• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Licensee Announced with Unico as 1st Title

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Well isn't this like the circle of life then. One distributor dies away another new one springs up anew. I remember Unico back in the early Eighty's and I tried like 'ell to find a legal new copy only to be disappointed just recently. I've waited 25 years, a few more months won't matter.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
They don't have the license for the 1979 movie but then the rights belong to a different company and it hasn't even been released on DVD in Japan either.

Is that movie under a perpetual rights contract? Question
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Keonyn: I think what's ironic is that the bigger companies are failing precisely because they're over-investing in newer shows, while the newer companies like Discotek, ImaginAsian, and New Galaxy are able to bring older shows, because they're cheaper and stand out more than the new stuff. If only Animeigo put in as much effort at distributing, they might still sell anime... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, ADV was notorious for over-licensing, although I'm not sure that's why Geneon fell. Geneon was doing just about everything wrong they could do when it came to marketing to a niche market. Funi seems to be doing quite well for themselves as one of the biggest licensors in the US so who knows.

Quote:
Of course, being an English dub fan, I'm tempering all hope with a strong does of "can they afford to dub it?"

Might be in luck, even though they're a small company a lot of the older titles will likely have cheaper price tags which would give them more to work with for dubbing fees. If licensing old titles is their plan right now it's really a good idea, it gives them cheaper licenses with all but guaranteed appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
8D
...UNICO! YAH~! I tought this would never make it back to the US~! ESPECIALLY with both languages. I wonder if they'll do all 4 (two=given on site).

Recomendation for company: STAR OF COTTONLAND! (forgot the Japanese title at the moment).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It's been 2 years and yet we've gotten NO reply from them! I wonder what could be going on? Is the economy being stupid on them now?!?
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
It's been 2 years and yet we've gotten NO reply from them! I wonder what could be going on? Is the economy being stupid on them now?!?

...I was just thinking this.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

It was always a long shot. Unico is a niche title—worse, an old niche title—not a sure-fire hit. But I was also looking forward to buying it. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3