot of build up to Kiku's rendition of Shinigami and I have to say... I'm disappointed. It just felt so hammy to me.

I don't think the direction did it any favors either. The earlier rakugo sections had restrained themselves somewhat, and I think they went a bit overboard in an attempt to capture the magic of the performance. I realize they're trying to set apart what is meant to be a masterful performance but at the same time you detract from that performance when you add too many adornments. It was like being told a character is a genius rather than them every actually doing anything smart. If this was a show about cooking, rather than rakugo, I could understand. After all, you can't taste via the TV. Rather than capturing a masterful performance with strong character animation, voice acting, and simple camera work they sort of drew over it with sharpie.

What I did really like is how the 7th generation Yakumo's conversation with Kiku about the previous Sukeroku expanded and advanced the theme of traditionalism vs modernization. Hopefully this is all setting up a strong conclusion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
That kid at the end, Konatsu. She is the woman from the first episode, right? The daughter that he will also look after. She has a fairly similar (nasally) voice too, which is courtesy of Kobayashi Yuu.

It still feels like Bon is really uncertain regardless of what people think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6