• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Talentless Nana (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

We learn more about Nana's backstory. I'm not sure how "real" her memories are. It's possible they've been implanted by The Committee to make her a willing tool. Or perhaps The Committee was behind the incident as a way of manipulating Nana. Her love of games like shogi, Go and chess certainly explain her skill at being able to think up clever schemes and strategies.

It seems every year there's a class of Talenteds and every year an agent of The Committee tries to take them out. Five years ago the agent was somebody with a chunibyo complex. That's what makes me think The Committee primes each of its agents some way mentally to make sure they carry out their mission.

It would be pretty funny if The Committee was made up of the Enemies of Humanity.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
I assumed earlier that Nana had a background that would explain why she is so set on killing Talented, and presumably powers that be would have convinced her that the one who killed her parents and chopped them up were Talented. I would further make guesses that her older brother was not a throw away detail, so my theory would be that her brother was a Talented, the committee killed her parents to cover something up, and as luck would have it they then persuaded her to their cause because she is a genius.

The end of the episode seems to imply that the ponytail girl killed the person this time, presumably all these other deaths have set off at least one person who may have been predisposed to killing. I do wonder if that has something to do with how when a person naturally has some sort of dangerous power, they might unconsciously feel pressured to use it.

My guess for the direction of the series is Nana is eventually going to change sides, and based on Michiru labored breathing from liberal use of her power, I wonder if that that is going to have something to do with it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So, it looks like Nana might have finally realised that the potential kill count number is totally bogus. That after really hearing Michiru's backstory, there is no way that number makes sense for her. Michiru's tale was sad and sweet, but Nana just might have had her worldview collapse, where she will be up to recognising that she did some bad stuff in killing innocent people. And the person that groomed Nana into what she was is about to go there personally.

I would be surprised if Michiru survives the next episode, I think that her number is about to be up.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't much of an ending. Hoping we get more. didn't think it would be possible but I do actually feel sorry for Nana
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

So, yeah, Michiru sacrificed herself to save Nana, just after Nana had sacrificed herself so that Michiru could get away safely, even saying the story she had been telling herself to Michiru to get her to abandon her. It did not work, and Michiru came back to save Nana from the brink of death. Was pretty heart breaking, that just as Michiru had also convinced Nana that she could not be responsible for the death of her parents, Nana's room was clean so they must have cleaned it that night and would have closed the window, she now has to feel responsible for the death of her first friend.

Oh, and the real killer was not the girlfriend, it was the guy who can astral project, we got the clues from seeing how his powers worked earlier, that he could have used them while being lectured. This does feel a bit disappointing as an actual end of a season, especially if no more anime comes out. There is pretty much nothing at all of closure as it just kind of ended with Kyouya stopping the killer, and Nana over Michiru's lifeless body. There is like nothing to decompress from this, I would say that it does not even feel like a finale, if I did not look up in places to see that people are saying that it is. A thirteenth episode is already a bit above average for length, and 2020 is just about over, but feels like a single episode would be needed, even if it was mostly flashbacks to what Nana did during the show, how she might have changed at the end. She went to attention when she got the call from the guy who groomed her, but I wonder how close she is to putting her thoughts in order to not follow him anymore.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show, it has been one of my top shows of the season, starting from its surprise twist first episode, into its cat and mouse story following a villain protagonist, to her maybe shift at the end. I know a lot of comments I saw had people just outright hate the character of Nana, a lot of viewers just wanting her to be the one killed off, I would say that I was pretty invested. I am not even generally a fan of things like death game stuff that has youth being killed in ways that could turn stomachs, but I genuinely actually had fun with this show.

My rating is Very good (8/10), you probably should not miss this one, I just hope most people can enjoy it the way it is intended.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't really sound like an ending, but more like a cliffhanger. Nothing is really resolved.

Liking a character like Nana is not a problem, but you still might be asked the question, who would you root for if one of Nana's victim's families or loved ones came a calling. Nana as a state sanctioned assassin would prevent any justice that we are familiar with. The only option for the loved ones would be a revenge killing.

There could be a story, where Nana joins her victim's families to get revenge, but Nana as shown in the anime didn't kill these teenagers because they were bad or evil, but just because they had powers. Sort of like the X-Men.

Could you really work with someone who thinks of humans like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3